Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a lift

Red face Need a lift

I'm hoping to catch good weather and a ride to Goose Bay (Culrose Pass 1/3 thru on left) to retrieve my boat. Had to leave it Sunday when Port Wells chopped up, but had to keep everyone's schedule. We all came back in my Brother n law's Sea Sport. Of course, I will pay for your fuel & dinner. If interested, call 632-9858.

Thanks,
    Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Heading out Friday

Heading out Friday weather permitting, could give you a ride if you haven't already got out.
    Might even leave Thursday afternoon,
    Dave

Default Saturday

weather permitting.... Saturday (June 28). Will have wife and 3 little ones but we could make it work... I'm heading to Paulson Bay.

Smile Wait for the weather

Doug from Anchorage,
    I bet your brother-in-law can take you back to your boat anytime, he is probably just waiting until he can take you back when the seas will allow you to bring your boat back also. He is probably a boating fanatic and checks the maritime weather out of habbit twice a day because of his addiction to boating. Wanting to get home and not waiting for weather in safe harbors is a top reason for losing boat and life. Be patient, don't get dropped at your boat only to be stuck with it out there also, your brother-in-law wouldn't steer you wrong.

Thumbs up Wise Choice To Wait

Glad you guys used some common sense and didn't risk comming back in the small aluminum. Cochrane Bay was pretty ugly when I came across after I met up with you guys at N. Culross. Glad everyone made it home SAFE.

Dream Catcher, It was good to meet you and thank you for the heads up on the seas. It was a tough decision to leave his boat, but better than being stuck out there with a new set of issues on the horizon, food, shelter, time, etc. We cruised in on my boat shortly after you and it was an easy voyage. We can retrieve his boat when the time is right and not a minute sooner. Again, nice meeting you and happy boating.

Wink Winmag or Muskie

If you guys are headed thru Culrose passage before I make it down, could I talk you into checking up on my rig? Give me a shout if you can. 632-9858.

Thanks,
    Doug
    how to act in public

Default msg

Hey Doug good to talk to ya...

I'm gonna send ya PM as well...

Default No problem

Will probably be running by it on Friday Morning, will give you a call when I a have cell service.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I'm hoping to catch good weather and a ride to Goose Bay (Culrose Pass 1/3 thru on left) to retrieve my boat. Had to leave it Sunday when Port Wells chopped up, but had to keep everyone's schedule. We all came back in my Brother n law's Sea Sport. Of course, I will pay for your fuel & dinner. If interested, call 632-9858.

Thanks,
    Doug

How is it going getting your boat back???

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default Checked on it Friday

Talked with Doug Friday night, I think he was going out Sat. Morning.
    Friday morning when I saw it the boat had filled with water and was sitting on the bottom.
    It was high tide and about 16inches of the motor was out of the water, boat was full.
    I came back in the afternoon and most of the water had drained, not sure where it went drain plug was in and water was below any other holes. I hope he had luck floating it
    and getting it out, I had a sick feeling seeing it like that.
    Dave

I have a sick feeling just reading this...I really hope he was able to get it floated and out of there with minimal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Talked with Doug Friday night, I think he was going out Sat. Morning.
    Friday morning when I saw it the boat had filled with water and was sitting on the bottom.
    It was high tide and about 16inches of the motor was out of the water, boat was full.
    I came back in the afternoon and most of the water had drained, not sure where it went drain plug was in and water was below any other holes. I hope he had luck floating it
    and getting it out, I had a sick feeling seeing it like that.
    Dave

Thumbs up I gotter back!

Yep. Just like Dave said, she went to the bottom. We timed our arrival for low tide on Saturday. We drained it and changed the crankcase oil. Took a new battery and gas tank hoping to get her to fire up. So, we took the plugs out and cranked it over and water shot out across the lagoon. We sprayed some heet into the cylinders and tryed to dry it out, but I think the EFI was toast. We had to tow it back.

Anyways, the good news is, it's back, it's insured and nobody is hurt. I will share my insurance experience later.

I appreciate your assistance and condolences guys. This forum rocks!
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Yep. Just like Dave said, she went to the bottom. We timed our arrival for low tide on Saturday. We drained it and changed the crankcase oil. Took a new battery and gas tank hoping to get her to fire up. So, we took the plugs out and cranked it over and water shot out across the lagoon. We sprayed some heet into the cylinders and tryed to dry it out, but I think the EFI was toast. We had to tow it back.

Anyways, the good news is, it's back, it's insured and nobody is hurt. I will share my insurance experience later.

I appreciate your assistance and condolences guys. This forum rocks!
    Any idea why she went to the bottom?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Glad to hear you got her back ok!!!

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I am so glad you got your boat back Doug. After reading Muskie's last post I was feeling for you hard. Late last Nov I almost lost my boat while deer hunting. The engine, outdrive and batteries were flooded with saltwater and had to come back on the kicker but we made it. Still putting the pieces back together to get out this year . Good luck to you.

Flood that thing with fresh water(including the motor) excess is a good thing in this case......and then start drying it out. Take a look at any and all your electrical connections. Get them apart sprayed with something and then use dielectric grease to put them back together.

As far as the no start on the motor it probably toasted the ECU when you hooked the new battery up. Any of the engine connections holding saltwater will short the ECU out.

Doug lets hear the reason you think it went down. Help us fella's out from makin' the same mistake

Unhappy That sucks

I was hoping it was a joke. Sorry to hear Doug about the sinking. Hope all goes well.

Like everyone else, why did she go down? Not enough anchor line?

I had a friend many years ago who anchor her boat at Deep Creek, only to send it to the bottom because she did not consider the 30ft difference in the tide.

Good luck!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Sucks is right!!!

I read this in another post titled "Whittier this weekend". This may be the reason the boat swamped.

"I should have said squirreled it away. No, it should be floating. It's tied off bow & stern across the NW lagoon in Goose Bay. It should be fine. I need to get back to it soon though."

I hope everthing will be made whole again soon. Lots of summer left.

Unhappy Best of Luck

I'm really sorry to hear about your boat, especially since you showed such good judgement on not pushing the limits and attempting a rough water passage back to Whittier. Hopefully when the dust settles you can share with the rest of us what went wrong on the anchoring problem. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast