Thread: Nikon Spotting scopes

Default Nikon Spotting scopes

Question regarding Hi guys:

I am looking at getting a spotting scope and I have no background using them. I currently use Zeiss binos and love them, well worth the money!

I have a guy who is trying to sell me on a Nikon Monarch SW 460 XCR spotting scope. Any opinions out there would help a bunch. I am having a tough time finding any info on this model.

Walt

Good for anything but sheep, Sheep demand high quality optics or a strong back and willingness to climb to have a look.

Steve

I am not aware of Nikon ever producing a spotter in their "monarch" line. They have rifle scopes, bino's, and range finders with the Monarch badge but no spotters. I personally would take the best glass you can afford especially when hunting sheep. I have seen pictures of Tony Russ using one of the Nikon spotters.

I recall him comenting that it had a reasonable weight and was low profile enough that he was able to use it while peaking over a ridge without showing to much of himself. As far as the model you are refering too it apears to be a jumble of several different Nikon optics models none of them being a spotter

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys. I think I need to stay spoiled and stick with Zeiss. My Zeiss Binos are so nice I think the Nikon will be a disappointment.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Nikon Field Scope

The best portable spotter for sheep hunting might be the 50 mm Nikon ED field scope. You get a very good spotter in an extremely portable package. They run about 500-600 dollars.

The Big Nikons deliver as well.
    The Nikon Field Scope delivers a very good image. However, it lacks a bit of eye relief. I am myopic.
    My Zeiss works great and offers excellent eye relief.
    You really aren't losing much if you get the big Nikon Field Scope ED but you end up paying about 1200.

Its better than those self-contained 15X45X60 rubberized nikons or bushnells.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I need to stay spoiled and stick with Zeiss. My Zeiss Binos are so nice I think the Nikon will be a disappointment.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    I have had the opportunity to use Alaska_Lanche's 65mm diascope in the field. I have no doubt that one will give you great service. Next best thing to being there. I would definately get the cover for it! I think that the Swaro has a more rugged feel than the zeiss but with the cover it shouldn't much matter.

Default Nice Zeiss posted for sale.

There is a nice 65FL Diascope with cover posted for sale. I can tell you I love my Zeiss 85FL but the 65 would be great for sheep hunting and general hunting all over. You can't beat that price.

Sincerely,

Thomas