Thread: Garmin 530 HCX

Default Garmin 530 HCX

Just curious as to what people think of this GPS/Radio. My boys are getting to the age now where they can venture out from dad and I kinda like the idea of a radio that also sends GPS coords and displays them on my screen. Makes life a little easier but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or heard anything about these. They are pricey on the website but you can pick them up for about $350 if you do a good search.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I have one as well as my buddy and bro. They are nice saftey feature when out and splitting up to go different directions on a hunting trip and they call in with a broke leg or something. I'm not as familiar with them as my buddy and bro as they sat in deer stands in Missouri for a week doing nothing but playing with them and finding otu all the options they have after hours in the stand. I guess you can even text message to the other guy and what not. More of a novelty item to have a GPS and a radio combined, but I do see where it could possibly come in handy as a safety device possibly. I like mine.

If you hunt with a buddy/buddies, these are invaluable tools and IMHO, much more than a novelty. The ability to communicate, navigate and pinpoint hunting partner location for coordinating hunting movements, an emergency or to meet back up is a huge bonus in a GPS unit. I have the Rino 120's, two of them, and they have proven to be plenty powerful, reliable and more feature packed than I use. But the ability to send/recieve your partners GPS coordinates at the touch of your transmit button is huge. The radio feature is not real powerful but within a few miles, I have never had a problem communicating with hunting partners in the woods. Mine are not the upgraded GPS chipsets, although only a year old, and have no problem locking on and maintaining satellite lock even in high timber, thick canopy and other challenging situations. It has to be extremely bad to lose the signal. They come in many different models and my only recommendation is to not get the entry level 110 series, they really skimp on the features with it. The 120's only lack a couple features less than the 130's, a barometric compass vs. an electronic compass and the ability to receive NOAA info are the main differences. For the price and features, the 120's are hard to beat. But if you can't do without color screens, etc., the 520 or 530 HCx's are the one's you want. A note though, you can get 2 or 3 120's for the price of a 530 and outfit your entire hunting party with the ability to communicate/navigate with each other in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyr001 View Post
    If you hunt with a buddy/buddies, these are invaluable tools and IMHO, much more than a novelty. The ability to communicate, navigate and pinpoint hunting partner location for coordinating hunting movements, an emergency or to meet back up is a huge bonus in a GPS unit. I have the Rino 120's, two of them, and they have proven to be plenty powerful, reliable and more feature packed than I use. But the ability to send/recieve your partners GPS coordinates at the touch of your transmit button is huge. The radio feature is not real powerful but within a few miles, I have never had a problem communicating with hunting partners in the woods. Mine are not the upgraded GPS chipsets, although only a year old, and have no problem locking on and maintaining satellite lock even in high timber, thick canopy and other challenging situations. It has to be extremely bad to lose the signal. They come in many different models and my only recommendation is to not get the entry level 110 series, they really skimp on the features with it. The 120's only lack a couple features less than the 130's, a barometric compass vs. an electronic compass and the ability to receive NOAA info are the main differences. For the price and features, the 120's are hard to beat. But if you can't do without color screens, etc., the 520 or 530 HCx's are the one's you want. A note though, you can get 2 or 3 120's for the price of a 530 and outfit your entire hunting party with the ability to communicate/navigate with each other in the field.

Yea I hear what your saying about the price and the features but the reason I would go with the 520 or 530 is because of the 5watt GMRS. That can mean the difference between talking or getting static. I have some handheld 1watt radios and they are great for about a mile and good line of sight with each other but after that they suck. I would go for the safety of the 5watts but that's just a personal opinion.

What are the restrictions for using radios while hunting? I remember hearing about something about that, but don't recall the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    What are the restrictions for using radios while hunting? I remember hearing about something about that, but don't recall the details.
    In every western/midwestern state that I have or considered hunting in including AK you can use radio's while hunting but you cannot use them to talk another hunter onto game.

Default Alaska State Law

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyr001 View Post
    If you hunt with a buddy/buddies, these are invaluable tools and IMHO, much more than a novelty. The ability to communicate, navigate and pinpoint hunting partner location for coordinating hunting movements....
    Careful, this is illegal.

This is from the 08-09 Regs:

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

We are thinking about picking up some regular hand helds for rabbit hunting. I think that the ability to confirm your partners location prior to discharging a weapon in dense woods certainly falls well within the "safety" portion of that reg!

I like the ability to know where my boys are before we start shooting or if something should happen. IMHO using them to coordinate movement to take game takes the hunt out of hunting. I agree with the rules AK has that Snyd posted. Thanks SNYD for taking the time to research that out and make a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Careful, this is illegal.

This is from the 08-09 Regs:

Sorry guys, didn't mean for misperception......., my intent was and is purely for safety and survival. For this purpose they are great tools in the survival bag and getting you and your hunting partners back safely.

Default have one and love it!

The best part of the 530 hcx is the use of micro sd cards. You can load up different maps on different cards or just buy a big one and put every map you can think of on it. I have a 1 gig and the entire 2008 alaska topo fits on it with tons of room to spare for way points and routes. Battery life is pretty good as well with the rechargable batterie it comes with. Never have killed the battery even on your longer 10 day hunts. Pick one up you wont be dissapointed.

The only thing i would watch for is don't pick one up from a Canadian web sight or location. The ones from canada have the GMRS radio's dissabled as it is against the law to own one without a permit there.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?