Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Why I don't like Weatherby rifles

  1. #1

    Default Why I don't like Weatherby rifles

    Someone has to counter beartooth's rantings! Seriously, if you like them, more power to ya.

    I don't prefer them for several reasons:

    First, they are push feed and spring eject. I would much rather have the CRF and the fixed blade ejector. The spring ejector of most push-feed rifles just annoys me. I don't always want the ejected round/casing to go flying! Sure I can block it, but then it rattles about.... Yeah, annoying.

    Second, they come equipped with a hideous monte-carlo stock that feels weird and looked just great in 1965.

    Third, they are mostly chambered in horribly impractical Weatherby calibers. Hold on! I know, the ballistics are hot and I'd even say they are excellent rounds for their purpose, but they have drawbacks. I don't think they're practical because of the relative expense of ammo, the availability of OTC ammo, and the price of brass for reloading. BTW, I think super-fast magnums are over-rated anyway. Generally, they are unnecessary and just make a mess out of game. If your testosterone requires a fast magnum, I think the RUM's are more practical way to go (in some cases they're faster too).

    Let the flames begin!

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Sorry, but I can't flame right-on comments.

  3. #3

    Default Okay

    So, what's your point? This is just Fords and Chevys. I like Ruger rifles, some like Remington or Browning. We can always find things to rationalize what we like. The Weatherby stock may look over the top to some, but they are made of excellent wood and the design really helps absorb recoil. I have rarely ever heard of a failure of the push feed button eject system and Weatherbys are used all over the world on dangerous game, so, whatever you like is what you buy and use.

  4. #4
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Someone has to counter beartooth's rantings! Seriously, if you like them, more power to ya.

    I don't prefer them for several reasons:

    First, they are push feed and spring eject. I would much rather have the CRF and the fixed blade ejector. The spring ejector of most push-feed rifles just annoys me. I don't always want the ejected round/casing to go flying! Sure I can block it, but then it rattles about.... Yeah, annoying.

    Second, they come equipped with a hideous monte-carlo stock that feels weird and looked just great in 1965.

    Third, they are mostly chambered in horribly impractical Weatherby calibers. Hold on! I know, the ballistics are hot and I'd even say they are excellent rounds for their purpose, but they have drawbacks. I don't think they're practical because of the relative expense of ammo, the availability of OTC ammo, and the price of brass for reloading. BTW, I think super-fast magnums are over-rated anyway. Generally, they are unnecessary and just make a mess out of game. If your testosterone requires a fast magnum, I think the RUM's are more practical way to go (in some cases they're faster too).

    Let the flames begin!
    I don't think beartooth will feel bad about or vicious post? How you bluntly try to humiliate the poor man is rather uncalled for however. He has thick skin, as all owners of Weatherby rifles must have.

    A little kindness goes a long way however. It's totally important to remember that the biggest group of users of Weatherby rifles are folks from Texas or Oklahoma. Most of these guys grew up on gun mags that featured advertising that showed a picture of a railroad iron with a bullet hole through it from a .300 Wby. Some of these same shooters still carry their own hunk of iron around with them. Just for show and tell.

    You just have to remember that most of these guys have found the Wby would also work on game when they took the time out from their war with the railroads.

    It is a true fact that most owners of Wby rifles are men with big harry chest (once) but wore the hair off from the RR iron hung around their necks so it would always be near their harts.

    Rumors do however persist about Wby owners and the "ROY" memorials they reportedly worship at home. I think this to be an unfair idea, as anyone that thinks about it should remember that the owners of these rifles would never give up space from their wives personal EVILS memorials. I could even imagine the screams of the put upon spouse with cries of, "Sacrilege". (Women are often confused by conversations in over heard discussions about the KING, however).

    I see nothing wrong with beartooths love of his Weatherby rifles, Heck I've know a number of really great guys that own, love them. That said, I still don't want them marrying my daughter.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I don't think beartooth will feel bad about or vicious post? How you bluntly try to humiliate the poor man is rather uncalled for however. He has thick skin, as all owners of Weatherby rifles must have.

    A little kindness goes a long way however. It's totally important to remember that the biggest group of users of Weatherby rifles are folks from Texas or Oklahoma. Most of these guys grew up on gun mags that featured advertising that showed a picture of a railroad iron with a bullet hole through it from a .300 Wby. Some of these same shooters still carry their own hunk of iron around with them. Just for show and tell.

    You just have to remember that most of these guys have found the Wby would also work on game when they took the time out from their war with the railroads.

    It is a true fact that most owners of Wby rifles are men with big harry chest (once) but wore the hair off from the RR iron hung around their necks so it would always be near their harts.

    Rumors do however persist about Wby owners and the "ROY" memorials they reportedly worship at home. I think this to be an unfair idea, as anyone that thinks about it should remember that the owners of these rifles would never give up space from their wives personal EVILS memorials. I could even imagine the screams of the put upon spouse with cries of, "Sacrilege". (Women are often confused by conversations in over heard discussions about the KING, however).

    I see nothing wrong with beartooths love of his Weatherby rifles, Heck I've know a number of really great guys that own, love them. That said, I still don't want them marrying my daughter.
    Big AL THAT WAS FUNNY!!!! That is one cool write up for sure - LOVE IT!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    So, what's your point? This is just Fords and Chevys. .....so, whatever you like is what you buy and use.
    Very true! Think of my post as the "Opinion" column. I'm not flaming beartooth either, I'm offering a counter view to his earlier post. He gave reasons for loving them, I thought I'd stir the pot a little. I have a strange affinity for beartooth in spite of his fondness for ugly rifles that kick too much and are too expensive for their performance. Did I say that???

    Big Al, I'll second beartooth! Great post!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    akav8r:
    I’ve always liked you, but I like my Weatherby too.

    If it’s “push feed” you don’t like, there are lots of actions that are push feed, besides Weatherby, to pick on. CRF is OK, but it doesn’t work any better than PF, and it may be more prone to breakage.

    Monte Carlo stocks look good today, just like they did in 1965, but they’re not about looks, as much as about function. To me, they are designed so that I don’t have to scrunch my neck and look over the top of my glasses to see through my scope. They’re the most comfortable stock there is, and perfect for off-hand shooting. They’re harder to make, and of course, that can add to the cost, but it’s worth it because of the way they handle recoil. All my hunting rifles have a cheek piece, and a comb, and only one is a Weatherby. Besides stock design is a matter of personal preference, given the fact that our necks, and shoulders are not all the same size and shape.

    In the opinion of many, myself included, a Finer, Stronger, Safer, or More Practical hunting rifle than a Weatherby Mark V does not exist.

    You seem to be a little confused. You say the Weatherby Cartridges are impractical, then admit “the ballistics are hot”, and “they are excellent rounds for their purpose”.

    Then you claim they “have drawbacks”, but don’t list any, except “the availability of OTC ammo, and the price of brass for reloading”, and “super-fast magnums are over-rated anyway”.

    Almost in the same breath you say the RUMs are more practical. Surely, you realize that the RUMs are “super-fast” cartridges too. Is the “availability of OTC ammo, and the price of brass for reloading”, that much better for the RUMs? I doubt that.

    Brass is harder to find, or more expensive, for a lot of cartridges, and the Weatherby cases can be too, depending on which one. I can, and have made some 7mm Weatherby cases from 7mm Rem. Mag Cases.

    There are some practical considerations for not choosing a Weatherby, but some can also be viewed as an advantage.

    The Mk V is heavy, BUT that makes for less felt recoil.

    The 26” barrels may be slightly less handy, BUT they are more pleasant to shoot, because the noise is further away from your ears.

    They are more expensive than the average Rem-Chester, BUT they are very well made.

    Ammo is more expensive than for some cartridges, BUT brass is available for handloading.

    Smitty of the North
    Last edited by Smitty of the North; 06-23-2008 at 02:04. Reason: spelling
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    akav8r:
    I’ve always liked you, but I like my Weatherby too.
    Really, you don't have to make a choice right away! lol!

    Remember, this is just one man's opinion. I'm not saying anyone has made a bad choice in buying a Wby, I'm just saying there are reasons I would not choose to buy one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You seem to be a little confused. You say the Weatherby Cartridges are impractical, then admit “the ballistics are hot”, and “they are excellent rounds for their purpose”.
    Yep, super long range where the velocity has had time to bleed off. Either that or instant bloodshot hamburger....

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Then you claim they “have drawbacks”, but don’t list any, except “the availability of OTC ammo, and the price of brass for reloading”, and “super-fast magnums are over-rated anyway”.
    Isn't bloodshot hamburger a drawback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Almost in the same breath you say the RUMs are more practical. Surely, you realize that the RUMs are “super-fast” cartridges too. Is the “availability of OTC ammo, and the price of brass for reloading”, that much better for the RUMs? I doubt that.
    I do realize that. I was making a comparison between the two bloodshot hamburger makers. I think the RUM is a better design overall. If you can find non-Weatherby brass you're right about the price.

  9. #9
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Big AL THAT WAS FUNNY!!!! That is one cool write up for sure - LOVE IT!!!!!!
    I'm happy you read my post as it was intended.

    If life has taught me anything at all, It's this. When a Man is happy with what he has, and it just suits him to a "T", why argue with him about it?

    I have a vary good friend that loves Weatherby ctgs. Has them all on custom built Mausers actions. The Man has millions of dollars, has the best of gear, hunts the world over. He lives to hunt and spends months every year hunting. In short he does exactly what most of us can only dream about. Good for him and good for anybody that's happy with their life.

    I have a secret, I keep from this friend. I load all of his ammo, and I have never told him. All of the Weatherby ammo I load for him is loaded to standard velocity for each ctg Weatherby was meant to replace. He has loved my loads for him as he says they are the most accurate ammo he has ever shot. I have never reloaded a ctg for him. I use new brass for each round and function test all of my loads through each of the rifles he uses. He never asks for less than a hundred rounds and sometimes he wants 250 rounds at a time.

    The point to the above is, that I gave up over thirty years trying to talk him out of Weatherby ctgs, It did not work then and you would have as much chance today talking him out of them as a snow balls chance in Hell on a warm July day. So why in the heck bother?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Member Darreld Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arco, Idaho
    Posts
    782

    Wink Shootin' choo choo train rails...

    To be completely honest, it must be mentioned that US Steel's finest rails can be perforated with the likes of the .218 Bee, .30 Carbine, and even once in awhile by the .357 Magnum. Done it, when I was a kid, but by accident while shooting at running Jackrabbits who chose to high-tail it outta the country along an old siding in the desert.
    Also, as long as I'm standin' on my mountain peak, hair blowing in the ozone-depleted upper atmosphere, I have to admit that I done finally broke down and got a Weatherby. Almost. A stainless 'Classic' controlled feed M70 in synthetic stock. A twin (other than chambering) to my other M70 .300, which is the Winchester version. Can't see a cat's whisker difference in performance between the two so far.
    Some folks like tons o' chrome and big ol' fins on their cars, as much as they like those inlays in Claro walnut. I think Weatherby chose Claro because he could get it cheap from the locals there in California who were busy cutting them down to make housing developments. Them high gloss finishes on metal and wood COULD also come in mighty handy if a fella got lost and needed to send a signal to the space shuttle or a passing satellite! Could also use it and a pine cone to brush the knots outta yer hair after a fitful night in a mummy bag!
    I think the newer Weatherbys are a bit easier on the eye than earlier rifles. After Roy passed, the boy at least started listening to folks about what they WANTED as far as fit, polish, and finish. For a long time, the only line of their rifles that I could stay in the same county with were the Vanguards, and the synthetic stocked rifles, at that!
    If I absolutely, positively, HAD to be completely honest about the Weatherby's, I'd have to admit that I could never afford one, and therefore was prejudiced against them......after all, isn't excess and flamboyance the hallmark of Americans?
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 06-23-2008 at 07:00. Reason: .

  11. #11
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Ha! What a great thread! I desperately want to throw some oil on the hot coals here and watch this thread get totally out of control, but the sad thing is that I can only find one thing about the Weatherby rifles that I truly hate………………. The PRICE! All the rest of the little Weatherby quirks I either like, or they don’t much bother me. The multi lugged bolt with all those extra holes drilled in it to let the gas out of the action when one of those goofy multi-radius cases lets go because the bullet managed to get sideways in all that free bore while on its way to the rifling is kind of cool…………. But those shiny Monte Carlo stocks done up in nice wood actually appeal to me. If I could afford one of those “Laser Mark’s” then I could while away the hours caressing its beautiful curves and nurture my narcissistic tendencies by admiring my expression of complete joy in its mirror like finish!
    Many of you know that my real hate is not for any one particular brand of rifle, but for every brand that sports a hideous composite stock festooned with an equally tasteless hunk of stainless steel, so one could indeed honestly say that I HATE Weatherby rifles…………… the composite ones at least. In fact, I hate composite rifles so much that I would rather wear hemp clothes and sell granola trail mix part time to fund a “save the cats foundation” than actually be seen holding one………….. But that my friends is a rant for another day!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    …………. But those shiny Monte Carlo stocks done up in nice wood actually appeal to me. If I could afford one of those “Laser Mark’s” then I could while away the hours caressing its beautiful curves and nurture my narcissistic tendencies by admiring my expression of complete joy in its mirror like finish!

    Many of you know that my real hate is not for any one particular brand of rifle, but for every brand that sports a hideous composite stock festooned with an equally tasteless hunk of stainless steel, ......... In fact, I hate composite rifles so much that I would rather wear hemp clothes and sell granola trail mix part time to fund a “save the cats foundation” than actually be seen holding one………….. But that my friends is a rant for another day!
    Funny you should use the term Hemp to describe that burlap attire......I guess that would explain the love of cats......

    Charming dictates, here, about this specific breed of rifles. I'm with ya' on the Syn-S/S guns, no warm fuzzy there at all.

    The asthetics of the glossy finished, higrade stocks are subjective and I am not too excited about them. I do think the early multi lugged bolt was a brave departure from the time proven Mauser and they were still very marketable. For good reason, there is a lot of good engineering behind these Mark V actions. It has been the "look" and the calibers that has kept me a way from them all these years but they have always been good merchandise to have on the rack at the shop.

    It is odd to say that the calibers were impractical for it was these hot shot speedsters that brought the rest of the American companies along developing their very own "Magnums". Oh, yes I know, the H&H started the belted magnum craze but it was Roy whe developed the very first belted magnum that didn't have an H&H headstamp. Obviously the magnum calibers in general were what the American hunter wanted, look at the unbridled assortment of them that followed Weatherby's lead.

    Even today it seems the Remington Ultra mags were still an act of one-upmanship on Remington's part, still trying to out do the big Weatherby calibers.

    Most of the detractors of the Weatherby calibers live in a quagmire of ignorance and myths about the ballistics and the "freebore" and the alleged inaccuracy of them. I've know folks who bad mouthed Weatherby calibers all their life and bought the first Remington Ultra that came down the pike.

    The Quality and workmanship of Roy Weatherby's was of the finest available. There were different eras of them and some were better than others, but the original plan was to make the very best rifle that money could buy. The philosphy of the standard American companies who have made rifles for the past 40 plus years was to make the cheapest rifle that could be manufactured that won't get them sued by the consumers. Let's see, which do I want to take on a Lion hunt?

    Honni soit, Qui mal y pense!
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-23-2008 at 14:26. Reason: My french sux
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Big AL THAT WAS FUNNY!!!! That is one cool write up for sure - LOVE IT!!!!!!

    I will say this about Weatherby owners I've known.....They are all quite often of fine character and the best of gentlemen and you, sir, are of the finest.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  14. #14

    Default

    Murphy enjoyed you post on the pros and cons of the Mark V, I haven't as of yet gotten enough time with one to make an informed decision, but I have two Vanguards which I think are fine rifles themselves. I hope to purchase a Mark V in the near future and wring her out a little. I love the stock design though and feel it really helps with the recoil, I have always had an affinity for the Weatherby rounds, that double radius shoulder is flat out sexy imo.

    As to your last post on Mr. Beartooth I think I am qualified to agree 100%

  15. #15
    Mark
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    So, what's your point? This is just Fords and Chevys.......
    Fords and Chevys suck.

    GO MOPAR!

  16. #16
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    When a Man is happy with what he has, and it just suits him to a "T", why argue with him about it?
    I couldn't agree more, very well stated.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    In fact, I hate composite rifles so much that I would rather wear hemp clothes and sell granola trail mix part time to fund a “save the cats foundation” than actually be seen holding one…………..
    Wow...... a "save the cats foundation?" I think you might have gone a little too far with that one!

  18. #18
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,216

    Default


    In fact, I hate composite rifles so much that I would rather wear hemp clothes and sell granola trail mix part time to fund a “save the cats foundation”

    Around here that would make you a City Council member.

    I have only ever had one Weatherby that I kept for a long period of time. It was an old gal made in West Germany with a series of narrow flutes down the bolt. It had a high check Montecarlo stock, super glossy finish and was chambered in 300 HH,,,, not 300 Weatherby. That rifle would make a 5 shot group the size of a dime at 100 yards with no problem. I had to sell it back in the mid 70s to pay for college. I always wondered what it would be worth today...???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  19. #19

    Default

    I don't care what brand of gun Beartooth shoots, I don't even care what hand he wipes his butt with! It only matters that he in fact does shoot guns and he does wipe his butt!

    If he came on here bragging about the shinny new Barry Obama button that adorned his lappel then the fur would fly! I'm bettin were on good terms in that regard as well!

    All guns is good (Wizzbee's included) and all those who oppose them is bad (Barry included)!

    Beartooth you do drive a Chevy don't you?

  20. #20

    Default Kind of like Guiness Stout....

    I think that Weatherby's are an acquired taste by gun loonys or they are an excuse for those who just want to look good. The posers are the ones that give the weatherby a bad name. A very good friend of my hunts with a 300 Roy in a Mark V Fibermark and he only shoots it 10 times per year. He loves it but he hates the recoil. I asked him how can he not want to shoot it. However, he shoots constantly with a 22 LR and believes that he is ready when the time comes to put the hammer down. He got a good deal on it and likes what it does.
    I have another friend who has a 300 wby in a lazermark. He never goes hunting but always wants to know what it is worth.

    Many of the Okie and Texan hunters who came up on the pipeline ran weatherbys. Most used 300 Wbys but some had 270 Weatherbys and I knew one guy who hunted everything with a 460 weatherby Mag. He was kind of a slob hunter but I saw him shoot a caribou at a crossing on Hogan's Hill when I was in high school. It was a three year old bull and it dropped instantly. My brother and I helped him because he didn't know what to do with it. He had two good looking daughters and that probably helped in our decision. The 500 Grain slug darn near ripped it in half. He had almost gut shot it but the slug tore out part of its spine on exit.

    I have heard that the 300 WBY was extremely popular for shooting polar bears in the Kotzbue area in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Many of the world trotting hunters like Elgin Gates, the Klinebergers and Frank Hibben hunted Polar bears with the same 300 Wbys that they used all over the world. I always looked for one in Kotz when I would go into town but I think that they have been gone for a while.

    It is amazing how many people enjoy the almost cult status that Weatherby's have. They have a dedicated forum that has Ed Weatherby as a regular contributor. You can PM him and he will respond to you. That in my view is customer service.

    Mark Vs have increased in cost over the years but they have earnestly tried their best to keep the prices of Weatherby's low. You get a lot of bang for the buck with them. Compare a Weatherby Ultralight MarkV with a Remington Ti Alaskan.
    The Mark V has a heavy action and this and the magnum contour of the barrel does help with recoil. The 300 Win Vanguard Deluxe kicks much harder than the Mark V 300 Weatherby. It weights 1/2 pound less as well.

    The thing that is really neat about the Mark V is that the trigger really is awesome and you can externally adjust it with an allen wrench. The bolt works quickly and they point well with the long 26 inch barrel pointing right.

    They fit a bit differently and they are often sold when people get disenchanted with them. However, if you are fairly recoil tolerant they are very decent and are enjoyable.

    I started out with a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag. It looks exactly like a Mark V. It was manufactured when all the Weatherby's were made in Japan.
    I have purchased two other Vanguards. A Varmit Special in 22/250 and a vanguard synthetic in 257 Weatherby Mag.

    Recently I was directed by a Gun Nut from Sportsman Warehouse to Guns and Ammo to get after a 300 Weatherby Mark V that was from Japan. The Gun Shop owner Steve Smyth who is a gun advocate( meaning that he will try to get you the best gun within your budget) worked out a plan and after a horsetrade and much haggling, and it went home with me.

    I put a KX 3X10X50 Kahles on it and it points right. It shoots about 2 inches high at 200 yards and I can't wait to try it out hunting this year. It was full of copper and I recently had a boresnake mishap that is described in another post. It is now copper free and happy.

    Ammo is expensive. But Walmart sells 300 Weatherby Mag Ammo for 41.00 per box for 150 /180 grain spirepoints. Partitions are 56.00 for 180 grain partitions. This is less than many of the premium loadings. I think that Remington sells 300 WBY ammo(59.00) for less than 300 Ultra(65.00).

    My view is...
    Your loss my gain....
    especially if you have an Ultralight Mark V for cheap....

    Sincerely,

    Thomas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •