Thread: New Grizz Rattles?

Default New Grizz Rattles?

I took my new 08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 fi out to Eklutna Lake for it's first spin today. I'm hearing an almost constant rattle on the R side of the machine about engine/ transmission height. The rattle speed varies almost exactly with RPMs, but isn't audible during at very low RPM or while idling. Admittedly I don't know much about engines...

Is this a normal sound for an 08 Grizz?? Is the sound I'm hearing just a loud valve or something? Should I take it back to the dealer to have them check it out?

The engine seems to run smooth as silk, but the rattle noise has me a little worried.

I don't have the 700 but if it's a true "rattle" you hear on the right side of the machine then it's most likely the heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Take the plastic side panel off and reach in there and see if it's loose

If you don't mind PM me with the price you ended up paying for the 08 700. I'm in the process of trying to get a dealer to come down on the price by waiting for the 09s to show up next month.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I don't have the 700 but if it's a true "rattle" you hear on the right side of the machine then it's most likely the heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Take the plastic side panel off and reach in there and see if it's loose
    +1. My Outlander does the same thing.

Well, the exhaust manifold isn't on the right side, it's on the left, and it doesn't appear that the heat shield would be the culprit either. So, anyone got any other ideas as to what is making the rattling noise?

Also, my Grizz is konking out at low RPM while driving slow over technical terrain??? It idles just fine... What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Well, the exhaust manifold isn't on the right side, it's on the left, and it doesn't appear that the heat shield would be the culprit either. So, anyone got any other ideas as to what is making the rattling noise?

Also, my Grizz is konking out at low RPM while driving slow over technical terrain??? It idles just fine... What's up with that?
    I still think it's one of the heat shields, there should be a couple. Is there one sort of down by the oil cap?

Like I said in the other thread about it dieing out it will clear up after so many miles. For now if you practice on how you give it throttle or release throttle you will see you can stop it from dieing out by your thumb action. I won't even tell you that your 700 grizz has a "miss" at a certain speed I won't tell you at what speed to look for it at. It's on all the 700s, putting an aftermarket pipe on the 700 will make it more pronounced. Yamaha has acknowleged the "miss" and has no fix for it. They call it an anolomy, if you bug them they can move the "miss" from the speed it occurs at to a higher speed where it still occurs. No need to worry about it because you don't know about it or at what speed to look for it at

You know, I noticed the same thing when I first got mine. I figured it was the belt. I had been used to my Honda Rubicon and never had this noise. We rode today and the noise is still there. I guess I have gotten used to it. I'm guessing it is just the belt. It has never gotten any worse and like I said, I don't even notice it anymore.
    EricL