Thread: tarp for boat recovery

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default tarp for boat recovery

i took a few couple freinds up the tanana last week and was a the 34 mile mark up from the bridge and seen a slough that would be a good turn around spot. i figured we would get out stretch the legs and head back to check the set lines we set on the way back to the launch. i entered the slough coming off step thank god and whammo we were aground in about 4-5 inches of water. the channel was not far behind the boat and about 8 feet off the starboard. we used a 16x 20 tarp i had under the bow and it took a few times but when it caught it spun my boat around and pulled it with authority to the edge of the channel before it shredded. so we got it turned around and pulled about 12 feet before it shredded and it was well worth having it aboard. without it we would have not gotten off without help from another boat since i didnt have a cumalong. so for those of you that have heard but havent tried the parachute thing works and works well under the right circumstances.

Wow interesting idea! Would it have been a safety issue if it did not shredded so soon? I mean if it stayed in the current and kept pulling hard. I guess you could just cut the ropes if you were in a real pickle.

Thats one idea I'll have to log into the ol grey matter for sure.

Default it was an issue

with the tarp dragging me into some sweepers and a very fast current. i was worried that the pump would have gravel in it and i wouldnt have full power but we were ready to cut the line if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    whammo we were aground in about 4-5 inches of water.
    You running a tug ?

Has anybody tried a drift sock? I've never handled one, so I don't know if they would be strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    i entered the slough coming off step
    if i were to enter on full step i woulda been really screwed when i tried to turn around further back in there i imagine.

Default Drift sock

Quote Originally Posted by kgrant View Post
    Has anybody tried a drift sock? I've never handled one, so I don't know if they would be strong enough?
    I got a 6' drift sock from Cabellas last year. Haven't yet had the "opportunity" to use it but it is pretty substantial and I think it will hold up well.