Thread: MISFIT Mod 70!!

Default MISFIT Mod 70!!

Short version of a VERY VERY LONG story. I've ended up with a Mod 70 Featherweight Classic CRF .270 Win rifle. All parts are new except the barreled action(blued barreled action w/SS bolt)and McMillan factory stock. Got less than $250 in it. One problem though,after I finally got the thing assembled and tried cycling rounds through it I find out the bolt is for a magnum LA. Hey,the barreled action w/bolt was free! Anyway,someone want/need to swap bolts? I'll take blued or SS. Don't really need this rifle but it's got some sentimental value to it and I'd like to straighten it out. Don't need another magnum so rebarreling is out. ANY other ideas APPRECIATED!

til later

How in the heck did you check the headspace without having a proper bolt for the chambered caliber????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That's another part to this LOOOOOONG story. This action and another(a PRF .30-06 with a loose barrel) were taken to a gunsmith in another state where the owner lives to have the headspace checked/set. The PRF was a complete rifle and I've since then assembled and scoped it. Meanwhile I'm collecting parts for this CRF barreled action to hopefully complete by Fathers Day(which I did) to be given to someone as a present. Turns out that someone was me! The others involved are my daughter and son-in-law(the owner of the actions). They don't know of the problem and I'd like to get it straightened out without them finding out. My "ace in the hole" ,if I have the need,is that his father has worked for Winchester for 40+yrs and I reckon could get one. Anyway,let me answer your question by asking you,could the gunsmith check the headspace on this thing with the wrong bolt since the only difference between it and the right bolt is the size of the opening in the bolt face or am I missing something? By the way,this rifle fed three cartridges from the mag box into the chamber,the bolt locked down,and it would extract but not eject as the cartridge would fall away from the bolt face and extractor. I tried a .300 Weatherby cartridge on the bolt and it fit.

til later

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Short version of a VERY VERY LONG story. I've ended up with a Mod 70 Featherweight Classic CRF .270 Win rifle. All parts are new except the barreled action(blued barreled action w/SS bolt)and McMillan factory stock. Got less than $250 in it. One problem though,after I finally got the thing assembled and tried cycling rounds through it I find out the bolt is for a magnum LA. Hey,the barreled action w/bolt was free! Anyway,someone want/need to swap bolts? I'll take blued or SS. Don't really need this rifle but it's got some sentimental value to it and I'd like to straighten it out. Don't need another magnum so rebarreling is out. ANY other ideas APPRECIATED!

til later
    With only one exception (22 Hornet) All Model 70 bolts are the same length. The only difference to the bolt body is the bolt face. I don't see why a barrel set back and a rechamber to a .270 WSM wouldn't work. You already have a complete bolt for the .535 face. Unless the barrel won't allow for a set back?

I wish you luck for a swap, I just wouldn't hold my breath.

The other option is to have the bolt face welded, re-machined and re-hardened. By someone that really knows what they are doing. Which would be cheaper? Which would it be easier to find someone to do the work in the set back, the latter, hands down.

That's the best I can think up for you. Sorry!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Mdl 70 bolt lengths

The newer classic bolts and actions in the standard length - not short short magnums -are longer than the pre-64 bolts by 3/16" or so.

For the shorter calibers i.e. 30-06 length the classics have a "stop" on the extractor collar which is easily removed. The pre-64 guns had a stop which was welded to or made solid on the extractor collar for shorter cartridges on the standard leght action.

I recently converted a .300 Win Mag classic to a .375 H&H, basically all involved was swapping the barrels, removing the bolt stop on the collar, and removing the spacer from the magazine box. I also had to replace the stock with a .375 stock as the barrel channel was too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    With only one exception (22 Hornet) All Model 70 bolts are the same length. The only difference to the bolt body is the bolt face. I don't see why a barrel set back and a rechamber to a .270 WSM wouldn't work. You already have a complete bolt for the .535 face. Unless the barrel won't allow for a set back?

!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I APPRECIATE the help!! My daughter is coming up for the weekend and I'm going to fill her in on the situation and have her get in touch with her father-in-law. As I said before he's worked for Winchester for 40+yrs and according to my son-in-law he has parts stored in his attic that have been there for yrs. We'll see.
    I did tell my son-in-law to tell his dad that CZ and now Ruger is filling the void in the market for medium bore calibers and to get us some CRF 9.3x62mms out here. Again we'll see.

til later

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The newer classic bolts and actions in the standard length - not short short magnums -are longer than the pre-64 bolts by 3/16" or so.

For the shorter calibers i.e. 30-06 length the classics have a "stop" on the extractor collar which is easily removed. The pre-64 guns had a stop which was welded to or made solid on the extractor collar for shorter cartridges on the standard leght action.

I recently converted a .300 Win Mag classic to a .375 H&H, basically all involved was swapping the barrels, removing the bolt stop on the collar, and removing the spacer from the magazine box. I also had to replace the stock with a .375 stock as the barrel channel was too small.
    You got me there, I only know Pre-64's as that's all I own or work on. With the 64's there is no difference in action length or bolt length. Except for the Hornet bolt they are all the same. The collars and the ejectors and extractors ws how they got the mileage along with magazine box alterations. A too long of an action is not a problem for a shorter ctg. That can be dealt with.

If I knew someone with a 40 years supply of old WINCHESTER parts, I would be his best friend.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I've never met the man Big Al but as far as I know to him it's just a job as he neither hunts or shoots. My son-in-law Warren says it's hard to tell just what he's got in his attic. Hope he's got a bolt I need!

til later