Thread: 30's vintage evinrude

Default 30's vintage evinrude

I've got an old old old 30-soemthing vintage evinrude, I'm guessing about a 2hp but there are no markings

I cleaned it up, set the points and cleaned the plug and the darn thing fired on the first pull and seems to run like a top

it has an internal tank with a shutoff valve but it does leak a good bit out the carb especially when you prime it

is just the way those old motors are or is there probably a seal out somewhere?

I used some carb cleaner to clean the whole thing up overall and it did a number on some silver paint that was over most of the motor

I'd like to run this thing on the back of my square stern canoe or little john boat but not if I'm going to leave a slick all over the lake

thanks in advance for any info

Default Motor

I have a no# of these things, more in the 3hp to 30shp class, Be careful with the carb cleaner, stuff to strong for 75+ yr old engine it will eat the everything off it, The carbs where pretty smiple if i rememeber right that they used pretty much steady gas flow, and you had a lever that went left to right to advance the timing to get your rpms, up. And you wrapped a rope around the pully up top to start it, If it has a recoil later 40s, There are some gaskets there pull apart very carfully and make new ones from some new gasket, you can trace the old ones,when i was a kid in a pinch we used milk carton mat... last one i did i just used some permatex gold put everything back together without tighting the screws, didn,t skwash the stuff out ater 24hr.. made its, own gasket, Is it a twin or a single ,Air or water cooled/ J4Cs, Plugs? Should be fun you will get the looks from the bank as you past bye, Mine are pretty much hanging in the shed now, I,m up into the 60s, still use, the others just hard to find parts for Have fun with it run it as long as you can,

it's a single

recoil starter

water cooled.......... I haven't had it in a tank yet........I'm hoping the water pump works as that's the main thing that I think could kill it

it's a Sportsman model, I even have the original manual for it but it doesn't address gas leakage

yes the carb cleaner seemed to wash off a bunch of silver paint that coated everything.....just like paint remover

there's a vertical shaft on each side of the carb that the primer/choke lever depresses at each extreme

most of the leakage seems to occur after it's been "primed"

but it's also slowly dripping sitting in the garage

Default Main jet

If it is anything like most float bowl carburators, it has a float that moves up and down to allow the main jet to let in fuel or restrict it. If it is sticking (and it isn't that uncommon even in more recent engines), you'll keep getting gas and it will flood and leak. Take off the float bowl (easier if you take off the whole carb), and pull the pin that acts as a pivot for the float. the main jet should unscrew, and you can check for wear or just clean it up, as it may be gummed. You'll probably have to replace the float bowl gasket (they are not hard to make with material you can get at an auto store and an Exacto).

Some of the carbs were proprietary, and some were made by manufacturers who made carbs common to many small engines.

There are clubs and publications, forums, etc. for these outboards from the earliest 1900s to the 1960s where you can list a problem and someone will know exactly what to do and where to get parts. My brother-in-law is an antique outboard nut and has quite a collection of both the motors and the manuals.

One other thing you might look for is a float bowl drain. Someone might have loosened it to drain out the gas and never tightened it up again.

I got me an ol' Evinrude too!

Thats looks like about 1958 Mod..

It's for sale, you know.....

I've got a 7.5 HP like that. It looks a lot better and runs like a top. *LOL*

I think mine is a '56 model

Talking

it's still for sale, whatever year it is.... ~grin~

there's a little red plastic evinrude emblem on the cowling (yours shows some studs that used to hold it)

mine is missing on one side too......

any chance your's still has it on the other side?

might be interested in yours for some parts

how many HP?