Thread: Chessie

Default Chessie

Im hoping to find someone interested in a Chessie . He's 94 pounds of pure muscle . Loves the water and fields . He's only a year and a half old . He's a beautiful looking dog . Only problem is he is aggressive when people walk by the house . He's never bitten any one before but he attacks as if he's gonna .

He is really good with people away from the house . You could walk him in to Sportsmans Warehouse and he would be entirely differant . Very nice with people .

Any one think their interested can send me a p.m.

Kevin

That sounds like every Chessie I have owned. Got to love them as they would do anything to keep their family and master safe. They can be a pain in the arse though and I fully understand where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by ultra mag View Post
    Im hoping to find someone interested in a Chessie . He's 94 pounds of pure muscle . Loves the water and fields . He's only a year and a half old . He's a beautiful looking dog . Only problem is he is aggressive when people walk by the house . He's never bitten any one before but he attacks as if he's gonna .

He is really good with people away from the house . You could walk him in to Sportsmans Warehouse and he would be entirely differant . Very nice with people .

Any one think their interested can send me a p.m.

Kevin
    Welcome to Chessie world. The behavior you relate is foundational breeding. If you need help eliminating this problem, I can describe the kind of re-education your Chessie friend needs. It has worked for me and my family now these past 30 years. I have dealt with each and every Chessie the same way and it works, just takes little time and attention.

The characteristics you relate was brought into the breed by the market hunters, there livelihood had the need for this trait in the no nonsense dogs of the era. Just like a pit bull, this can be overcome through a little training. THIS IS THE ENTIRE FAMILIES JOB. ALL MUST BE A PART OF THE TRAINING. THE DOG MUST BE THE LOWEST MEMBER OF THE PACK!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default must agree

My chessie does the same; he is getting better, but just this morning he pulled the old I'm going to run down the street barking at the kid on a bike thing. He's good as long as I am out there with him, but if I let him out to piss and get busy changing a diaper like this morning there is a 50/50 chance he may scare the living **** out of somebody he doesn't recognize as a regular visitor.

He's only a year old as of two days ago so I know what you are talking about ultramag.

Big Al if you don't mind I'd like to hear your technique(s) pretty sure he realizes that he's on the bottom rung (the jack russel even gets first dibs on the dog dish as the chessie looks on), but I'm always looking to improve my methods and my family's dog. pm me if you don't want to post here. Thanks

It is a long drawn conversation, I would need to know more about your dog. What we look for is a habit he has of guarding some item. The most common would be something that he really likes like a food item. Something he is willing to go to war over, with your other dog. For me it was items including (over the years with different Chessies) The truck, food bowl, bones, bumpers, toys. Long list. Anyway that's what I look for.

PM me with your phone number and a time to call and I will be happy to give you a run down on training.

This is such a common trait for the breed, that I would be shocked to have a Chessie with out it. I can even remembering of ever hear of one without it.

I recommend for anyone with a dog, to find the book, "Understanding your dog". By Micheal Fox The man has gone a little nuts with other stuff, but when he was on his game he had it together when he wrote this one. I have long ago given my copy away. It can be found on sites like abebooks.com.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Available

Is he still available. I had to put my lab down a couple of weeks ago.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Is he still available. I had to put my lab down a couple of weeks ago.
    DAVEINTHEBUSH: Kevin has requested a PM for the folks that are interested.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Chessie needs training.

In the Chessie’s mind he’s doing his job and rewarded each time he charges the fence. When he barks crazily the people go away. You have to step in and do a couple of things. He may need a separate kennel set up away from the property line. And you need to tell him you are in charge not him. I'd highly suggest neutering him in the next 6 months if he is not already. He has reached his full growth and had the benifit of maturing but you dont need the drama of testosterone.

If you’re not interested in training him, Chessie’s are very strong minded dogs, he will not be good for anyone. They are also very loyal and needs to be with you. At a year and a half he could be salvaged. I just took on a 2 1/2 year old intact male Labrador from the shelter. He was neutered and lost his freedom to roam all at the same time. I'm finding some unique challenges with him. I would not want to see our new dog in a home that didnt have a training plan.

Contact some trainers and get some advice or I fear you’ll end up taking him to the shelter and he may not be adoptable.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Dang, I know each dog is different, but my chessie barks little when someone knocks at the door and is their best friend when they come in. I socialized my pup a lot when she was little and I haven't haven't had a bit of trouble. She fishes with me everyday and is a joy to everyone. They stereotypes of Chessies are not true will all. I love mine and will get another. She was in our house first, my wife and I have had 3 kids since and she has been a joy with them all. I love my chessie and will get another. Take some advice of those in the know of chessies, they will help you. Heck, I would trust my 4 year old to take a bone from my dog, she is a sweetheart.

I'm happy to report that Kevin is well on the road to taking care of his problem and he and his buddy (Chessie) are busy solving the problem. It became vary apparent to me in a phone conversation with Kevin , that he is vary fond of his dog and is willing to put out the utmost work with him, that will solve the problem.

As a side note. It's vary important with any high energy working breed, that we understand the nature of the fundamental foundation of that individual breed. It is the key to understanding behavior. The why they act as they do, will help in using the breeds natural charistics in training. It can be applied to make training more successful.

HAPPY TAILS TO ALL!

Default WOW

Gentlemen all I can say is that I must have the best of everything with mine. She minds very well, hardly ever barks unless she hears the dog next door bark and then a simple no takes care of it. She has been in my house since I got her and we camp and fish almost all weekends and I never have a problem. If someone comes over she is their bestfriend after a few sniffs and licks. When she is outside she never barks at anybody walking or riding by and with living on post this is a great trait. She will be 2 this month and is the best dog I have ever owned. I had a yellow lab in the lower 48 that was a great goose dog, but get him in the house and he was a handful lol.
    Anyway just had to brag on my pup for a bit. Glad you got a handle on your Kevin and enjoy him

Greg

Default Happy for you both...

I am glad you are going to the wall with your canine pal! It is hard to hear when folks have to give them up. Good luck. You will probably have an even better relationship with him afterwards.
    I too have a Chessie. His protectiveness is around food and when he is kenneled in the truck. The yard, the field are not a problem. I just deal with the food issue, I think I caused most of that by mistake when he was young...I was over sensitive and over reacted.
    Circumstances have not allowed him to become as much of a house dog as I might like, but when he is in, it hasn't been a problem. We converted our garage to an indoor/outdoor kennel...dogs come before vehicles in our house. Strangers come in the garage and he woofs a little and I let him out to greet them and he is happy. We have had an elderly lady dog/house sit for our six dogs and she gets along with him fine.