Thread: how is king fishing on the little su without a boat?

Default how is king fishing on the little su without a boat?

i'm planning to fish on the little su this week for kings. i will not have a boat. i was wondering how fishing along the banks near the road access is.

any advice on what works well for catching kings there is appreciated.

thanks',

the dude

Default Lots 'o Luck Dude....

Water is way high and muddy this week. Bank fishing is certainly possible when the water comes down and clears up, in fact even with a boat we usually stop and cast at the holes. We picked up 2 nice kings two weeks ago, and another last week, casting into holes. Fishing up by Houston should be better next week with easier bank fishing than Little Su Public Use Facility. Fished this past week and water was high and muddy, no bites. Good Luck!

Either go up a little ways to find some beaches to fish from or walk down about a half mile to the first good beach you find. The island is the halfway point. I think right now is a peak time to go. We caught as many kings on friday night and sat morning as we did the whole four days before that. The cool thing is that every king we caught was dime bright with sea lice.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

just got back from the little su and i didn't catch anything. maybe saw one fish. nobody else did either. we were just down from the boat ramp by the island.

i think the lesson here is save the gas unless you know exactly where the fish are.

i went last night and this morning...nothing...tried three of my fav places up river and two down...nothing...saw a trout roll a couple times, too small to be a king. the board when i left last night said "6"......

another thing i noticed was most of the guides that camp at burma are gone. it was a strange site to come in and see no campers, kinda like a ghost town. there were a few guides but not many. i think everyone is giving up.

Default I wish they were....

I think I found the charter guys for you. They are running down the Little Su from Houston. Was on the river for a couple of hours this morning. Water was high and muddy, and we were passed by three guide boats that were 20+ft long, loaded with tourists, and emptied the river behind them. Water starts to clear up after 20 minutes or so... Wish they'd open the Deshka!

Default just upstream from boat launch

went last year in a boat (6/12) to the first bend just upstream faround the corner from the boat launch, you can easilly walk there and there is a spot people stand that I could see from the boat. We caught 4 -kings in one hour with corkies and jet divers.............granted it was with guide Andy Couch (Fishtale) who was even shocked himself at our success given hot sunny day and late in the afternoon........We caught 1, and then I said, "stay on this spot for at least 10 more drifts" which is all it took.............your stuff must be on the bottom, get to where you can use a diver to run your stuff on the bottom along the outside of a deep bend.

My brother and I were two guides camping down there. We did not give up but had to leave due to the 14 day rule on camping. Our trips seem to be all or nothing. Depends on if we land the bites we get. This afternoon 3 guys had 6 bites, hooking 3 of them and only landed one small one that we put back. This time of year the kings start to turn real red down there. We will stop guiding in two more days, I do not like to sell fish I would never keep. This morning most guids brought back fish. The ones that did not came over from thre Deshka and they are floundering around on a river the have little to no experience on. I know I would look like a goober as well if I went to another river and guided. I spend all my time on the Little Su. The river is dropping and clearing, size down this time of year and you will have more success on the Little Su out of the Burma Landing. Good luck.

Bill