Thread: .22 LR in a .22 WMR ?

Default .22 LR in a .22 WMR ?

I was recently given a Savage model 24J-DL with a .22 WMR over a .20 ga. It reminded me of a question that I have always wondered about and have asked some neighbors and got 3 different answers (yes, no, and ?)

Can you shoot a .22 lr or short in a .22 mag chamber?

Thank you in advance for responses

Default ,22 l.r. in .22 WMR

Steven,

No, you cannot safely fire a .22 l.r. in a .22 WMR chamber. The magnum case/chamber is larger diameter and the .22 l.r. will most likely split or burst when fired, never a safe situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJCootie View Post
    I was recently given a Savage model 24J-DL with a .22 WMR over a .20 ga. It reminded me of a question that I have always wondered about and have asked some neighbors and got 3 different answers (yes, no, and ?)

Can you shoot a .22 lr or short in a .22 mag chamber?

Thank you in advance for responses
    It's a very bad idea as Mauserboy points out. But you CAN shoot 22 WRF in a magnum chamber because dimensions are so close. The ballistics of 22 WRF are a lot "tamer" than magnum, making them much more suitable for small game shooting in my book. Problem is, 22 WRF isn't loaded any more as far as I know, and when you can find it today is quite a bit more expensive than 22 mag.

Yes you can, but i wouldn't make a habit of it. The long rifle is lower pressure, and won't hurt the gun, but the brass will probably split which will lead to extraction issues. If you do this in someones else's gun, don't tell them, they don't seem to like it. Ha Ha

Don't do it. I've had .22lr Super Colibris (primer powered only) split and bulge near the mouth in .22 WMR chambers. Shooting a regular lr is only going to be worse and more dangerous.
    Now what ?

WRF is a shorter and older version of the MAG, not the same as the 22LR. It will work fine in the 22 Mag and in the 2 marlins I have seems to group better that 22 Mag. WRF has a 45 gr flat point lead bullet, not so destructive on small game, but no cost savings on the MAG

Yup have same gun and 22 LR will split and rupture in the chamber...I saw it happen. Recommend you not try it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm priddy shore I saw some 22 WRFs at Sportsmans Warehouse.

I like the 22 WMRs myself, especially the Feds with 50 grain bullets, except they cost a lot more than 22 LR.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.