Thread: Portage Glacier? Worth the pics?

Default Portage Glacier? Worth the pics?

Hi guys,

I was going to visit Portage Glacier but a cab driver told me its hardly worth it anymore. She said its hardly even visible if at all from the tourism office.

Is this true? Is it worth a visit for a few pictures?

I have to admit, the cab driver didnt seem to know that much. I was even told by this same cab driver that NO ONE EVER eats the clams in Alaska...

So, maybe this cab driver is wrong?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Eagle River, AK

It's fine if you drive around the side of the left lake and go through the first little tunnel like you're going to Whittier, but I wouldn't make a seperate trip out there. If you're going to Whittier at some point you'll drive right by the best view. Budget an extra 30-45 minutes and walk through the visitor center out there. It's not anything amazing, but they do have lots of good local info.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

I was there in 1981, It was an amazing site, I only hope I can find those old photos.

today ? Nope in this case the cab driver was right !! I was there again in 1997, a huge disapointment and waste of time.

Ketchikan, AK

Default PM

Majik, sent you a pm.