Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Reds vs Russian Reds?

Default Kenai Reds vs Russian Reds?

Hi guys,

Went to the Russian (again) and was talking to a few guys who were leaving around 3am.

One guy told me: "dont waste your time on the Russian, hike down to the Kenai"

I didnt listen to him, but I still managed my 3 and Rose got 2. So thats good. It did take me from 5am until 1pm though. I know to many of you alaskans that sounds horrible. But Im used to fishing for 8-10 hours straight just to make sure there are no fish around.

I was just curious all day though; I read somewhere, or someone told me that the Kenai Reds are bigger than the Russian reds? Did I dream this?
    I know BrianM told me its not as fun to fish the Kenai for them because you cant sight-fish as much (if at all), so how do you know where to fish? Experience? Follow someone who's got 2 on the stringer? lol
    If they are bigger, Id like to try my luck at them. Im patient enough that Id spend a day just to catch one.

Long questions I guess. So Im gonna simplify.

1) Kenai Reds bigger than Russian REds?
    2) Where and How to fish Kenai for Reds?

Thats what I was getting at. Thanks in advance.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

1. Yes kenai reds are generally quite a bit larger ( 2-3 pounds most likely )

2. We use a boat to go up the river; find a nice sandbar, and start castin away- when theyre in you can still see em since they hang relatively close to shore (2-10 ft) that being said I imagine sight fishing on the Russian is easier but when Kenai reds are in... man wow; You'll be catchin em weather you can see it or not- during the peak 40-50k fish can move up one day

- As far as fishin the banks of the Kenai without a boat that can be a different story. Expect combat fishing and deeper holes. It can still be a blast however, just gotta give it a try.

Sorry- as far as rigging goes, set your weight 4-5 ft away from the hook using a 3 way divider and floss em.

Default soda

have you ever caught 14 pound reds on the russin ? I caught a few in the 12 pound range and one that was 14 lbs last year on the keani also the curent is genraly faster on the keani wich makes the fish feel biger..however you cant see them on the keani but If the fish numbers are large it wont matter a few years ago the keani had over 350000 fish push through the sonars in a three day period ,,,,,it was crazzzzzzzyyyyy,,,

14 lb red? thats HUGE man wow, biggest we got was 11 or 12 last year

GEEZUZ GUYS!!

Im trying to go to sleep!! Why do you have to do this to me!!
    Now Ill be up all night thinking about this.

Can I get them from shore? If so, where can I go and get them???

MAn...that sounds FUN. When do they come in?

Smile yep it was huge

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    14 lb red? thats HUGE man wow, biggest we got was 11 or 12 last year
    I thought I hooked a king or snaged a red it ran up an down the river 4 times it took around 10 min to land when I did get it close i was happy to see it was fair hooked rite in the mouth.,,,,btw it was my last red i caught last year before we had to go home

Default soda pm me or call me

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    GEEZUZ GUYS!!

Im trying to go to sleep!! Why do you have to do this to me!!
    Now Ill be up all night thinking about this.

Can I get them from shore? If so, where can I go and get them???

MAn...that sounds FUN. When do they come in?
    call me for spots to go I think I alredy told ya on another post.they hit the keani mid july but have been late the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    call me for spots to go I think I alredy told ya on another post.they hit the keani mid july but have been late the last 2 years.
    I just sent you a PM. Mid July... Hope they are on time. Im leaving august 2nd!

Default I hope so to

I just sent you a PM. Mid July... Hope they are on time. Im leaving august 2nd!
    last year thet hit good on july 19th this year I guess they will hit good on the 17th

Ripndrag you really should have taken that fish to ADFG and gotten a trophy fish certificate! Minimum req is 12 lbs for sockeye and the state record is 16/0 pounds.

Default I Would Have But

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Ripndrag you really should have taken that fish to ADFG and gotten a trophy fish certificate! Minimum req is 12 lbs for sockeye and the state record is 16/0 pounds.
    I HAD TO GET MY ACE BACK TO ANCHORAGE TO CATCH A PLANE AT 6 AM THE NEXT MORNING I HAD TO TRADE THAT FISH FOR ALREADY FROZEN FISH TO TAKE HOME .

soda - When they're telling you to go down to the Kenai, right now those would be Russian-bound fish anyway. As indicated earlier, no Kenai fish enter the system until July.

Default Soda....

I've fished both Russian & Kenai; both can be great!
    No one mentioned it yet, but you may want to gear-up a little for Kenai fishing due to the 3 factors already mentioned:

1. Bigger fish
    2. Crowds
    3. Current

What kind of rig are you using now (rod/reel)?
    We swapped over to flyrods last year and I'll not go back to spinning rods (poor) or baitcasters (better) unless I break my flyrod.
    I've got a 8wt and love it, my compradres have 9 & 10 wt rods; a little heavier and not as sensitive IMO. Run straight mono (17-20 test) directly off the reel and 3 way swivel as recommended to keep sinker below line of sight to the fly (this WILL WORK better).
    We used to follow the crowds (Soldotna area) and did okay, but what a zoo! Now we fish a little hole near our place or put the boat in and bank fish the Big Eddy area (steep cut banks) or run upriver from Bing's.
    BTW------our July trips run from July 19 thru Aug 8; 2006 we missed the fish because we went home too early (Aug. 1) therefore we stay longer.
    Also BTW------in July, there's little chance you're gonna find any remote or secluded fishing anywhere on the Kenai (mid/lower river). No such thing. If there's a good place to fish reds and they are in, people will be there but there's always room. Just gotta scout around. Great thing to make friends with someone who has a place on the river and be able to fish at their place!
    Unless you're already fishing with a flyrod, get down to Trustworthy and get one!
    Jim

Thanks for the info guys. I dont mind fishing with a crowd. I realized the other day, the only crowd I ever notice are the guy/gal to my left, and the guy/gal to my right.

If they are cool, then Im cool. If one of them likes to crowd or is rude, I move.

I get a bit of tunnel vision when I fish, so those are the only 2 people I notice in a crowd. Ive met some good people on the Russian the past few times I was there. Even exchanged my email with 2 of them.

BUT...

If I can find a spot a little more secluded?! Im all for it.

The set up I have now will not do so there is no point in giving you a break down. Lets just say it takes me a little while to land even the smaller reds in the russian.

I will switch to 20lbs instead of 15lbs but I dont know how to use a fly rod. Thats my horrible secret. It looks really fun. Especially when I watched other guys use them. Ive gotten really used to spinning and Ill probably stick to that, but use a bit of a heavier rod for the Kenai.

I guess this forum will ring the alarm when they arrive??

Default fly rod

soda you will be fine with a spinning rod that is what most pepole use also 20lb test works good for me look at my other posts for a setup.

Talking

Thanks for the info guys. I dont mind fishing with a crowd. I realized the other day, the only crowd I ever notice are the guy/gal to my left, and the guy/gal to my right.

If they are cool, then Im cool. If one of them likes to crowd or is rude, I move.

I get a bit of tunnel vision when I fish, so those are the only 2 people I notice in a crowd. Ive met some good people on the Russian the past few times I was there. Even exchanged my email with 2 of them.

BUT...

If I can find a spot a little more secluded?! Im all for it.

The set up I have now will not do so there is no point in giving you a break down. Lets just say it takes me a little while to land even the smaller reds in the russian.

I will switch to 20lbs instead of 15lbs but I dont know how to use a fly rod. Thats my horrible secret. It looks really fun. Especially when I watched other guys use them. Ive gotten really used to spinning and Ill probably stick to that, but use a bit of a heavier rod for the Kenai.

I guess this forum will ring the alarm when they arrive??

Tried a friends fly rod for the first time this weekend. Now I'm gonna go blow a couple hundred and pick up one of my own. Definitely the most fun I've ever had on the Kenai! It's not as hard to learn as it looks, and the fishing portion is basically the same, it's playin' the fish where it gets largely different.

Give it a try, you'll love it!

Jon

Soda, when I get my flyrod back from the manufacturer we'll go out again and I'll let you play with my rod for a while. Casting dry flies is certainly different, but plunking for reds is not all that different on a fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Soda, when I get my flyrod back from the manufacturer we'll go out again and I'll let you play with my rod for a while. Casting dry flies is certainly different, but plunking for reds is not all that different on a fly rod.
    Coolio. When are you getting your rod back anyways? You must be soo anxious. Actually, you did really well with Sara's rod so you probably dont miss it that much.

Got another question that is somewhat related.

Copper River Reds. There is smoked copper river reds all over Anchorage.

Whats up with those reds? Where is Copper River? When do they Run and how do you catch them?

Copper River Reds. There is smoked copper river reds all over Anchorage.

Whats up with those reds? Where is Copper River? When do they Run and how do you catch them?
    The Copper River runs from the interior down past Gulkana/Glenallen/Chitna and eventually pours into the ocean in the vicinity of Cordova. These fish are considered better by many because of their higher fat content, due to the fact that they have a longer migration. The higher fat content lends them a richer flavor, and thus a higher price. Most fishing in the Copper itself if dipnetting, which is a resident-only fishery. So once you move up here.... All fish going up the Copper are actually going elsewhere, as the Copper itself is a very swift, turbid, muddy glacial river. The two most popular rivers to target Copper River fish for rod/reel fishermen are the Gulkana River and the Klutina River. You'll pass right over the Klutina on your way to Valdez, and the Gulkana will be just a short drive north of Glenallen (where you'll be turning south on your drive to Valdez). I've never fished the Klutina, but believe that there should be reds to be found in both rivers when you're going through there, and possibly still kings in the Gulkana.

Yeah, that's what you need...more fishing to get excited about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast