Thread: Homer Halibut size

Default Homer Halibut size

Is it just me or is the average size of Halibut being caught going down a bit? I know an average 'but is about 25# but I've been seeing alot smaller fish being brought in. Just wondering if anyone else in noticing that.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

They are way smaller.

We just came back with 15-20 pounders and 5-10 years ago we NEVER kept anything under 20 pounds. Most would be 25-40 pounds.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I've only been out a couple times this year but have not found this problem. I have found them larger than normal. I haven't caught a single fish under 20 lbs at all this year. Last trip yielded 8 fish near 35 pounds. 25lbs is not average for most people. I'd say it's closer to 20lbs for most people. If the fish you catch are always small, it's time to explore some new spots.

I watched two 6 pack charters return the same time we did on Wednesday. The fish they caught that day fit into one smallish plastic bin easily carried by 2 guys. I doubt there was a halibut in there more than 25 pounds. Watched them when they departed in the morning and they were headed out and around the point towards Flat Island.
    But sea's were pretty bad (4-7 feet) and son and I got skunked. There fish were small but they had more than we did!
    Tennessee

Wink

THE FISH ARE SMALLER IN THE BAY BECAUSE THE WATER HAS BEEN COLD AND THE WATER HAS BEEN CRAPY...WE WENT OUT TODAY AND CAUGHT SOME NICE FISH 35LB BEING THE SMALLEST...MY FRIEND CAME IN FROM A OVERNIGHTER AND HAD A 50LB. AVERAGE...I AM NOT INTO GETTING CLIENTS SICK BUT IF THEY MUST GO I TELL THEM WHAT THE WATER WILL BE LIKE AND THE FISH SIZE...NOBODY SAYS '' TAKE ME FOR THE BIG ONE I DONT CARE IF I PUKE UP MY SPLEEN!
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

The best part I like is when you are out on a charter and reel in a 15lber. and the deck hand and captain goes thats a nice fish you gonna keep him that's and average fish. I don't keep fish that small unless we have been fishing for 8 hrs. and nothin in the boat. I find the surface water temp to still be a little cold give it time it will get better

I had a charter capt club a 12lber when i told him 5 times very clearly i did not want to keep it. I threw it on his chair and kept fishing. I told him it looked like he really wanted it being he kept it after i told him 5 times to let it go.

A BOLT OF LIGHTNING WILL COME DOWN AND HIT THE BOAT FOR KILLING A FISH THAT SMALL.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM