Thread: old brass questions, 222 Herters, 244, & -06

Default old brass questions, 222 Herters, 244, & -06

At an auction I bought a bunch of brass and some of it is very old and I wonder if anyone could give any feedback on it. I'm not sure what I've got, age and quality wise!

The first one is new, unprimed boxes of 20 each, Herters .222 mag. The box says "Herters Ultra Precision International Match Grade Cases", "Guaranteed Worlds Finest Quality", "Made in Sweden by Precision Craftsman"

Next is new unprimed brass, Remington brand, 244 Remington.

Last is once fired brass, box says "Western Cartridges, 30 Springfield 1906 Center Fire HAND LOADED Match Ammunition Lubaloy Non-fouling bullets, For Single Loading Only"

That is the front of the box, the back says "loaded by hand with smokeless powder, and Lubaloy bullets. Adapted to 1903 Model Springfield Rifle chambered for '06 cartridges and other Bolt Action arms chambered for this cartridge."

No where on the box does it say what type or grain of bullet that was loaded in it. Also, they appear to be nickel plated, headstamped "Western 30-6-1906"

The primer is nickel plated color just like the brass. One of the boxes has handwritten in pen on it "1940". I am guessing that is probably the vintage of these?

How are the above three for reloading? Are they worth any more or less than modern brass?

Thanks!

Learn all you can about annealing cases. Anneal the brass and load away.

Use proper techniques of and safe techniques, avoid the myths of how to anneal brass.

I'll take all of your .244 brass, if you don't have a need for it, PM and we can work something out.

All of the WESTERN 06 brass was loaded with 180 grain bullets if they had not been reloaded. Do the bullets look off color? They maybe cupola-nickel, these have a collector value. If the boxes are in reasonable condition. Of course if this is just brass forget the value for a collector.

Anneal the brass and use it.

The worry is over seasoning, or age cracking. This is why you want to anneal if you are going to use them.

In my ctg collection are many examples of loaded ammo that has age cracked. All of it was loaded in the 1920-1930 era. Any brass I have the least suspicion about gets annealed before I will use it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the info Big Al, I didn't even consider the age cracking aspect.

I guess I better get good at annealing... I don't need the 222 or 244, but might keep the 06 for old times sake.

I think all the 222 is new brass, the 244 I can't remember if new brass or fired, I will check and PM you. The -06 brass sure appears to be once fired just due to how the primer seems to match the cases.

The -06 brass really intrigued me by the box saying "Match" and "hand loaded", which seems unusual for factory ammo. Maybe that was just Westerns marketing tool...

Default correction on headstamp

The Western 30 Springfield 1906 brass is headstamped "Western 30-G-1906" not "Western 30-6-1906" as I stated in first post.

Default annealing...

These Western -06 rounds appear to be nickel, at least that is how they are colored. Can you anneal them same as regular brass, or different or at all?

I sure didn't realize they made nickel cases circa 1940. Is that what they are? When did nickel plated cases come about?

Herters Brass was made by Norma, good stuff

I would say that the 222 Mag Herters (Norma) brass is fine the way it is unless it has some corrosion that cannot be taken off with a normal case tumbling/vibrating (polishing media is corn cob meal and auto polish). If there is hard corrosion it won't likely work to shoot it and annealing won't help.

The Western cartridge match brass is nickeled and was made with the 173 grain lubaloy Western match bullet for the 600 yard line with the Springfield rifle. I have a box of loaded ammo of that same vintage. The headstamp is 30-G (government) -1906 It should be a souvignir, don't shoot it and no you cannot anneal nickeled brass because you cannot see the color and the nickel will come off.

The Remington to 244 (6mm) since it is unfired will probably be ok but may need annealing. Here again if it has hard corrosion, it will probably split. Do you have a 244/6mm and a 222 mag?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    These Western -06 rounds appear to be nickel, at least that is how they are colored. Can you anneal them same as regular brass, or different or at all?

I sure didn't realize they made nickel cases circa 1940. Is that what they are? When did nickel plated cases come about?
    I have never messed with nickel brass! I have reloaded a lot of nickel pistol brass and it has the habit of pealing the nickel, starting at the mouth.

I had/have some of the WESTERN loaded ammo in .300 H&H in the yellow&blue box. The WESTERN in 30-06 is in a white box with black print.

You do know there is a collectors group for ammo on the net? Do a search. I have never been to serious about collecting ammo. I have a big collection of ammo, but never was serious. I should be serious I guess?

I bought a case of WINCHESTER .22 SHORT rimfire, nickel plated in the white box for under .45 per box in the original case (5,000). I got it because the guy just wanted to unload the stuff because it was vary old.
    Boy was I surprised at a gun show when I saw several collector tables with this same ammo carefully wrapped in clear plastic and asking 50.00 a box.

I have examples of vary rare and unusual ammo. I really never even bothered cataloging it. It has just been a curiosity for me and kind of fun to have.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Do you have a 244/6mm and a 222 mag?
    No, I don't have either .222 magnum or .244 Remington. I got all these boxes of new brass (and the once fired nickel -06 brass) due to buying a group of items at an auction this weekend. It was in the mix.

Default The 244 Remington

You might want to see if you can find out when Remington last made 244. There is at least some chance it is considered a collectors item. I have heard of people collecting the Herter's stuff as well.