Thread: Nallo 4 GT

Default Nallo 4 GT

Well I am thinking about selling my Cabelas Alaknak II tent setup and moving toward a more backpack friendly setup since that appears to be where the wife and I are headed in our adventures. We are looking into picking up a Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT to serve as both our 2 person shelter as well as a tent the family can go in since we have 3 young kids. The tent packs to under 6 and a half pounds and should be pretty well bomb proof. Anyone have experiance with the Nallo GT series? I have not seen them in person yet and there is allways the worry about the tent not fitting my 6'5" despite the 87" interior length specification.

I have the Nallo 3GT. Awesome. Very roomy, nice big vestibule. Barney's doesn't carry them, but he does have a model that is similar (can't remember which one). He'll set the tents up in the store for you, takes just a few minutes. There is another post on here about the Nallo, so you should be able to find a little more info and pictures if you search for it.The toughest part for me was deciding on a color. I finally picked the red one.

Enjoy it, I love mine.

The Nallo tents are bomber and should easily fit your 6'5" frame and your family. They are high priced but worth every penny should you find yourself in bad weather.

Jason

Default Nallos

I thinik Barney's carries the Kaitum. Its basically the same but made with a heavier tear strength farbic and heavier poles.

I have a Nallo 2 and love it. I owned it since Jan and used it in all conditions since.

The Kaitum doesn't have the same size vestibule as the Nallo GT. It is a great tent though, I used a three person Kaitum while guiding in the Olympics last summer and it easily fit the three big adult men (200+ lb, 6' tall). It was a little heavy but not too much for three guys.

Jason

Default tent

I got my Kaitum from Barney's and am very happy with it. It is a tad heavier than some other tents but I think that it is worth both that and the price. The venting has kept things dry inside even in heavy rain and also in fog. The double end entry is rally handy because I can store my pack and boots in one end and then use the other end for an entry. I have had my sleeping bag get damp from condensation in previous tents and that was not a good situation so that is why I am happy with the kaitum.

I don't have the Nallo, but I have the Namatj 3 GT which is the same thing with slightly heavier fabric. The 3 person GT is big enough for two plus a foot and a half in between for gear (i.e. guns). Three people would fit, but would be right next to each other. The vestibule is huge compared to most backpacking tents and easily holds two external frame packs, boots, and doubles as the cooking area during rainy spells. I love mine and found it to be the perfect compromise for me between ultra-lightweight, space, and durability.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Nallo 4 GT

I am looking at the same tent. it seems my earlier post of Ultimate tent ( car camping ) has gone into a backpacking tent. The wife just did Crow's Pass with a few friends while I got to stay home with the kids and she would rather gear up for that instead of car camping, I am happy with that. Any how it's the 2 of us and 2 kids 8 and 7. We are debating on weather we get 2 light weight tents ie Big Agnes Copper Spur and we each carry 1 weighing around 4 pounds or 1 4 man tent Nallo and calling it a day. The reason for the debate is wondering if the 4 of us will actually fit in the tent somewhat comfortably. So keep us posted LuJon.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMike View Post
    I am looking at the same tent. it seems my earlier post of Ultimate tent ( car camping ) has gone into a backpacking tent. The wife just did Crow's Pass with a few friends while I got to stay home with the kids and she would rather gear up for that instead of car camping, I am happy with that. Any how it's the 2 of us and 2 kids 8 and 7. We are debating on weather we get 2 light weight tents ie Big Agnes Copper Spur and we each carry 1 weighing around 4 pounds or 1 4 man tent Nallo and calling it a day. The reason for the debate is wondering if the 4 of us will actually fit in the tent somewhat comfortably. So keep us posted LuJon.
    GeoMike,

You might be better served with the Kaitum 3 with the two doors and vestibules for your family. Something to think about.

Jason

Thanks, I'll look into it.

MY NEW TENT IS IN!! I will be picking it up right after work! Pics up soon! Also will be weighing it as soon as I get home.

I love this tent!!! It is a little big for 2 guys but for 3 it is just about perfect! We were able to fit both of our packs and have plenty of room to take off wet gear and cook if needed in the (HUGE) vestibule. I think this would be the ultimate alpine tundra tent. It is perfectly suited for our family of five since the kids are still little. The only downfall is you better be sure to get up above tree line or know of a large level area to set it up! It will pitch on uneven ground and there is room in the tent to find a semi level way to sleep. We had a beautiful night no rain no wind but the tent is so well made that I am sure it will prove to be bombproof. There are tons of guy out points and it sets up very easy!
    Here is the maiden voyage we camped at 1300 feet while cutting a trail up the mountain through the rediculously thick alders.

Default Nallo's

Are they freestanding or do you have to have it guy lined down? I've been looking at the Nallo 2 for a solo tent. What other things did you or didn't like about the tent?

The Nallo and Namatj are not freestanding tents; that's about the only draw back I can think of with them.

Another benefit of the tents is the guaranteed dry set up because the inner liner is pre-attached to the rain fly during storage and does not get exposed to the elements during pitching.

The yellow inner liner does an excellent job at transmitting light to avoid that dark, cave-like feeling you get in some tents.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

As posted above they are not freestanding but the Nallo is designed in such a way that it wants to stand more so than other tunnel style tents that I have used. I think that it would be easier to set up in both rain (as mentioned) and high wind. With the tunnel design you can assemble the tent with it flat on the ground and 1 end (into the wind) allready staked. Then once you get the 3 tent poles in place you just grab the unstaked (down wind) end and pull which will erect the entire tent. Those swede's sure no a thing or two about tents!

I recently picked up a Nallo 3 GT and I am so glad I switched out from the Allak to the Nallo. That GT vestibule is freaking huge and I got a 13" wider tent and a monster vestibule and am still 3 oz lighter than the little Allak was. These Hilleberg tents sure do kick azz!

Welcome to the club! I am thrilled with my tent as well now, where to find a 70mph wind to test it out?

Ya, I think a Hilleberg is the best tent your hunting partner can buy ....

Seriously though, congrats guys. I have a feeling I'll be next.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Several years ago there were some complaints about excess condensation in the Hillebergs in general. What has been your experience guys?

I used the Allak for 6 nights on the slope this spring and had no condensation issues with a pretty wide spread temp range and rain. These Hillebergs have so many venting options that I simply cant see how you couldn't ventilate it well. Seriously theres quite a few venting systems built in.,But I have heard that they have changed the designs a bit on every tent in the recent years to assist with ventilation so I cant say what the old ones did.