Thread: Build My Own Smoker

Default Build My Own Smoker

Hello,

I have been surfing the net looking for a idea of building my own smoker. I have been using the little chief, but personally want to do a big end of the year smoke. Plan on jar and canning almost all the fish. Gonna send the canned smoked fish to family in Oregon. Well, ideas of building a good smoker to smoke around around 10 fish at a time at least would be greatly appreciated. PS My wife wants one that looks decent?? That might be tuff.

Thanks for your help
    Nick

Default Old Refrigerator...

... A friend of mine used an old refrigerator. I think he took all the plumbing out of it and sealed the holes (maybe?) He is coming into town soon and i will ask him how he did it. PM me in a week and i will let ya know what he said.

Default 55 Gallon drum smoker

When I was a kid I helped my stepfather put together a smoker using a 55 gallon drum. We but it in half and attached hinges on one side and a handle on the other. In the bottom we cut a hole big enough for aluminum tube to fit then attached that to a aluminum box we put together using pop rivets.
    The fire/smoke came from the box below and since we lived in south FL at the time we used mangrove wood. We smoke quite a lot of fish that year.
    You can use the idea and modify to suit your needs. Like adding a second box or larger one than what we used. Depends on how much smoke you want. It's definitely a slow process but the end results were always great.

Send AK_DUCKMAN a private message. He built a smoker in his backyard. I think you'll like the design of his. Maybe he'll snap a picture of it.

If it is permanent we built some out of cedar fence wood that look like an outhouse, crescent moon vent hole and everything. They turned out pretty good and suprisingly are a kitchy nice addition to our garden area.

I use a 12 cu foot chest freezer there is a box that protrudes inside the freezer and is about one foot square this box is where the pump and motor is remove this and use a hole cutter to cut down through the top the back of this area is open you can use a hot plate or the burner from your little chief and make a smoke riser out of aluminum vent tubing.

does any of this make sense? I can tell you it will look just like a small white chest freezer on the outside but is insulated enough that you can smoke a ham in it in January with out a problem.

you can put this against your garage or shed and no one knows the difference.

Default Another thought

The smokehouse in the picture isn't mine, but belongs to a friend of the family. I'm going to build mine very similiar to this one because it works so darn good. While plywood is easier to work, I think rough sawn is better to use because of the odd chance of the glue possibly gassing off and mixing with the alder smoke.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just heard about using old dryers and taking the tumbling drum out of them and using the main body. That would work.

Sausagemaker.com has the stack with baffel / damper. I use 220 voilt hot palates off a old stove. A old freezer does great. Screw some hard wood 1x2s to the side and use hard wood dowels to hang the meat or put good oven racks across the dowels. I use a controler for a grren house that goes to 220 f and I can set how hot or cold I want the smoker to be. i drilled two holes into the smoker one for the controler tem and the other for a long temp to see what the inside of the frig is without opening the frig. The damper controls the air flow to the hot plate were a stainless steel pan holds the damp saw dust. sent me a private and I will look up the info on the controler if you like. I do about 500 lbs of sausage and fish a year in this smoker.

Blessing

Grizz