View Poll Results: Trail Difficulty Poll: Bird Creek

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Very easy: trail, great for beginners and families

6 25.00%
  • 2 Mostly easy: with a few moderate areas, ok for families and children

7 29.17%
  • 3 Moderate: may have some mud, rocks, hills and water obstacles that require some rider skill

6 25.00%
  • 4 Difficult: winches, aggressive tires, and experienced riders. Use caution

0 0%
  • 5 Very Difficult: this trail for experts, use extreme caution due to multiple hazards

1 4.17%
  • 6 This poll is stupid, don’t torture me with any more of them.

4 16.67%

Thread: Trail Difficulty Poll: Bird Creek

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Trail Difficulty Poll: Bird Creek

I thought that perhaps we could use Bird Creek as a test case for trail difficulty polling as it is the closest trail for Anchorage riders, and many folks have ridden there at one time or another. If there seems to be quite a bit of participation in the poll, and you guys feel that there is value in something like this, then we can post similar polls for the other trails.

Also please note that I understand trail conditions vary greatly due to weather, time of year etc. That said, this poll should be intended to give the novice or first time visitor to a particular trail an “average overall” difficulty rating. You should think of it this way; “most of the time, this trail is …………….”
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Bird Creek, is about the most basic, beginner trail you're likely to find. It offers both mud bogs, where the 4x4's can play, and long straights, the sport quads will enjoy. Its a much safer place to ride, than Jim's Creek, or Knick River, as the mud is not silt, and will not hurt your ATV. And there are far fewer drunks. There are also no trucks to contend with.

There is nothing terrifically hard about it. A few gentle hills, and a couple of moderate ones. ATV's shouldn't play in the river, as its swallowed several ATV's that I know of.

Currently, Bird, is probably the best place to ride for beginners, as its a relatively low risk, and enjoyable ride. Its gated, so nothing larger than a 50 inch ATV will fit. A Polaris Ranger RZR, will fit, but its tight. Nothing over 52 inches is going to fit, unless you circumvent the gate some how.

I rode this trail quite a bit this spring while brown bear hunting, what you say about the trail being easy is mostly true....until you get about 5 miles down the trail. Then it turns into a series of steep rock/root infested hills with some real sharp twists on the trail and once you get by that, the trail goes just a bit further then it stops. Seems that there was kind of gail force winds or something this past winter that knocked down a ton of trees across the trail and there's no picking your way around them. Trust me, we tried a bunch of times.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

those downed trees are actually from a couple years ago, but that one big blow last fall added some new ones to the mix. Technically ATV's are not allowed beyond a certain elivation, and I think it is like 500 feet or something like that. pretty much where the passable trail ends.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Probably a silly question, but where's the Bird Creek Trailhead?? I've driven around Bird looking for it, but to no avail. I get the impression that it's behind that mechanic's shop and his little parking lot, but haven't seen it.

Thanks in advance!

Go past Bird Creek and it's the left turn just before the car shop. Go straight back, it'a about a mile and half or so to the parking lot.

Thanks!! I'll venture back in there for a look-see before bring the big truck and trailer.

you make a left at Konikson rd imediatly before the guys autobody shop. Plenty of room for a big truck and trailer in the parking lot.