Thread: Cartridge/bullet dilema for Tundra Grizzly

Default Cartridge/bullet dilema for Tundra Grizzly

I've no doubt this has been rehashed numerous times but still wanted to run it past the board.

Should be on the ground 8 Sept for Grizzly. This will not be Brown Bear. I'll be far above the 62nd parallel. My outfitter tells me a large boar can go 500-550 lbs; sows about 1/2 that. They "do" shoot a 9 footer each year. About 25% of his bears are B&C. He prefers shots @ 80-100 yds. Some hunters have shot as far as 250 yds. Average wind speed per a climate web site I found for the local town is 10 mph with a max of 57 mph. Their are no trees or mountains where I'm going so I'm told it blows, alot! No steep up/down angles. Just wide open rolling country.

I've got two rifles with 3 bullet choices.

My first is my Rem 700 in 30-06 Ackely w/ 26" ss Lilja barrel pushing the 180 Accubond @ 3000 fps. Accuracy can get me 4.25" groups at 800 yds. MPBR=303 yds w/ a 3" max/min height. 10 mph wind moves the bullet 5.5" @ 300 yds. Enerby is 2431 ft lbs w/ impact vel being 2466 fps.

My 2nd is the same rifle but with the 200 Partition @ 2850 fps. Accuracy is just about as good. MPBR=287 yds. 300 yd bullet movement due to 10 mph wind is 6.3". Energy is 2363 ft lbs w/ impact vel being 2307 fps

My 3rd possible choice is a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 pushing the 286 Paritition at 2400 fps. Accuracy with my load has been 1 to 1-1/4 MOA. MPBR=241 yds. 10 mph wind moves the bullet 8" @ 300 yds. Energy is 2320 ft lbs with impact vel being 1911 fps.

Nosler suggest 1800 minimum impact velocity.

I'm not expecting any bad things to happen but one should still be prepared. I talked to one of the outfitters previous 2007 bear hunters who ended up taking his 7' Grizzly @ 100 ft as it was "walking" unknowingly towards him on a path through the willows. Plowed it under with a 300 RUM and the 180 Scirrocco.

I'm not worried about any of the potential combinations "not" working. Wish I could shoot a bear with each combo. Like that's going to happen!

Any of your three options will do fine. A 550 lb. tundra grizz would be a big one and much above the average of what I have heard of up this way. Be sure to bring plenty of ammo, I'm sure your guide has mentioned that. Get in shape, not easy walking. Good luck and remember to share your story.

Default the 2nd one?

I think I'd go with your second option. Those Nosler Partition's are nasty bullets and in 200 grain they outta suck the wind out of his sails' in no time.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default All Would Work...

but if you shoot them both well, I'd say go with the 9.3 just because there aren't many chances to pull out the big gun for North American game.

I've got a Storm 3300 double rifle case. I could take both. I also want to take my 30" Webley & Scott 2-1/2" 12ga, retailed by Manton of London for Ptarmigan. Now, if I could get all 3 guns into that case, it would be the cats meow. Soon as I get the CZ back from the 'smith's, who is free floating the barrel, I'll know if they will all fit.

I'm leaning towards the 9.3 simply because it's such a neat cartridge and as soon as I shoot my spike elk this Oct, I'm selling it.

Just pick the one YOU are most accurate with - that should be your #1 consideration - I think that any of the 3 are more than adequate tho I would favor the NP over the AB. I doubt if your guide will let you shoot at 800 yds - I would plan on your shot being at < 200 yds.
    Shoot straight and it will be a done deal. Good luck.

Default Noslers

I've guided to a couple bears and shot a few. (Not nearly as many as some) Nosler partitions are the real deal man. I haven't recovered a single one that wasn't just under the far skin perfectly mushroomed. The others blow out the far shoulder and aren't found. Lovem for big bears. Either one of those guns will work. I'd shoot the bigger gun, just cause......why own a big gun if you aren't gonna shoot bears with it? You said the guide says you'll be shooting 100yds so you're fine either way. Have fun!!

3rd choice. Never underestimate Grizzlys. Some go down hard and some go down harder. The 06 will do the job, just not as well as the larger calibers. My favorite is a 300 Win Mag, with 180 Nozler Patition for Grizzlies.

I would go with the second rifle. The first rifle would be out because I would not want to pack around a 26 inch barrel.

The third would out cause I never heard of it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I'd take your CZ. What scope you got on it?

All choices will work, I just think the 9.3x62 is such a neat cartrige and is taylor made for this kind of hunt. There is far more to cartridge effectiveness than kinetic energy. The 9.3 performs far better than it's paper ballistics suggest. One of my favorites!

My CZ has got several things going for it.

1. Scope is the Leupold VXII 2x7 w/ LR reticlel. I'll keep it on 2x at all times until I'm ready to take an other than "up close and personal" shot. If for some reason I "needed" to take a longish shot, the two extra dots will help out with bullet placement.

2. My CZ is about 4 years old and it's mauser action/claw extractor is a smooth as snail snot. Very reliable!

3. The 9.3 factor is way cool but at the same time, way serious with it's 286 gr Nosler Partition which could probably punch stem to stern of an inbound Grizzly.

4. The single set trigger leads to great accuracy in the secondary set mode yet is still light enough should I need the primary trigger first.

Also, I have no intentions of shooting a Grizzly at 800 yds, or even 400+. I've every confidence my guide will get me within 250 yds.

Default One choice

Your third choice is the only choice . 30 cal . rifles have rolled alot of bears over but are not in the same league as a 9.3x62 , not even close . 9.3x62 is seen as an exceptable "minimum" for dangerous game by some African countries .

I would go with the 9.3 and make the guide get me within 100 yards or closer.I think of big bears as dangerous game and DG is to be shot close.Its just not DG if you smite it hundreds of yards away.

Default 6/08 hunt in sept 08'

How did the hunt go?

I'm just curious why logman decided to dig up two old threads on smaller powered cartridges for hunting bears?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem