Thread: Shipping Antlers

Default Shipping Antlers

Planning a float hunt and might have mooose and 'bou antlers. (Our first time.) Will the antlers of either species be required to be cut in half in order to get them shipped? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Planning a float hunt and might have mooose and 'bou antlers. (Our first time.) Will the antlers of either species be required to be cut in half in order to get them shipped? Thanks.
    Not if cost isn't an issue for you

Default antlers

I would call the air lines to double check , if i was you . Good luck hunting

Default just my thoughts

Be prepared, aka absolutely call the airlines or whatever shipping service, you will want to have the points cardboarded and duct taped, and have some type of box to store it in, if you ship via RPS/UPS get your wallet out, cost 375 to have a european mount on my caribou sent to the lower 48

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Not if cost isn't an issue for you
    ^^^ What does that mean? Not sure but I think the OP was asking a serious question....

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    ^^^ What does that mean? Not sure but I think the OP was asking a serious question....

dws meant that some folks will still pay the cost to ship their trophy horns home uncut if allowed to--even if the cost is excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    dws meant that some folks will still pay the cost to ship their trophy horns home uncut if allowed to--even if the cost is excessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Will the antlers of either species be required to be cut in half in order to get them shipped? Thanks.
    I am not sure but I think Believer was trying to find out if it is even possible to ship antlers uncut. Hopefully, someone has done this process before and can anwser his question. Who allows it - airline, UPS, other shipping company? What would be the difference in cost between cut/uncut?

Believer, My dad brought home uncut moose anlters from Alaska a few years ago. They had a spread of just over 72". I will ask him how he transported them and get back to you.

We cut my Dad's moose antlers in half and he checked them in as luggage in a suitcase I call the body bag. He paid the extra baggage fee which was $75.00 I believe. UPS wanted $200.00 for the same package.

Believer, I just checked with my dad and he shipped two antlers uncut via Alaska airlines for a fee of $50 total. The largest set had a spread of 69 7/8 inches (it scored 230) and the second set, 56" was set inside the larger set and tied together, and pieces of hose was tapped over the points. They arrived in Oregon just fine.