Thread: Pipe Question

Default Pipe Question

anyone know where I can get a 20' stick of 1/2 solid round aluminum pipe or 20' of pipe that is 5/8 o.d. so I can bend my new rim for my net. I checked alaska steel and all they carry is 12' of the solid aluminum and want to bend it without a joint thanks

The net frames are usually made of 1/2 or 5/8 round bar stock, with 5/8 being the most common I've seen and the only size I've used. Standard length of bar stock is 12' unless you special order from the manufacturer. Then you might as well make it out of solid gold for what you're going to pay. When we build net frames, it takes 2 lengths of bar stock to make one frame. You weld them together on the far side of the frame with a TIG and a very experienced welder. It's the most tedious part of manufacturing a net frame. MIG welding isn't strong enough and it will break under load. The alternative is to sleeve the joint.

Pipe comes in 21' lengths. To get an OD of about 1/2", you need 1/4 pipe (nominal size is 0.540" in schedule 40) and to get an OD of about 5/8", you need 3/8 pipe (nominal size is 0.675" in schedule 40). This is the same sizes as plumbing pipe. If you're going to bend it, you'll want a 5000 series alloy and it must be bent on a mandrel bender or it will flatten at the bend. The schedule 40 wall thickness in this pipe range is close to 90 thousanths, which is pretty thin.

Then there is tubing... but we shouldn't even go there.

So, you can either get the small pipe and have it bent or get the round bar and have it welded.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks Joat!!! I was just asking cause my buddy built one year's ago with the 1/2' stock and it came in a 20'+ lenght and now I guess they don't come in that lenght anymore. my frame now is built with 1/2 conduit but the od was to big for the yoke and had to do some modifacation's to the yoke to make it work. It has worked well for about 6years now but where I put the conduit coupling it has worn out pretty good and it's time to rebuild and i wanted to build one without the joint this time.

If you want I can weld two section of EMT or Aluminum rod. I also live in Anchorage.

pm sent to you moose Thanks

You could get a 20' stick of 1/2" stainless from Dowlandbach in Anchorage.

I was cheap and just welded together to 10' sticks of 1/2" conduit.

Default Even Lighter

There's the lighter vs. heavier arguements, but I prefer to go ultralight. My father in law built a hoop out of 3/8ths aluminum. He used a coupling and bought some aluminum gookie stuff from a marine supply store to make the hoop one length. The handle is made from some very lightweight 1/5" aluminum tubing that we shot some insulfoam into; it is so stinking light it makes me smile about every time I get the "surprise" of a sockeye.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

It depends where and how you fish. On the copper you'd be likely to destroy a lightly built rig if you tie in and fish a backeddy. On the Kenai you might not have that problem, but I have come in after a float with 5 fish in the net, and there is that possibility of a Kenai King

I've found the 1/2" conduit and closet rod handle has held up fine for several seasons and many fish. I wouldn't mind it being a bit lighter to carry it back after each float, but I barely find enough time to fish to comtemplate the next version of dipnet. I hope the second run reds aren't late this year.