Thread: grayling fishing?

Default grayling fishing?

can anyone tell me when i can start grayling fishing or when they start biting, I heard they bite flies around now, but cant seem to ever hook one, any advice?

Are you fishing for these in Kodiak? If so are they in Lakes? If you are fishing for them in Lakes try Early morning or Late evening. During the day Your best bet is to troll a small spinner or wooly bugger.

Look for them rising on the surface to tell you where they are.

I caught this guy, and many of his buddies, last week fishing a river confluence where it flowed into a lake in the evening. They were hitting dry flies and wet flies, didn't seem to matter what I was throwing at 'em. I have no doubt spinners and spoons would have worked just as well. I just waded out a bit and fished the current seam where debris and insects were collecting as they were flushed from the river into the lake.

P.S. the pictures don't do this fish justice, he was quite big for a grayling and very thick across the back as were most others I caught at this spot. For reference, that's an 8 wt rod, not a smaller 4-5 wt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice fish, that looks like a great grayling hole., no actually I am in tok, more towards fairbanks., I heard that they are in this river the "mosquito fork" year round, but wasent sure what time of the year they would take a dry fly.