Thread: Question about Birch creek float hunt

Default Question about Birch creek float hunt

I am looking a doing a float hunt down Birch Creek in Sept. We have a choice between using canoes or Catarafts. For those who have did the float which one would you sugggest? There will be four of us, so it would probably be two to a cataraft or each would have their own canoe.

Default float

I floated a portion of it MANY years ago in a canoe and that worked fine. What stretch of river are you looking at?

Default Float area

Looking at putting in at the headwaters at MP 94 on the Steese and going to the take out where it meets the Steese again.

Default One more question

For anyone that has did this float, did you leave a vehicle at the pick-up point? If so, did you feel safe doing that or did anything happen to it?

Default Birch

You have a PM.

Default Birch

When I floated I had my wife pick me up. I am sure that both the road and situations are now different so can't advise you about vehicle arrangement.

Default Cataraft

I've done this float and strongly suggest you use a cataraft. In fact, I hunt frequently with a rifle that I found on my first float on Birch. I doubt the previous owner was in a raft.

The creek has a habit of being deep and then shallowing as it runs over gravel - in low water years to only inches. That (and on sharp bends) is where people get in trouble with canoes.

If the water is low, you will have to do some dragging but that is preferable to being soaking wet & cold.

As far as leaving a vhicle, we always left ours at the put-in and hitched a ride back after the float. Once my buddy (much younger than I ) had to walk the entire distance. We have never had any trouble but there is always a first time. Plenty of traffic on the Steese (and on the creek).

If you need more info - send a PM.