Thread: Mercury 25/20 4 stroke jet ??

Default Mercury 25/20 4 stroke jet ??

Dealers tell me (wink wink) that it makes 20 hp at the jet. Being its a 25 powerhead and doing the 1/3 math not possible to me. They tell me its really a 30 hp powerhead(wink wink) or that Mercury tweaked the fuel system(wink wink) or that since its a four stroke it has more power or because it has a stainless steel impellar.Or maybe all of the above. But since they are dealers it must be true.Why didn,t they a call it the 30/20 then? What say you??

That's what they told me also it was a 25/20, got a 97 evinrude that is 25/18 works pretty good one the 14ft jon, just that you won't break any speed records.

I want a small jet to put on a Alaskan jet ranger. But i would go with a Yamaha 2 stroke 25 hp i think because it weighs less and has more poop out of the hole plus no oil to run out when laying down.

Default Canada? used?

Won't you have to go to Canada, or buy a used one? Aren't the smaller 2-strokes barred from sale in the US now? Too, I fear there will be more and more places where 2-strokes will be outlawed down the road, though I'm thinking about the Yam for a canoe.... oh, sigh.

No you can still buy them here and use them most places. They are a lot lighter motor and since they hold no oil like a 4 stroke you can lay them down in a pickup or airplane plus I think they have more real power??

Default Jet

I have said this before, on different thread that a 25hp is a25hp the motor don,t know what is down there!!prop or a jet...Getting down to brass tacks here, its, the efficency of it all. These dealers and all there sales crap, Drives me nuts!!! If weight is a concern than 2 stroke way to go. end of story there...I had what Summitx had 25 with jet 14ft. 2 guys 6 gals gas 2 fish in a cooler. Worked perfect,more than that 3guys, wouldn,t get on full step, have to run wide open and still hit bottem where i could go before. More people more Motor just that simple.. I don,t know the weight of your jet.ranger so forth, Just pass info what is doable, from what i owned or what friends setup had..I could add, in the end i put a 40hp with jet, tiller. same boat and carry what the 25 did with the prop,But the benifit of running shallow water Willow, Little willow, Little Su. It all comes down to Weight!!! How Much? How fast? Where are you going to go! More HP. is better You can always back off the throttle when your byyourself And when your not your going to wish for that extra 5-10 hp. Look Get a Honest weight Stay within that and go have fun!!