Thread: Kenai king catch?

Default Kenai king catch?

I just heard second hand that Thursday on the lower Kenai, out of 400 rods on the water, 17 kings were landed. Can anyone verify this? With an average of 6 hours per angler, it works out to about 121 rod hours per king. If true, I would say that as fishing goes, this officially sucks!!!

Default That's a lot of rod-hours!

Not sure if it was as bad as you say, but I know it was VERY slow. Lots of long faces out there today. Counts and viz are both down, making the bite a bit tougher the last couple of days.

Overall the season has been fairly good, a whole lot fewer rod hours to required to land a king. Here are the YTD stats:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...8/08ersumm.pdf
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Viz is starting to turn around, but the water is still COLD... 42-43 degrees. Not exactly the best temps for active biters.

The entry of new kings into the river has also been on a downhill slide. Six straight days of daily counts in the 200-300 range.... only 196 on June 21. The run-size projection is back down to about 16.3K... right about historic average.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

The Kenai fishing is really tough right now, the worst I have seen it in a long time. Hopefully some favorable tides with push some fish in the river this upcoming week. The water is one rise and is clearing up. Maybe everything will come together for a good week!

Default Got one

I was down on the 18th and fished from the Pillars down to Eagle Rock for 5 hours and got one chrome bright 20lber....

only bite of the night. Didn't see any other boats with a fish on. Saw one boat that had a take down but the young lady in the seat couldn't get the rod out of the holder and missed her opportunity to set the hook....

Was sad but also funny, cuz everyone in the boat was giving her the evil eye afterwards....lol. You know it was a long slow day and that may have been their only bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    Saw one boat that had a take down but the young lady in the seat couldn't get the rod out of the holder and missed her opportunity to set the hook....
    DANG!

Should've had a FOLBE!
    The KeenEye MD

Default I love my Folbe's!

While it is a bit of a challenge to get the rod into the Folbe (until you understand how they work) I have never had a person on my boat have trouble getting the rod out with a fish on! Even the forward rods... While a bit cumbersome at times, they are the greatest in my opinion!

Doc are you currently in WA or AK? With the ammount of info you have I'd almost guess you're on the river daily

Default In WA as we speak (type)

Pretty funny how some of my "on-the-water" reports have to take a 5000 mile roundtrip detour thru the cell network to get from one tidewater hole to the next!

Ah... the power of technology!

Anyway, here's the latest Kenai update thru 6/22. With a solid week of daily counts of 300 or less, the runsize projection is down to 16.1K (actually y'days count of only 144 fish should knock that projection number down a bit more).

Thru June 22, an estimated 3061 fish have been caught with 2146 of them retained.... a retention rate of 70%. With 12575 fish past the counter, exploitation is running about 17%.

ADFG is projecting an escapement of 11.5K .

To achieve that, about 4500 fish need to die. I guess they are optimistically expecting more fish to be bonked in the next week than have been killed for the entire season to date. Wishful thinking? Or perhaps an acknowledgement that a number of ER fish will be killed in July? Who knows?

Either way, local managers were not equipped with enough "tools" in the box to harvest this thing down to BEG..... DANG! overescaped again!

Show of hands.... anybody else think that the 2008 ER return was so overwhelming that it actually threatens the overall well-being of the stock? Or that letting that many swim by is somehow going to jeopardize future harvests? That's what the current BEG tells us. Just not so sure a thinking man would buy it.

If the goal is not realistically achievable, what's the point? Maybe the old goal of 7200-14400 wasn't that far off the mark after all. At least managers had a reasonable chance to hit the mark. The newer goal just sets them up for pre-determined failure.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Either way, local managers were not equipped with enough "tools" in the box to harvest this thing down to BEG.....
    Part of the issue with harvesting power is the slot-limit that removes a large portion of the run from harvest. This was discussed at length at the BOF meeting and it was recognized that there had to be some give and take to protect 5-ocean fish. What needs to happen is just get more people out there fishing. FnP should be making his trip in June when its not crowded instead of waiting for July!

Default thread stealing?

Maybe this is a hijack, but wasn't fish and game expecting a higher than average retention rate with the new regulations for keeping smaller fish?

Default Average

Thanks for the link to F&G, doc. It couldn't be more of an average year than this, could it? 11 years better, 9 years worse, and one less hour per fish caught (18 vs 19).

Default Sorry akkona... look to someone else to help kill more kings...

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    FnP should be making his trip in June when its not crowded instead of waiting for July!
    Odd year trips are almost always in June. I enjoy the peaceful uncrowded conditions as well as the spunkier higher quality fish. And most years we seem to time it where we get into that first big push of bright biggun's... my absolute favorite time to be on the river.

Even year trips are always in the last week of July when my brothers and friends target the big kings. These trips spillover into the first full week of August so that my kids can enjoy the non-stop action when the river is typically filled with pinks, silvers, reds, rainbows, and dollies.

But don't count on me to make much of a contribution toward increasing the chinook exploitation rates. Anymore, the only kings I generally tag are the mortal bleeders
    The KeenEye MD

Default Very little give... lots of take.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    Part of the issue with harvesting power is the slot-limit that removes a large portion of the run from harvest. This was discussed at length at the BOF meeting and it was recognized that there had to be some give and take to protect 5-ocean fish.
    At 44 inches, the physically biggest quartile (25%) of the run was protected. Yes, I would concede that's removing a significant portion of the run from harvest. But all that changed this spring, where the new slot limit effectively guts out 40% of the protection afforded by the original slot limit.

With the new cutoff at 46 inches, the "new and improved" slot limit effectively protects only 15% of the early run from harvest. It's really difficult to characterize that as protecting a "large portion" of the run when 85% of the fish an angler will encounter are legal to harvest.

That's not to say that 85% of the catch will actually be harvested, but the potential is there if every legal fish were harvested. The stats actually show that retention rates are hovering at 70%, so there is some discretionary C&R going on out there beyond what is legally required by the slot limit. If you do the math, that works out to about 17.7% dicretionary C&R... in other words, more than 8 out of every 10 legal fish caught are being "released" into the fish box.
    The KeenEye MD