Thread: Kenai Peninsula Subsistence Fisheries - Week 1 Report

Default Kenai Peninsula Subsistence Fisheries - Week 1 Report

COOK INLET AREA – Doug Palmer, Acting Field Supervisor, Kenai Fish and Wildlife Field Office

A total of 62 individuals have been issued subsistence permits through 19 June. Permits have been issued to 54 Cooper Landing residents, 1 Hope resident, and 7 Ninilchik residents. Permits issued for the Kenai and Kasilof rivers are as follows:

60 Kenai River salmon permits
    18 Kenai River resident species permits
    7 Kasilof River salmon permits
    4 Kasilof River resident species permits

The 2008 hook and line subsistence fishery on the Russian and upper Kenai rivers opened on 11 June. Subsistence dip net salmon fisheries on the Kenai and Kasilof rivers opened on 15 June and 16 June, respectively. A total of 87 sockeye salmon have been harvested in the dip net fishery at the Russian River Falls. No harvest has been reported from other dip net fishing locations.

Fish Counts through June 18
    Russian River Weir - 2,468 sockeye salmon
    Kenai River Sonar - 11,555 Chinook salmon
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Here's Week 2...

COOK INLET AREA – Doug Palmer, Acting Field Supervisor, Kenai Fish and Wildlife Field Office
    A total of 85 individuals have been issued subsistence permits through 26 June. Permits have been issued to 63 Cooper Landing residents, 6 Hope resident, and 16 Ninilchik residents. Permits issued for the Kenai and Kasilof rivers are as follows:

81 Kenai River salmon permits
    18 Kenai River resident species permits
    11 Kasilof River salmon permits

A total of 389 sockeye salmon have been harvested in the dip net fishery at the Russian River Falls. No harvest has been reported from other dip net fishing locations.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Here's the report for Week 3...

A total of 99 individuals have been issued subsistence permits through 3 July. Permits have been issued to 66 Cooper Landing residents, 8 Hope resident, and 25 Ninilchik residents. Permits issued for the Kenai and Kasilof rivers are as follows:

92 Kenai River salmon permits
    19 Kenai River resident species permits
    18 Kasilof River salmon permits

A total of 694 and 13 sockeye salmon have been harvested in the dip net fisheries at the Russian River Falls and upper Kasilof River, respectively. No harvest has been reported from other dip net fishing locations.
    The KeenEye MD

OK, so what's your take, Doc? Just posting the numbers since this is a new fishery that had a lot of unknowns, or do you have something more to say?

Just FYI for those who might be interested... just sharing the data as it unfolds. I'm not aware that it is hosted anywhere else on the web.
    The KeenEye MD

Heck, doc is just posting data, anything wrong with that???? It seems to me anytime doc posts more than data he gets ripped on and attacked. Maybe it is what it is and annyone can draw their on conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Heck, doc is just posting data, anything wrong with that???? It seems to me anytime doc posts more than data he gets ripped on and attacked. Maybe it is what it is and annyone can draw their on conclusions.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...I wasn't accusing him of anything. I was asking if he had something else to say about it. I respect the guy's knowledge and opinion, even if I disagree with him once in a while. Nothing else intended other than to ask if he had thoughts to share.

have no idea why fishnphysician posts such data nor am i accusing him of anything.

that said, such data, by drawing attention to the social and ethnic divisions among alaska residents, has the potential to exacerbate existing tensions between resource user groups.

Default its ok

I was curious how that was going for the permit holders, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
    have no idea why fishnphysician posts such data nor am i accusing him of anything.

that said, such data, by drawing attention to the social and ethnic divisions among alaska residents, has the potential to exacerbate existing tensions between resource user groups.
    Really? Do you really think just posting data on this website will "exacerbate existing tensions between resource user groups" any more than the fact the feds decided to classify people living alongside one of Alaska's largest highways as "subsistence users"?

Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Really? Do you really think just posting data on this website will "exacerbate existing tensions between resource user groups" any more than the fact the feds decided to classify people living alongside one of Alaska's largest highways as "subsistence users"?

Give me a break.
    but that,s not the point, is it?

the federal position on subsistence was decided within the framework of our nation,s legal system, and one can choose to accept that fact and move on or one can choose to take offense, wallowing in social discord.

These . . doth the LORD hate . . and he that soweth discord among brethren. —Proverbs 6:16, 19

Default data

Sorry I don't have a biblical quote so I'll just have to put it in my own words - Thank you doc for providing the data.

I strongly agree that persons who live within 40 miles of a Safeway and McDonalds sure don't appear to be living a subsistance life style and I will continue to do all I can to change the way that the law has been interpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Sorry I don't have a biblical quote so I'll just have to put it in my own words - Thank you doc for providing the data.

I strongly agree that persons who live within 40 miles of a Safeway and McDonalds sure don't appear to be living a subsistance life style and I will continue to do all I can to change the way that the law has been interpreted.
    well said. there are many ethically and socially responsible ways to go about trying to change laws with which one disagrees without, in the meantime, stirring the post of social discord. thanks.

actually, while found in the bible, my quote originates in the jewish scriptures. here are a few more in the same vein:

i have not brought misery upon my fellows. —ancient egyptian

who meditates oppression, his dwelling is overturned —babylonian

utter not a word by which anyone could be wounded. —hindu

brothers shall fight and be each others, bane. —old norse

the union and fellowship of men will be best preserved if each receives from us the more kindness in proportion as he is more closely connected with us. —roman

well said. there are many ethically and socially responsible ways to go about trying to change laws with which one disagrees without, in the meantime, stirring the post of social discord. thanks.

actually, while found in the bible, my quote originates in the jewish scriptures. here are a few more in the same vein:

i have not brought misery upon my fellows. —ancient egyptian

who meditates oppression, his dwelling is overturned —babylonian

utter not a word by which anyone could be wounded. —hindu

brothers shall fight and be each others, bane. —old norse

the union and fellowship of men will be best preserved if each receives from us the more kindness in proportion as he is more closely connected with us. —roman
    Really? I guess I thought this was a forum for people to post information, debate and/or voice their frustrations with fish & wildlife management decisions.

I guess we're only supposed to be discussing our wishes for social harmony. But this isn't the Far East; its America. Individual rights, not social harmony, are what we hold most sacred. So quit harping on people because they're angry about decisions the government has made that are an afront to those rights!

On that note: regardless of what anyone says on here, I wouldn't feel too much "social harmony" if I were to see someone "subsistence dipnetting" below the R. River falls who is living in some dreamy cabin next to the Kenai River in Cooper Landing.

I find this slightly ironic, there used to be a user (marcus) who frequented these forums who posted a couple threads about guide numbers and did it just to put out the information. I will see if I can find a link, just for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...I wasn't accusing him of anything. I was asking if he had something else to say about it. I respect the guy's knowledge and opinion, even if I disagree with him once in a while. Nothing else intended other than to ask if he had thoughts to share.
    Sorry Brain, I took your post out of context. I know doc takes a lot of heat from his opinions by many board members and I thought that you may be trying to get him started.

Default Here's Week 4....

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Just FYI for those who might be interested... just sharing the data as it unfolds. I'm not aware that it is hosted anywhere else on the web.

A total of 104 individuals have been issued subsistence permits through 10 July. Permits have been issued to 68 Cooper Landing residents, 9 Hope residents, and 27 Ninilchik residents. Permits issued for the Kenai and Kasilof rivers are as follows:

97 Kenai River salmon permits
    19 Kenai River resident species permits
    20 Kasilof River salmon permits
    5 Kasilof River resident species permits

A total of 746 and 13 sockeye salmon have been harvested in the dip net fisheries at the Russian River Falls and upper Kasilof River, respectively. No harvest has been reported from other dip net fishing locations. The number of sockeye salmon available at the Russian River Falls dip net fishery has dropped considerably in the past week as early-run fish move upstream to spawning destinations. Fishing should pick back up later this month as late-run fish move into the area. Estimated numbers of late-run Chinook and sockeye salmon returning to the Kenai River are currently low but are expected to increase over the next week.
    The KeenEye MD