Thread: A new Wildcat-44 Alaskan

Default A new Wildcat-44 Alaskan

I am not a complete gun loony in that I don't have the dedicated shop and have to go over to my dad's house to reload.(my dies and press are over there).

I have been thinking about working on a wildcat but it might not be possible outside of making it in an encore or something like that.

There used to be a 357 Bain and Davis which was a 44 Rem Mag necked down to a 357 caliber.

I have been thinking about what would happen if you necked a 500 S&W Mag to 423 caliber(44 rem mag) instead of 45 caliber(460 S&W).
    I would call it a 44 Alaskan Mag. I figure it might have ballistics necessary with Hornady Rubber Bumper bullets to go 300 yards for sheep.

I would probably have to have a custom encore barrel made but I think it would be an interesting cartridge. It would be an interesting caliber for a side arm.

It might suffer from overbore problems and pressure difficulties.
    I am just musing today that it would be a fun cartridge.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas

Default 44 Alaskan

Sounds like an interesting project, but many necked-down cartridges for revolvers have inherent problems with set-back in the chamber, such as the .22 Remington Jet in the Smith & Wesson and also the .357 Bain and Davis, which they compensated for with plastic rings around the smaller diameter neck to replicate a straight walled case. But, it sounds like it would be fun to experiment with. Good luck

Default I would go the opposite direction

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I am not a complete gun loony in that I don't have the dedicated shop and have to go over to my dad's house to reload.(my dies and press are over there).

I have been thinking about working on a wildcat but it might not be possible outside of making it in an encore or something like that.

There used to be a 357 Bain and Davis which was a 44 Rem Mag necked down to a 357 caliber.

I have been thinking about what would happen if you necked a 500 S&W Mag to 423 caliber(44 rem mag) instead of 45 caliber(460 S&W).
    I would call it a 44 Alaskan Mag. I figure it might have ballistics necessary with Hornady Rubber Bumper bullets to go 300 yards for sheep.

I would probably have to have a custom encore barrel made but I think it would be an interesting cartridge. It would be an interesting caliber for a side arm.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas
    I think someone should create a cartridge 1/10 inch longer than the 500 Simith. Call it the 500 Bill (after Bill Ruger). Then maybe, just maybe, Ruger might create an extended-frame Super Redhawk for it.

And if Ruger would thread the front of the frame so interchangeable barrels (as in Dan Wesson) of different lengths with and without compensation could be used. I would buy one. You would not need two, because a pack of 3.5", 5.5", 7.5" and 9.5" barrels would come standard, right?

Just dreamin' the Friday afternoon away.

Lost Sheep.

Default Don't Call Your Reamer Guy Yet-

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas
    Inventing new calibers is challenging in that you may just duplicate others work or just duplicate ballistics.

Sounds like an hour or two of case water capacity comparisons are in order, I'm guessing a WSM case opened to .43 might be a close match and I'm betting J.D. has been down that road and may well have already tinkered with the .500

When one sizes in a neck long enough to secure the bullet we have to add a shoulder, right?

A longtime ago I 22ed a 10mm Magnum case, great little vermin buster but never found a platform I liked (ruined a so called unbreakable USP by making it a 10mm), anywho.

My next wildcat was a blown out 7.62x39 to that self same .44 in honor of Jeff Coopers "Thumper", first one was on a Ruger Mini-14....wrong, they break!
    The AK kicks butt BUT, you know who wouldn't be caught dead with Chi-Com....ah well!

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas
    Interesting line of thinking, but I wouldn't get your heart set on that 300 yard sheep, even with a pointy bullet. By the time you add a shoulder and neck to a 500 case, there's going to be lots less powder capacity than you think. Still might be a useful round with long sheep off the menu.

On the plus side, it's going to let you shoot "cheap" .429 pistol bullets for general hellraising and hunting, where a .458 wouldn't. If it has noticeably more powder capacity than a 444 Marlin, they you have room for some powder and velocity gains with heavier bullets especially.

I've got a wildcat .429 based on a blown out and necked down 45-70 and it does all that in a Marlin 1895. I can mush a 300 grain jacketed bullet along comfortably to 2200-2250 fps, but I'm not likely to push it much further, though I recognize others are willing to push the 1895 and that parent case hotter than I am willing. I'd be very, very surprised if your 429-500 would let you do much more than that either due to case capacity limits. And 2200 fps does not make a 300 yard sheep rifle, even with pointy bullets.

Now if you want to make life interesting, I'm betting a .348 Winnie case necked up and with most of the taper removed would come a lot closer to producing the flat trajectory you envision with a 300 grain .429 in an Encore.

It all gets down to finding a case large enough for the right powders to do the job within acceptable pressures.