Thread: Hunting Kodiak Bears-Fall Season

Question Hunting Kodiak Bears-Fall Season

What 15 day period would you recommend for hunting Kodiak Brown bears in the fall in the SW corner of the Island (Deadman Bay, Olga Bay, Frazer Lake, Dog Salmon River Areas)?

Thanx for the info.

Default Do some research

I would recommend going to the harvest section of the F&G site and research the data you are looking for. You can querie the data by the hunt number and it will give you the date of kill, skull size...etc. Talk to the Larry (F&G biologist) in Kodiak and he can tell you that the highest % of bears are killed in the 1st two weeks of the fall season and the last two weeks of the spring season. Good Luck.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...harvest.lookup

THE FIRST 15 DAYS!!!
    wantj might be able to add to this since he wasn't far from there, but in my experience with kodiak, after the first week or so of season, fish are slowing alot and bears are moving up and around more, sleeping more and moving less, spending less time on the streams, but they do get more beach bears down that way than i do up north.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    THE FIRST 15 DAYS!!!
    wantj might be able to add to this since he wasn't far from there, but in my experience with kodiak, after the first week or so of season, fish are slowing alot and bears are moving up and around more, sleeping more and moving less, spending less time on the streams, but they do get more beach bears down that way than i do up north.
    Agree about the first fifteen days. Losing light, weather tends to get worse and in general fewer fish (if there were any to start with). Later usually colder and greater chance of snow. But snow not all bad if snow shoes are available (neoprene - NEVER babiche). Snow makes for pretty nice hunting while it lasts.
    That later hunting can be pretty nice - but usually few bears.
    Joe (Ak)