Thread: Looking at sonar counts thus far.....

Default Looking at sonar counts thus far.....

this could be a sobering year for fishermen in Southcentral. Even the Kenai early king run appears to be petering out. I sure hope things get better in the later runs.

Default something to think about

I found myself dwelling on how poor the runs are so far. Then I was listening to the news this morning: major floods in the midwest, 120 degrees in the west, and pictures of traffic jams on 20-lane highways in the east. About then I realized I'm pretty lucky that I'm in AK and my biggest concern is how many wild salmon (that people pay $20/plate for elsehwhere) I'm gonna catch this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Even the Kenai early king run appears to be petering out.
    True dat!

The past four days counts in the 200-300 range have slowed the pace of the run considerably... the June 30 projection is now down to a little over 16.9K.

Excellent fishing from the week before really helped with the rod hours... on average about 16 rod-hrs per fish caught.... but that has really changed the past few days with diminshed fish passage and reduced viz. YTD retention rate is at 69%... in other words the wood shampoo is being applied to 7 out of every 10 fish caught . Estimated exploitation (less release mortalities) is hovering right about 15%.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

A steady string of sub-par daily counts has considerably diminished the run-size projection. It's now down to only 15.3K and falling.... with only 5 more days of counts apportioned to the early run.

Sure hope the upcoming late run performs a little better.

My four week countdown has begun... can't wait to finally get a line wet in the river.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I'm new to Alaska and was'nt aware there would be later king runs. When do they typically occur? My son and I caught two kings at the tailrace last weekend, but put in a lot of hours to get them, sure was fun to see my 9 year old boy land them though.
    Paul

Tomcat,

Second run is only on the Kenai. When the run peters out up here it's over. Time to hit reds, silvers and pinks.

Chumstik,
    How blessed you are!!! I was born in AK and an army career has taken me far from home. I was in Philadelphia and noticed wild Alaska King Salmon going for $24.99 a pound. When you live in the lower 48 and want Salmon, nothing other than wild AK meat is acceptable. I don't cry as much over the high gas prices and I do the salmon prices. 18 days and counting till I'm back on the Kenai !!!

FISH ON !!!!

Default Ah $29/lb in san antonio, texas (at the grocery) and going up

I still have alot of fish left from last summer because my 3 nephews didnt take much home (their families don't eat alot of fish). I would be crying in my beer by now if I had the usual small ice chest of fillets in my freezer. Actually my freezer would be empty by now. So say an extra prayer (church, river bank) to the fishing gods because you are in paradise my friends and many of us are jealous (even those of us lucky enough to join you every few years)!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    I found myself dwelling on how poor the runs are so far. Then I was listening to the news this morning: major floods in the midwest, 120 degrees in the west, and pictures of traffic jams on 20-lane highways in the east. About then I realized I'm pretty lucky that I'm in AK and my biggest concern is how many wild salmon (that people pay $20/plate for elsehwhere) I'm gonna catch this weekend
    Last week i was sitting in a boat on the Kenai, back-trolling for kings. It was cool, windy and rainy. I looked at my bud and said "I'll bet there are 10 million guys that would give anything to trade places with us right now". He said "yup".
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.