Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old School Sheep Display

Default Old School Sheep Display

I saw this set of horns at the fur auction and had to have them, After paying an arm and leg I was the proud owner. Now what to do, have them carved, hate to ruin a set. So I saw this done to a dessert sheep and thought that it looked nice. So I bought a skull on ebay and mounted the horns to it. I whitened the skull first, then used bondo to hold them in place. I begged all the taxidermist I have on payroll for their sheep scraps and was able to sew together what looks like a rolled cape. Add the old Trapper Nelson pack and you have it the way the old timers did it.

Steve

Smile Wow!

Now that, is a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing it with us. I do not remember what happened to my Dad's old Trapper Nelson packs, wish I had them hanging around.

Default Sheep display

That's pretty cool. May have to steal that idea from you someday. My wife is starting to think the house has reached maximum carrying capacity with all the horns laying around. May be able to slip in a few more if I can come up with more creative ways to display them.

I've also kicked around the idea of someday doing a retro sheep hunt. Blue jeans, flannel shirt, bedroll, pack board, etc. Guys did it all the time back in the day. Anyway thanks for sharing that pic with us.

Steve:

If you wish to provide the info I have to ask, what's an arm and leg worth today?

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I saw this set of horns at the fur auction and had to have them, After paying an arm and leg I was the proud owner. Now what to do, have them carved, hate to ruin a set. So I saw this done to a dessert sheep and thought that it looked nice. So I bought a skull on ebay and mounted the horns to it. I whitened the skull first, then used bondo to hold them in place. I begged all the taxidermist I have on payroll for their sheep scraps and was able to sew together what looks like a rolled cape. Add the old Trapper Nelson pack and you have it the way the old timers did it.

Steve

Looks great Steve! I have done this to a brown bear as well as a black bear for a couple of people that wanted something different. I will be doig it to a grizz (buffalo bear) I got a couple of seasons ago. Those Trapper Nelson packs are hard to come by these days. I snatch up each one that I can find.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Classy

That's a great idea... unique, and a great testament to the past.

The twisters cost me $600 green backs and I would have went higher.

Steve

Thanks

kingfisherktn

Steve, that is just absolutely fantastic. What a nice set of horns huh?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thats why we climb those mountains. Like Cracker-Jacks only the prize is at the top. Grin

Steve

I Like them just the way they are, pretty cool

I think it is very creative way to display a wonderful set of horns. Beautiful. J.

Steve you did an outstanding job with those. I am sure they will fit right in your home without any problems. Thanks for sharing your ideas with the rest of us that are not as creative!

Thanks for the replies. Here is where they live for now.

Steve

You have done a good job - very attractive. Joe Want has a picture of himself from maybe about '72, or there abouts I think, on the Sheenjek, packing a set of horns out on an old pack board similar to that. He occasionally frequents this forum - maybe if he reads this he will post the image. Do you know for a fact that those are Dall's sheep horns - the computer image has an uncanny resemblance to a set of horns from a young argali ram.

They are Dall sheep, came from the fin and feathers auction. You know they are when you see and feel them.
    I had the honor of attending one of Mr. Want's bear classes, would love to see the photo.
    Steve

What'd those horns measure to?

Default Length?

That last picture you posted really gave a different perspective that made those horns look a lot longer than they looked in the first pictures. Doesn't look like they come back around to the eyes, but they seem to carry back and down a lot.

How old was he? I think I can make out that he'd run 9-10 yrs old.

Regardless, a great job. You should be proud of your work!

Mike

Left is 37 x 12 and the right is 371/4 x 12. Here is a side view full cull and a little bit I would age him between 9 and 10 as well. Good Eye.
    Not huge , but respectable. Let me see one like that on Aug 10th and I will have a new set of horns for my Trapper Nelson.

Steve

A guy could get carried away with that idea, ya know? Bear head on a pack, goat head, maybe a bou. Quite possibly could have a head of each game species on a pack like that around your whole trophy room.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast