Thread: Baiting question of the day....

Default Baiting question of the day....

First, I am bating in what has becom a heavely trafficed and baited area (4 baits in 2 mile area). I have had 3 or 4 different bears come into the bait(caught on camera) however they dont stay and eat, they sniff around and for 10 -15 minutes and move on. I am trying to remain patient as this will likely be my last black bear hunting opertunity for several years( DA ARMY). My questions?

Should I consider changing my dog food? It has been out since mid may but there are no signs of worms or rot

Do you think the bears are full from other baits and are just trolling the other baits were they may not feel aas safe do to heavy traffic?

I havent seen anything that leads me to belive that anyone has tampered with my bait.

I am sure I have answered some of my own questions, time is runnning out and I want bears to eat at my bait like they are at the golden corral.

You say you have other hunters close. So you have to make your bait the best in the area. Try something sweet, sweet feed works good and pour on the sweet stuff. Also try a good call bait or scent lure. PM me if you want to chat.

Steve

Default I have....

a good lure and call baits, they are coming in, just not eating. I have anise bags hanging. I have done 5 or so good honey burns.

I just cant get them to tear my barrell up and eat, they dance around it like an anarexic at a buffet

Sounds like they have been hunted hard. In other words its not their first rodeo. LOL

Steve

Default thanks...

I guess I will justs be cautious getting in and out and buy more dougnuts to tyr and keep them there.

Default Bread

Buy some day old bread from a local store... or go to the bakery and get the stuff they are going to throw out.
    Bread has a strong scent (yeast and sometimes sweet). Might help entice them to eat.

I'd agree you have some bears that have been around the block, and they need some encouragement.

Throw some sweet syrup, jelly, molasses or the like on the bread too.

Good luck! Hope you get a couple!

Default Try this

Buddy and I carried in a papersack full of fresh popcorn and bread dumped it out and then covered it with Butter milk Syrup. We had a big boy come 30mins later and lay down in front the barrel and start licking the stuff up.
    Only down side is you are going to want some popcorn when you get a wiff of it every once in a while when the wind shiffs.
    Try burning some fudge with honey.

Not sure if your bait is still out but, I usually use sweet stuff. I will cover my dog food in some sort of berry syrup and then put powdered sugar and koolade all over the outside of my barrel. Throw out some doghnuts and muffins or something like that. Go buy the reduced brownie mix or cupcake mix and make them for the bait. Not that I am an expert, but from my experience when you use rotten bait it will bring griz. Blackies have a sweet tooth. This year we shot our first bear on a bait kinda like yours. Quite a few other baits around. They will hit what they like best just like you at the buffet. Good luck!