Thread: Getting Sick while Sheep Hunting

Default Getting Sick while Sheep Hunting

Sheephunters, this has been lurking behind my mind, and it would be just my luck to get real sick while I'm sheep hunting, but aside from taking the usual tylenol or aspirin, do you guys take any super anti-biotics with you just incase?? hate to scratch a hunt over a flu or something more severe.

Default 1st Aid

For both my personal and professional backpack hunts....
    For minor stuff I carry only a tiny first aid kit and some duct tape.
    For anything major I now have a Iridium satellite phone.

On my guided float hunts I have a substantial first aid kit, classroom training equivalent to that of a ski patroller....but, frankly, only limited field experiences.

?What type of field emergencies have you experienced?...topic for a new thread...

Dennis
    AKTAGS

Default may be common sense but...

I always try to take multivitamins with just to keep up the immune system while out.

Also, I like to bring Emergen-C packets to put in the water bottles. They come in some decent flavors and help bump ya up.

Default Anti Diarrhea Tablets!

I learned how important Anti Diarrhea tablets could be on a sheep hunt a couple years ago when I did not bring any. I was 15 miles in on a solo trip and the day after I got my sheep the weather went to **** and so did I. I had a severe case of diarrhea were every 30-45 minutes I was letting it fly. So between trying to keep my tent secure in the 30+ MPH wind and rain, fleshing the sheep cape, and running out of TP it was definitely a character building experience. This lasted about a 1.5 days and was a tuff lesson learned.

Default Getting Sick

I am prone to occasional kidney stones, so my biggest fear is that I'll get one lodged in the pipes while out on a hunt. It hasn't happened yet, knock on wood. In case though, I carry some prescription painkillers and some meds called flow-max. I think the flo-Max is for prostate problems, but it also "opens" things up so I could pass a stone easier if I had one. Important to stay well hydrated too.

I've never been ill on a sheep hunt, I think if you are healthy going in, there's not a lot of risk to catch something because of the limited exposure to people and germs. Could happen though, a couple pepto pills probably isn't a bad idea.

Default surely some

rolaids or tums and some athletic tape. Usually have a bottle of advil along. I am throwing in a bottle of super glue now as you can super glue cuts shut pretty good. Then what AkTrue said, iridium sat phone for if something crazy happened.

I had "walking" pnuemonia on my moose trip in '06. I knew I was sick before I flew in, but I had an out of state friend on his first moose hunt so I couldn't beg off. What a mistake. We got his moose and thank god it was only 600' from camp. After that I had no interest in anything other than sleeping. The problem is most viral infections really can't be treated by anything other than rest and lots of liquids. There is very little that anti-biotics can help in getting rid of a sickness, but they are great to stave off infections. I carry Tums, some anti-diarhea meds, Tylenol, and Advil. That's about it.

Default Some useful info

Here is a link to a posting I made under the under the Outdoor Gear section awhile back when the discussion was in reference to water purification/filters:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&postcount=26

Might be of some use to you--I have the same concerns when hunting because I solo hunt a lot.

I would suggest careful thought go into any pharmaceuticals that one might take on a hunt other than over the counter medications and preferably not take anything that has not been taken by that same person previously.....Murphy's Law!

Used to spend the winter out solo. Trapping. Doctor recommended tylenol with codeine as emergency pain killer. Sheep hunting would seem a likely place to get a serious injury needing pain killers.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I bring ibuprofin, benadryl (bee stings, other allergic reactions), perscription antibiotics and a strong pain killer. These items weigh very little and could save your life.
    Alpine

Default Burn Cream

I was on a fishing trip near Delta a few years back when some A hole threw a bottle of gas/oil mix on the fire. Well when he threw it it tipped and ignited, exploding all over me . I got 1st and 2nd degree burns on my face, inner thigh and both hands (the most painlful experience of my life). The hands were the worst with skin hanging off of them. The first aid kit my friend had only had small packets of burn cream, definitely not enough to cover my hands. Now i always take burn cream in a small Ziplock bag. Doesnt add much weight but it's a piece of mind for me.

I think this would be a good thing to take with you:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+kit&noImage=0

I take regular sutures that I bought at GI joe's, but that would be a lot easier to use. Being outside you should easily find a stick to bite down on too.

As for prescription meds, you could probably get an MD to give you a Z pack antibiotic regement for illness, it may work it may not depending on what your ailment is. Other than that, I never leave the house without plenty of immodium, it adds almost no weight, but can be worth 10 times it's weight in gold when you really need it.

(What shphtr said is excellent advise too, you would never want to take a medicine that you have never had out in the backcountry. An allergic reaction out in the woods could easily be a life ending occurance.)

Default be normal

try to keep your diet, sleep patterns, and exercise level the same as if you are at home. that is why being and staying in shape is so important. live everyday possible like you are on a sheep hunt and your chances of getting sick or hurt greatly decrease.

Default Antibiotics

Yeah , I was thinking about taking a Z-Pak (Zithromax) with me , Its real light only has five pills and kills infection within a day...Good stuff.

Default Meds

I just got back from a hunt in Africa. I carried immodium and had a prescription for Zifaxan if the immodium wasn't enough. Fortunately I didn't need either. However dehydration can be a real problem.

I also believe that meds should be tried at home before used in the field - just to make sure.

Default tailored 1st aid kit

kahahawai, there are so many things you can bring. the more you get comfortable with taking, the more you want to bring those things. before you know it, you can have a heavy aid kit that is too heavy to sheep hunt. i would focus on what your top concerns are with illness or injury and cover those. as an aside, i'm surprised by some things others bring. some of the antibiotics recommended are only good or a few things and are poor choices for other infections. if there was really one good catch all antibiotic, there wouldn't be all those others. there can also be some problems with antidiarrheal medicine. there's a reason your body wants it out of you. stopping it up and keeping bacteria or giardia inside can lead to worse problems. best treatment is to stay hydrated as you lose that fluid. asrjb... great idea for the staple set! mt...pain killers are a huge help in every real situation, but i'd also add a caution to try and get help from someone if taking a narcotic and not trying to rescue yourself. foggy heads and climbing down mountains alone could make a situation worse.
    i take 800mg motrin, bandaids, 30mgsudafed, tape. i purify my water, eat, brush my teeth and wash my hands. i'm not as careful as i wish.

Smile

I think my life is guided by murphys law also. I went caribou hunting with a bad cold. I had a fever and it was a walk in hunt. I took it easy and didnt do my usual running around. I was glad I went, but I wouldnt have been much help packing out (we didnt get one.) I flew in on a caribou hunt with a fractured shoulder. I shot my bou leaning the rifle on the pack using my good arm. It worked fine and I packed it out. I dont know what it would take for me to miss a hunt, but it hasnt happened yet. My worst nightmare is a broken leg....how many trails are passible for a wheelchair? I dont know but I would give it a shot...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear