Thread: Hope Pinks

Default Hope Pinks

Don't Pinks usually show up in Hope around the 4th of July or is it sooner?

The 4th is pretty early for pinks. You might find a few early fish, but Hope doesn't really get rockin' until the 2nd or 3rd week of July.

This use to be the best kept secret.. Now they have a tourny there it gets crowded at times.

Mid July you will start to see them there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Took my kids there last year and had large groups of people trying to force us out of our fishing spot. One angler in waders walked right out in front of my 4 year old daughter and she could no longer cast. Get there early in the morning. We were alone until 10 AM when the hordes showed up. Could only fish till 11 AM before I gave up due to crowding. This was up the stream a ways too. Worse down by the bridge. This was on a Friday too.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Took my kids there last year and had large groups of people trying to force us out of our fishing spot. One angler in waders walked right out in front of my 4 year old daughter and she could no longer cast. Get there early in the morning. We were alone until 10 AM when the hordes showed up. Could only fish till 11 AM before I gave up due to crowding. This was up the stream a ways too. Worse down by the bridge. This was on a Friday too.

This use to be the best place to take kids salmon fishing with out what you described. I remember going there and maybe seeing 2-3 people.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Rediculous

A full grown man walked in front of a 4 year old child to steal her fishing spot? There's a special place in hell for guys like that.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Right there

see - now that is the kind of fella that needs a butt kickin - takin a kids fishing spot - Why I never!

I guess its one thing when folks are going nuts and behaving badly when on a quest to land a king. But wading in front of a 4-yr-old girl to fish for PINKS?!?! That's really reaching a new low ...

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    There's a special place in hell for guys like that.
    One can only hope........................

Default Try Valdez

If you're looking for a family-friendly atmosphere and fishing is on the agenda, you ought to check out Valdez. Took my daughters there last 4th of July and they each caught their first salmon, plus there is enough room to spread out and get away from the crowds. Run timing varies a little from year to year, but early July is about prime for pinks.

Default valdez

Is it pretty easy to figure out? Can I fly over and tie my airplane down at the airport and walk my 2 small kids to a fishing spot or is it harder than that? I have a couple little ones and combat fishing really doesn't fit the bill.

Default Ak-hunt

It's easy enough to figure out and there are plenty of places to fish. You'll need to follow the tides to some degree, but most people head out to Allison (sp?) point (near the Alyeska terminal), and the pinks can be caught anywhere along the shoreline inland to the hatchery. There are a few bare-necessities spots to camp over there, but we usually camp in town as those campgrounds have amenities. As for flying over, the airport is located quite some distance from the water (as well as the town), so I'm afraid you'll need a set of wheels once you get on the ground.

Smile Vertigo is right....

But a cab ride to Allison point would be worth it. I took my kids over there and the pinks were so thick that one jumped over the gunwales of my riverboat and several more bumped the sides.
    Over at Hope I had a lot better luck putting the kids on my shoulders and then wading to the other side. Then we walked down to the tidal pools and they caught pinks unmolested by "outsiders."

Default If that ever happens again...

... rummage in your tackle box until you find a weighted snagging hook, cut off the trebbles, then allow your daughter to bounce the tackle off the interloper's head.

Last weekend I fished the Anchor River lagoon. Some others and I were floating bobbers out a short distance, and along comes an inflatable cruising down the river close to shore, running right over people's gear. Almost de-spooled my spinning reel before I was able to get out my pocket knife and cut loose. Lost many yards of line, hook, bobber, and weight, etc. Not sure about the others. When I yelled, the guy in the boat looked back briefly, then kept running over people's lines. NO FISHING ETIQUETTE. Where do such people come from?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... rummage in your tackle box until you find a weighted snagging hook, cut off the trebbles, then allow your daughter to bounce the tackle off the interloper's head.

Last weekend I fished the Anchor River lagoon. Some others and I were floating bobbers out a short distance, and along comes an inflatable cruising down the river close to shore, running right over people's gear. Almost de-spooled my spinning reel before I was able to get out my pocket knife and cut loose. Lost many yards of line, hook, bobber, and weight, etc. Not sure about the others. When I yelled, the guy in the boat looked back briefly, then kept running over people's lines. NO FISHING ETIQUETTE. Where do such people come from?
    Was the raft a fisherman or just someone rafting?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    I guess its one thing when folks are going nuts and behaving badly when on a quest to land a king. But wading in front of a 4-yr-old girl to fish for PINKS?!?! That's really reaching a new low ...
    Sounds like that guy was trained to fish at tourist training fishing hole at the Russian River
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan