Thread: Why not more caliber choices in auto/pump?

Default Why not more caliber choices in auto/pump?

I for one,wish that one of the big gun makers would add a few somewhat lighter calibers to their lineup in auto and/or pump rifles. Rifles like the Remington autoloaders and Browning Bars typically come in calibers like .308,30-06,.270 etc.,which are all great calibers....but why not a .35 Rem? Or a 300 Savage? Or....you fill in the blank. Don't get me wrong--I'm a big fan of the .308 (probably my favorite "modern day" cartridge) and 30-06....I've taken lots of game with both-- including my biggest black bear with the '06. But it would be great to have a NEW .35 Rem autoloder to hunt the woods with,especially in the lower 48. Less recoil,plenty of power...what more could one ask for? It would surely have a niche among gun buyers. I know that Ruger has it's 44 Mag autoloader,assuming it's still in production--but in handling it,I did not care for the stock dimensions. I prefer plenty of drop in the stock for use with open sights. And of course,the classic comb stock design(no Monte Carlo hump). And of course,Marlin puts out 35s,30-30s,444s,etc, in lever action. But why not a pump--like the old Remington Model 141...or how about a Browning lightweight auto? Maybe I'm old fashioned at 42...but maybe,just maybe some gun company exec. is reading this...the classics never go out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    I for one,wish that one of the big gun makers would add a few somewhat lighter calibers to their lineup in auto and/or pump rifles. Rifles like the Remington autoloaders and Browning Bars typically come in calibers like .308,30-06,.270 etc.,which are all great calibers....but why not a .35 Rem? Or a 300 Savage? Or....you fill in the blank. Don't get me wrong--I'm a big fan of the .308 (probably my favorite "modern day" cartridge) and 30-06....I've taken lots of game with both-- including my biggest black bear with the '06. But it would be great to have a NEW .35 Rem autoloder to hunt the woods with,especially in the lower 48. Less recoil,plenty of power...what more could one ask for? It would surely have a niche among gun buyers. I know that Ruger has it's 44 Mag autoloader,assuming it's still in production--but in handling it,I did not care for the stock dimensions. I prefer plenty of drop in the stock for use with open sights. And of course,the classic comb stock design(no Monte Carlo hump). And of course,Marlin puts out 35s,30-30s,444s,etc, in lever action. But why not a pump--like the old Remington Model 141...or how about a Browning lightweight auto? Maybe I'm old fashioned at 42...but maybe,just maybe some gun company exec. is reading this...the classics never go out of style.
    It's a matter of sales, demand. It cost a whale of a lot of money to tool up for a limited demand market. Little assurance of a return of profit is the big reason.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default The cartridges you mention...

HAVE been available in Remington, Browning, Savage, and other mfg's pumps and autos. Better cartridges were introduced, and the earlier chamberings went away. They can be found, mostly on the internet auction sites. Bring $$$$.

I agree on the sales. Kinda like the reason there aren't more calibers in left handed bolts. Long as you want a 270, 7 mag, 30-06, or 300 mag you have lots to choose from. After that you better be ready to rebarrel.

Over time there have been a few others here and there. I've got pumps in 257 Roberts, 243, 280 Remington and 300 Savage. Nope, not for sale. For a while Savage was pretty good about offering extra calibers in the 99, but over the years the line dwindled and finally went away. There's strong collector demand for 99's now that the model is gone, especially in less common calibers, and Savage could sell a ton of them for a few weeks after release. But then sales would fall off again once they became common. Nope, my 284, 7mm08 and 358 aren't for sale either.

I figure when Remington finally drops their pump and semiauto, the interest will soar along with price and demand. Of course, they'll all go into collections and no one will get to shoot them.

That's where I get pretty huffy. I shoot mine and hunt with them. I figure it dishonors a good hunting gun to turn it over to a rich collector who's only interested in bragging about them rather than shooting them.

Bottom line, you have to search around and probably pay a premium if you want something that's not standard today. Or you have to rebarrel. Or jump on anything new when it comes along, cuzz it's not going to be around long. Like my Marlin 1894 in 25-20 and my last year of production Winchester 94 in 25-35. Those too were around briefly too, then disappear. You can just about buy and rebarrel a standard version for what an original will cost you.

Default why not more calibers in autos/pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    HAVE been available in Remington, Browning, Savage, and other mfg's pumps and autos. Better cartridges were introduced, and the earlier chamberings went away. They can be found, mostly on the internet auction sites. Bring $$$$.
    Of course they were available--mostly back before I was born! As far as "better" cartridges--the 35 Rem is about ideal for woods hunting for deer and bear. Yes,you can shoot whitetails at 40 or 50 yards with an '06-- I've done it myself.But it's more gun than you really need for those situations. Also,the .243 is often recommended for young hunters and spouses,due to it's lower recoil--but if we're making a drive and a big bear comes out at 50 yards--or a big buck for that matter,I'd take a 35 Rem over the .243 any day of the week. Of course the '06 or .308 etc would work--but deer and bear shot with a 35 Rem,300 Savage,30/40...will all hit the ground just as dead. I'm not certain about the sales either.Look how long it took Ford to come back with the classic style,retro Mustangs....sales have not been a problem. And have you turned on the radio lately? Most stations are playing some kind of "*rap" ...so the kids listen to it,not so much because it's the best music--but that's all they're fed. Now, I know that cars and music are not guns,and guns are not cars and music--but perhaps such guns would have strong enough sales to warrant production. Of course it wouldn't sell like the 30-06,270,etc...but perhaps it would have it's own niche. I'd buy some As for now,I do most of my hunting with an old model 8 Remington--and occasionally with my original Model 1894 in 38-55. Thanks to everyone for your replies...happy hunting!