Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you still cure 2 week old eggs?

Default Can you still cure 2 week old eggs?

Hey guys,

Ive got these eggs from a King from the homer spit carcass garbage.

Some people just toss them out. They were right out of the females belly but that was 2 weeks ago. I left them in my fridge.

They look fine, but can I still cure them?

If so, should I mix them with the eggs I got from my Reds yesterday? Or keep them separate?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default garbage in = garbage out

Save your cure for a fresh batch of eggs.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I got a batch of eggs from the Red yesterday. Are those just as good as King eggs? Seems like all those store bought ones are Kings eggs. Or at least they are bigger than these sockeye eggs.

Default will work

Your red eggs will work fine - most people prefer the king eggs - but a fresh cure might work better than a store bought cured egg.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hey guys,

Ive got these eggs from a King from the homer spit carcass garbage.

Some people just toss them out. They were right out of the females belly but that was 2 weeks ago. I left them in my fridge.

They look fine, but can I still cure them?

If so, should I mix them with the eggs I got from my Reds yesterday? Or keep them separate?

The answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    The answer is yes.
    Yes from you. No from the Doc.

I have to go with the Doc if its only a 50/50.

Default I have

cured, eggs that have been froxzen fora couple months and still caught fish on them
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Give them to me - as I will cure them and I will catch fish on them as I am running low. Are fresh ones better? Well, duh..... But, you go with the DOC since you have so much to lose by curing them

Give them to me - as I will cure them and I will catch fish on them as I am running low. Are fresh ones better? Well, duh..... But, you go with the DOC since you have so much to lose by curing them
    1435 Denali st.
    You can pick them up anytime you want. Let me know if you really want them. If not, I need room in the fridge.

1435 Denali st.
    You can pick them up anytime you want. Let me know if you really want them. If not, I need room in the fridge.
    That sounds like Anchorage and I live just outside Wasilla. I do appreciate it though as I really could use them when they lift the egg restriction on the Little Su during the silver season (we are having one right?) as they are a hot ticket no matter if they are a little old or fresh out of the fish. But, I can't see driving a 100 miles or so just for some eggs. I bet somebody in Anchorage jumps on these - especially all the guys fishing last year's eggs (you read it right, and that would be guys like me) that they cured and froze for this year's king season eggs thinking they would replace them with the kings they caught. It has been a tough season......

sodabiscuit12345, is the Skein still intact? If it is you should have no problem curing them and they will work fine, the skein will cure and hold together. If they are single eggs, I would forget it.

I mean really, your going to listen from a guy in WA? LOL J/K Doc

Im not sure what they are suppose to look like actually.

I know for sure they are darker than when I took them out the first day. They were pink and now they are red (ish).

I still have them in the fridge in case you wanted them T.R. so I guess there is no harm in curing them like you said.

Actually, I just did the red salmon eggs from yesterday and they are 'drying' out right now. Might as well do the King ones now. Its kind of an interesting process to be honest.

Hey, at worst, if Ive got too much, Im sure someone next to me next time will appreciate some cured roe!

Actually forget what I said. I just opened the bag and it smelled BAD!! I mean, like 'dead animal' kind of bad. I dont know what else was in that zip lock but something is rotten in there for sure. I know I had used that zip lock bag for something else before, or maybe its just the eggs.

Well, at least Ive got some of the red eggs curing/drying up.

Thanks for the help again guys.

Default King or Red eggs?

I actually prefer the Red eggs as the size the skein seems to hold all the eggs together better for me!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Actually forget what I said. I just opened the bag and it smelled BAD!! I mean, like 'dead animal' kind of bad. I dont know what else was in that zip lock but something is rotten in there for sure. I know I had used that zip lock bag for something else before, or maybe its just the eggs.

Well, at least Ive got some of the red eggs curing/drying up.

Thanks for the help again guys.
    Jonathon

That there is the smell of rotting fish eggs, makes you want to barf EH!!

yea that's what I was going to say. If they are too far gone you will smell it.

Default Smell can help

I decided to fish roe at ship creek(as I screwed up my knee at work). I didn't have any roe cured so I went to the creek wednesday night. bummed a skein from a fellow and took it home. I like to cure and fish the same day so I stuck the eggs in the fridge. Wife found them and tossed them in the trash thinking they were old. I got home from work yesterday and discovered them in the trash so I pulled them out and boy were they ripe!!!! I decided to cure them anyway so 2 cups salt and a box of orange jello in the bag and off to the creek I went. They were in the bag about 2 1/2 hours then onto a rock in the sun about 1/2 hour then onto the hook-still smelling ripe. Ended up releasing 3 bucks and keeping a hen abour 28lbs dime bright. Gave some ripe eggs to the people next to me and they did just as well. 5 kings in about 2 hrs on the incoming that were kept. Only 2 others caught while I was there. 1 on store bought roe the other one a vibrax. So stinky eggs DO work.

That's gross Soda...

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I decided to fish roe at ship creek(as I screwed up my knee at work). I didn't have any roe cured so I went to the creek wednesday night. bummed a skein from a fellow and took it home. I like to cure and fish the same day so I stuck the eggs in the fridge. Wife found them and tossed them in the trash thinking they were old. I got home from work yesterday and discovered them in the trash so I pulled them out and boy were they ripe!!!! I decided to cure them anyway so 2 cups salt and a box of orange jello in the bag and off to the creek I went. They were in the bag about 2 1/2 hours then onto a rock in the sun about 1/2 hour then onto the hook-still smelling ripe. Ended up releasing 3 bucks and keeping a hen abour 28lbs dime bright. Gave some ripe eggs to the people next to me and they did just as well. 5 kings in about 2 hrs on the incoming that were kept. Only 2 others caught while I was there. 1 on store bought roe the other one a vibrax. So stinky eggs DO work.

I never said they didn't. As long as you can get past the gag factor if they are really ripe. Yuck!!!

That's gross Soda...
    I opened the zip lock next to my girlfriend and my first reaction was: "did you let one rip??"

She's like "What? That must be you!!"

Then I closed the bag and changed topics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast