Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sleeping bag... DOWN OR SYNTHETIC

Smile sleeping bag... DOWN OR SYNTHETIC

I just was wondering what the majority of you backpack hunters use, down or synthetic bags and what temp bags for August sheep hunt.

Thanks, Dan

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Synthetic and the temp depends on where I will be. I would choose a 20* wiggys bag for most fall hunting, but I have a 0* wiggys bag and an overbag that can get me down to -40*. So untill I poney up the $$ for a 20* bag the 0 gets the nod...

20 degree TNF (Orion I think) synthetic for me (use bivy sack to add warmth on cold nights since I have that with me anyway).

Default synthetic

I have a cat's meow and it is MORE than warm enough during Aug. Fact is, I have never had it zipped up. It is too warm for me, but there could be a time when it saves my life or someone else's. I was going to down size to something much smaller, but still haven't decided on that yet.

Default cats meow

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I have a cat's meow and it is MORE than warm enough during Aug. Fact is, I have never had it zipped up. It is too warm for me, but there could be a time when it saves my life or someone else's. I was going to down size to something much smaller, but still haven't decided on that yet.
    I have an older Cats Meow and a 10 degree down bag. I thought that I would use the down bag, but now I am reconsidering.

I use a 20 degree Wiggy's Ultralight for all my fall hunting in Alaska and have never been cold. If you get wet and need to get warm your better off in a synthetic bag, even though the Wiggy bags are a tad heavier than most, you'll find that their temp ratings are spot on or better than rated.

Default materials...

....go with synthetic. Stuff gets wet. And it will never dry out in September. Even on a hot Aug sheep hunt there could still be a cloud-burst, even a thundarstorm, so you can't just leave your wet sleeping bag out all day hoping it dries out.
    Get a synthetic bag,....down to 0% or (20% if only for Aug).
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default my cats meow is late 90's model

with the fleece lining. It is very warm. I have crawled into it soaking wet and almost hypothermic with wet socks, pants, etc. and woke up toasty warm and things dried out. I will end up buying a new one some day, but they don't make them the same as the old ones. First sheep hunt I ever went on was with a down bag and it rained for days and it was ALWAYS wet and cold. Could never dry it out. That was one of MANY lessons learned on my first sheep hunt. Could write a book about everything I did wrong on that hunt or better described as a debacle!

Synthetic for me. In my case a BigAgnes20* Encampent bag with their air-core pad.

Default down

I used a western mountaneering ultralite down bag with a montbell dry tec sleeping bag cover on my sheep hunt last year and it worked really well. It rained hard on us on the way in and the cover kept the bag dry. I also have the north face cats meow and like it a lot.

Default August sheep hunt bag

First choice will always be synthetic....end of story.

Default Well?

I must be the minority, but I prefer a down bag because it gives you more warmth per amount of fill and compresses to a much smaller size. That being said--if its gets wet you are in trouble as they do not dry well. I always keep mine in a waterproof compression sack and only open it inside of my tent where it is placed on a raised waterproof pad. To me they are warmer, more comfortable, and take up much less space. Something with a 10-20 degree rating would work great for most hunting. Just my thoughts.

I HATED my North Face Cats Meow. I was incredibly cold!
    I'll never go with this kind of sleeping bag again.

My husband and I have Wiggy's. http://www.wiggys.com/
    They unzip and zip together. I am sure that they are down, but I'll look into it. We really like them.... not to mention they are Colorado made. (Grand Junction) Another really good brand would be Big Agnes sleeping bags (Also Colorado made... Steamboat Springs).
    Lurker.

The only time I would even give a down bag a remote consideration is for extreme cold weather winter camping in the interior where temperatures are expected to drop down to -30F range.
    Otherwise, high quality syn material is my pick every time.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    The only time I would even give a down bag a remote consideration is for extreme cold weather winter camping in the interior where temperatures are expected to drop down to -30F range.
    Otherwise, high quality syn material is my pick every time.
    I had this argument with my self but realized I run sleds on rivers a good bit and I would hate to be stuck with nothing but a down bag to crawl into after a -30 dunking!

COtoAK your Wiggys bags are synthetic and filled with "Lamalite" which is their proprietary insulation.

Default Wiggy's

Love my Alaska Hunter 20 degree bag. Use it for almost everything, but extreme cold.

Terry

What does the 20* Wiggy's bag weight??
    DJ

Depends on size

The Ultra Light is a +20 degree F (approximately 0 degrees C) rated mummy style bag. It is available in four sizes; 31 inches wide in the torso and 80 inches long (regular regular) (weight is 3.25 lbs.), 34 inches wide and 80 (regular wide body)(weight is 3 _ lbs.) inches long, 31 inches wide and 90 inches long (long regular)(weight is 3 _ lbs) and 34 inches wide and 90 inches long (long wide body)(weight is 4 _ lbs.). COLORS: Royal Blue, Black, O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Love my Alaska Hunter 20 degree bag. Use it for almost everything, but extreme cold.

Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ HUNTN AK View Post
    What does the 20* Wiggy's bag weight??
    I personally haven't used our Wiggys in extreme cold yet. Not sure if my husband has. I am thinking most likely, but it's all that he has... and it's what he had before we got married, so I am sure of it that he's used it on his cold hunts.

It doesn't weight all that much. I'd say less than 1.5lbs. They are incredibly light. I might be off on that. I feels like it weighs less than our tent which is 3lbs.
    Lurker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast