Thread: Haul Road

Default Haul Road

Where approximately would the herd be at the first week of August?

Should be on the tundra still.

Typically between 30-40 miles south of Prudhoe to Pump 3 that time of year, but east to west is more the issue. Sometimes they'll hang over by the Kavik and Canning and many won't be seen by the road. When they do show up, they are moving and might not be around for long.

Anywhere from the Franklin Bluffs to Pump #3...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Last year

Last year they were 80 miles east of the Ice Cut.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default My experience...

Last year I was there from Aug 1-10 and there were more hunters than bou. I understand that's not typical but it's very possible. The trooper said they were about a hundred miles west of the Haul rd. When we did see bou, it was mostly one or two. The largest "herd" I saw was 4. It was a great time though, beautiful weather, a bit buggy, and I was fortunate enough to tag one. It's a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    Last year I was there from Aug 1-10 and there were more hunters than bou. I understand that's not typical but it's very possible. The trooper said they were about a hundred miles west of the Haul rd. When we did see bou, it was mostly one or two. The largest "herd" I saw was 4. It was a great time though, beautiful weather, a bit buggy, and I was fortunate enough to tag one. It's a great time.
    It can get that way.. I have been up there when I saw two other groups and other times I seen about 100 trucks.. I think this year you will see less trucks but more people inside each one.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

On the map I have it says that travel is restricted past the dietrich (sp)camp. what do they mean, and what do i have to do if anything to gain access?

Default Old

That is old information. Yes it used to be restricted but opened up several years ago.

If you have never been up, do a search. You will find lots of information on the trip.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Happy Valley Camp

I'm heading to Happy Valley Camp the 2nd week of Aug. to chase caribou again. I have better luck heading towards the West than trying to cross the Sag. When I did cross the Sag, the caribou seem to be farther South. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The only time I was there in Aug was around the 25th for a week. The bou were mainly around franklin bluffs and they thinned out quick south of pump 2. But we did see groups of 15-20 here and there. But most were the satellite groups of 3-5 animals. Good luck!