Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deshka Closed to Fishing

Default Deshka Closed to Fishing

If this was already posted sorry.

-KS-2-12-08 06/19/08 Northern Cook Inlet The Deshka River king salmon fishery will close beginning 11:00 p.m., Friday, June 20, through the remainder of the king salmon sport fishing season. Contactave Rutz

Default 'bout time...

Painful as it may seem for some, it's just the right thing to do.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

so i think i can expect the Little Su to be a Big Circus this weekend. loads of people lots of boat traffic (poor little river gonna get beat up). what do the guides do now? i know they spend their winter booking trips. will they go looking north?
    i know its the right thing to do,...bummer

The Little Su needs to either be restricted or shut down also. Everyone with a boat is going to head there and it can't take the pressure. Numbers have not been great there yet either. I was headed there for the weekend but will look at doing something else now. I'm just hope it's enought to save the run on the Deshka for years to come. I hope they start keeping track of the number coming out of the Willow, Sheep, Kashwitna, Montana etc... If they are low I want them shut down also. I'd rather take the pain now and know we can fish ten years from now. Time to go kill some pike.

Default Bummer...

As bad as it may sound they need to shut down several of the Susitna tributaries. Most of them are haveing very low numbers this year and with them closing the Deshka down, the guides and everyone else that usually fishes it, will hit the next closest rivers and we'll se the same thing in them. Sure is a BUMMER...

Has anyone heard if they are planning on restricting the Little Su to weekends only as previously rumored??

Default Deshka Closure

Does that mean you can't fish for kings, or you can't fish at all
    I like to fish for pike in some of the sloughs up on the deshka, I hope this doesn't affect that.

Unhappy

will they cut back the commercial fishery, or is this just the sport fisherman giving up fishing for the year?

From what I understand it will stop all commercial fishing in the upper Cook Inlet. Probably too little too late for both commercial and sport fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by chucktruck View Post
    Does that mean you can't fish for kings, or you can't fish at all
    I like to fish for pike in some of the sloughs up on the deshka, I hope this doesn't affect that.
    the closure shouldn't affect your pike fishing....BUT F&G is gill netting the living crap out of those sloughs....not a whole lot left in there....I hate to see it but I guess that too is for the best...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Silvers

Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    From what I understand it will stop all commercial fishing in the upper Cook Inlet. Probably too little too late for both commercial and sport fishing.
    Will that make for a hot year for silvers?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Thumbs up

Best thing that could of been done at least for now. I'd rather have good fishing in the coming years than poor fishing from now on.

So why was it put to 2 per day last year so early? I mean the counts were barley starting and they went to 2 a day. And didn't last years run end up below average in the end?

Default Whittier

Well it looks like it will be Whittier this weekend... SHRIMP!!!!!!

Default Crap

The best thing they coulda done?? What sport fishermen take nothing compared to comm fish, so shut down the sportfishing and give comm fish more openings?? That sounds right, thats lame.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

So if the BEG is not met...or is not even lets say 2/3's of what it is supposed to be, will the Biologists put a limit on the North Cook Inlet Commercial fishery for the next year? Or will they just limit sport fishing?

Not trying to start a fight, but this is the first time I have seen this happen, and just curious.

Thanks
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Looks like the commercial folks get the weekend to fish -- they close (may be) on the 23rd -- sports fishing closes tomorrow 6/20 or three days earlier. It is VERY important that the ADF&G maintain the privileged status of the mostly out of state commercial fishing folks -- even if it is for just three days.

"This Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement closes commercial salmon fishing in the Northern District of Upper Cook Inlet on Monday, June 23, 2008 from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. The Northern District King Salmon Management Plan (5 AAC 21.366) states that if the Deshka River is closed to sport fishing, the commissioner shall close the commercial king salmon fishery throughout the Northern District for the remainder of the fishing periods in the commercial salmon fishery. The Deshka River king salmon sport fishery is being closed and therefore the commercial king salmon fishery will be closed for the June 23rd period, which is the last fishing period in the 2008 king salmon commercial fishery." http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=1

BEG -- I will bet this weak Deshka run was NOT the result of an overescapement (IMHO, there is no such thing) but more likely the result of poor or non-existent science-based management that among other things allowed the over harvesting of kings by commercial folks and the king bycatch of the "Pollock fishery".

In the future (like presently), the state will make every effort to cater to the commercial fishing interests regardless of the Alaska constitution that states the fishery is of the benefit of all Alaskans.

Here is the pecking order (All decisions are guided by money and the following interest group order):

1). Commercial folks
    2). Guiding/tourist fishing folks
    3). Subsistence folks
    4). Alaskan fishing folks.

Default more dribble

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Looks like the commercial folks get the weekend to fish -- they close (may be) on the 23rd -- sports fishing closes tomorrow 6/20 or three days earlier. It is VERY important that the ADF&G maintain the privileged status of the mostly out of state commercial fishing folks -- even if it is for just three days.

"This Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement closes commercial salmon fishing in the Northern District of Upper Cook Inlet on Monday, June 23, 2008 from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. The Northern District King Salmon Management Plan (5 AAC 21.366) states that if the Deshka River is closed to sport fishing, the commissioner shall close the commercial king salmon fishery throughout the Northern District for the remainder of the fishing periods in the commercial salmon fishery. The Deshka River king salmon sport fishery is being closed and therefore the commercial king salmon fishery will be closed for the June 23rd period, which is the last fishing period in the 2008 king salmon commercial fishery." http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=1

BEG -- I will bet this weak Deshka run was NOT the result of an overescapement (IMHO, there is no such thing) but more likely the result of poor or non-existent science-based management that among other things allowed the over harvesting of kings by commercial folks and the king bycatch of the "Pollock fishery".

In the future (like presently), the state will make every effort to cater to the commercial fishing interests regardless of the Alaska constitution that states the fishery is of the benefit of all Alaskans.

Here is the pecking order (All decisions are guided by money and the following interest group order):

1). Commercial folks
    2). Guiding/tourist fishing folks
    3). Subsistence folks
    4). Alaskan fishing folks.
    I do not mean to be hard but really people before you post you should understand the regulations. The closure for Monday is because it is a regular period. There is no fishing Friday, Sat. or Sunday in the Commercial Fishery. So the e.o was proper and the commercial fishery is closed. End of story. Posts about weekend commercial fishing just demostrates ignorance.

To say there is no such thing as overescapement is just plain wrong. ADF&G has published a report on this examining 40 streams in Alaska. This is a basic fact and yields are reduced in overescapement situations. Read the report.

The order of decision making is also incorrect. Since Akriverrat has never made an UCI management decision his perception is just plain old bull. First, by law the subsistence fishery has priority and ADF&G follows that law. Second, the management plans dictate actions in UCI by ADF&G. The plans are clear here on the Deshka river chinook - read them.

This type of dribble by Akriverrat does not serve any purpose but to inflame people. The actual facts are far from Akriverrat posts on this subject.

A.R.R : I am a little shocked that Joe Fisherman is even on this list....What a shame.

Nerka - I am not sure that it is fair to say that A.R.R's perception is bull. It may be biased, and it may even be flat wrong as you pointed out. But, just for the sake of courteous discussion, we should use the word erroneous - just to be the nice guys that we are.

I figured as soon as I saw the EO this was going to start. It's unfortunate for everyone. Let's just hope we can save the fisheries for all of our sake. The numbers are terrible across the board. Every stream and river in the Big Su drainage should be shut down now until we are certian that they can make escapement. It's not the time to point fingers, it's the time to get our fisheries back to a healthy level to support the commercial guys way of life and the sport anglers desires to enjoy what they love most and feed their famlies. Nobody should keep any fish from the area this weekend. I think it's time to lean on our biologists and see what we can do for our part. Do we need more hatcherys? Do we need to limit boat traffic? Do we need to take the high horsepower boats off the water? Do we need to limit the commercial catch more? Is it the environment? Is it the pike and beavers? Or is it a combination of everything. As a sport fisherman it's easy to blame commercial fishing. I doubt they should take anymore blame than folks with large boats screaming up the Deshka or the Little Su. I would like to see what happens come Monday or Tuesday when the catch rate is poor everywhere else. Tight lines everyone. Go kill pike instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast