Thread: Anchorage sporting/fishing stores

Default Anchorage sporting/fishing stores

We usually take a couple of road trips (from Sterling) to Anchorage in July. Are there any other good places to shop for boat stuff, fishing gear besides B&J?
    I love that place but while in town, I'd like to make sure I'm hitting all the bases; how's Sportsman's for prices, selection?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Sportsman, West Marina, Dewey's Boats, MT. View sports,
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

B&J Sporting Goods is unmatched in service and the prices are fair.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

For boat and fishing stuff, head south the Gear Shed in Homer, they blow away anything in Anchorage, by a wide margin.

That said I find myself gravitating to B&J more than any other spot in Anchorage for fishing stuff. Large selection and knowledgable staff.

Default World Wide Angler

If you are into fly fishing............. or that new super secret Center Pin Fishing technique

If you are looking into any fly fishing needs, go to McAfee's fly shop.

[quote=Paul H;289442]For boat and fishing stuff, head south the Gear Shed in Homer, they blow away anything in Anchorage, by a wide margin.
    [quote]
    Interesting I have never been there I will keep that one in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Sportsman, West Marina, Dewey's Boats, MT. View sports,
    If you go to Dewey's, make sure it is what you exactly want. The people there are great, but sometimes they have so much going on, they will give you what you need, but it may not be the right size, etc....

Just make sure before you leave there, as we have had to drive back a few times to get the right parts.

But the people there are knowledgeable.

Or Marita Sea & Ski.

I understand wanting to sample the local flavor, but coming from Sterling you already have the best fishing shop in your backyard at Trustworthy. I love B&J's, but Trustworthy is my favorite. As for boating, agreed on the recommendation for the Gear Shed.

Default Trustworthy is great...

Absolutley love that place! A zoo in July. The only problem (as anywhere with limited space) is finding stuff you need, again in July. Usually the Vanish leader I like is gone with the ever popular 3/0 Gamakatsu red hooks. I also try to get stuff for the river boat (pvc 3 place rod holder) but they are usually out of those too. I think I'll have to hit it as soon as we get there, not wait until things are really off the charts; all those dang turists! Are we one of those? I don't like to think of myself as a turist having our own place in Sterling for the last 11 years but we don't live there (yet!). Not sure what the heck we are, but as a spade is a spade, a Cheechako is a Cheechako!
    Jim