Thread: any bear hunters with clothes made with bear

Default any bear hunters with clothes made with bear

just sitting here thinking if there was any hunters out there that has got a bear and had garments made out of the hide,like hats gloves coats.i think it would be nice to wear something that you harvested and to be proud of.

I had some polar bear mittins made in early 70s. Nice and warm, lost them a couple years after I got them. I know that polar bear and grizz skin is too thick for most garmet uses. I saw a few winter hunting pants made from polar bear a long time ago, they looked heavy. Saw mukluks or kamiks made from the leg skin of polar bears. Seeing how when people only had furs for garmets they mostly used bear hides for door coverings, that tells you something. But I don't see why you couldn't make hats and mittins and winter boots from bear. Maybe a parka if your sitting around a lot at minus 100 degrees.

Default just my thoughts

I have a deer made into a vest with the hair still on it. I have several bears, when I get a big one I want to make it into a full length coat with the head for the hood, his arms are my sleeves and so on.

Bear is good leather and pretty durable fur. Made lots of garments out of it. Not too hard to tan either. One longtime bushrat down on the Yukon was famous locally for his black bear pants and vest...he wore them til they were pretty far gone. Mukluks, mitts, pants, vest, coat, ruffs...you name it, you use what you have and what works.

Default Black Bear Mittens

I have made a few pairs of black bear elbow length mittens in the past. Buck skin for the palms and bear everywhere else. They really look nice while riding your Harley. Old time cowboy chaps are the next project that I am helping a friend with. Heck you could even wear them in the bedroom!

Default Here are my boys boots

Howling wolf furs made them for me and he loves them.

I had a jacket made out of a 10 foot Brown Bear I shot, but it's too small for me. I must be too big and burly for it. It tanned real good though.

Default love them boots

trapper bob i love them boots and it looks like he likes to,also looks to me a future hunter is in the making.