Thread: Quietest 4 stroke 5H.P or under

Default Quietest 4 stroke 5H.P or under

Having added one of those great Gary King inflatable's I am now figuring out which outboard we want to run. (8ft.6 Seward Sport Boat)
    I'm sure some of you have real world experience, and I would appreciate some insite!
    We are cruisers, always in the salt. I don't need to water ski behind the tender so speed is not a Big issue. I don't even need to get up on step, ploding is fine. I would like to stay with a big 3 manafacturer (Honda Yamaha Zuzuki).
    The big consideration for me is quiet, silly as that may seem. Stats never tell the real story so help me out.
    Thanks, Mike

I've got a 5hp Honda which I put on my dinghy (9' or so Achilles). Works great. I've only used it a few times to come to and from shore. It will actually get on step but I don't like the feel of it when it does so I usually putt-putt. It's really quiet. I bet I don't have more than half an hour on the engine or the dinghy. This is my 3rd season on this one.

I coulda sworn I came across a review of small kickers in a sailing magazine, and as I recall the hondas were pretty darn quiet.

To me an equally important issue is weight. If you're placing the kicker on the infatable on the water, you want the lightest possible unit.

Default Noisy Honda 2 hp

There was a thread a while back on this subject. I have one of these and it's definitely not quiet. I bought it thinking it would be a typical quiet Honda but not so. Other than the noise, it's about as light weight as you can get and does fine pushing our dingy around. Do a search on this as others weighed in one their experiences which will help you out.

I have a yammie 4 horse. Since it is a single cylinder it is not very smooth and not very quiet. It does have an integrated tank which for me is nice. I used a 6 horse suzuki a couple of weeks ago. It is hands down a better running engine IMO. It also has an itegrated tank. It is quieter and much smoother than my yamaha. I would go with the zuke 6 if I were to do it again.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I rented a Honda 5 hp once and quiet it was not! But since I never used any other types of motors in this hp range I can not say if it was quieter or louder than other brands.
    Tennessee

The truth of the matter is that these little dinky single motors, at least for the most part, vent exhaust above the water line and that makes them loud - that is if they are even water cooled. Additionally, because they are single cylinders, they often shake like heck. IMO a heavier twin is far better no matter how you slice it - even it means a 2 stroke.

I got a Tohatsu. It is essentialy a merc, but the gear shift is located in a more convenient location on mine, and it was about $150 cheaper than the merc. I am happy with its noise level and performance.

Twin cylinders are much quieter than singles. The smallest twin I know of is the Yamaha 6 hp. You can barely hear the motor at idle, but the downside is that it weighs about 85 lbs.