Thread: Camp Stove Question

Default Camp Stove Question

I have got almost all of my gear for my upcoming sheep hunt this fall. But I'm still not sure what stove to go with. For the most part I think that we will be hunting out of base camp, but we might spike-out if we see the ram that we want.
    What camp stove do you use?.... and why?
    Another concern that I have is that we can't bring any fuel with us on the plane. Dose anyone know how easy it is to find fuel in Kotz??
    Thank you for your input.................
    DJ

I have several stoves, but for remote hunts I use my MSR dragon fly, will burn any fuel and is bullet proof. I have a jetboil and like it but fuel is hard to find fro it in the villages. You could use a whitebox stove for your spike trips away from base camp. A stove link.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=stove
    Steve

For spike camps, use a small MSR Pocket rocket and one canister, small compact and light, that with a small cup to boil water and your set.

Default love my jet boil

so far. It works great for what I want. Hot water. My brother in law has a brunton stove. Tiny little thing. It was almost weightless. Not sure how it performs yet. That may be the ticket when it comes to light weight hunting.

canister stove should be fine for August sheep hunt, depends where you go for Sept - some places (temps) white gas is a better choice.

You'll find white gas at just about any town that has flying services operating out of it. The canisters can be more difficult to come by, so if you go that route I would call ahead to the general store and put a couple on lay-a-way if they have them.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by DJ HUNTN AK View Post
    I have got almost all of my gear for my upcoming sheep hunt this fall. But I'm still not sure what stove to go with. For the most part I think that we will be hunting out of base camp, but we might spike-out if we see the ram that we want.
    What camp stove do you use?.... and why?
    Another concern that I have is that we can't bring any fuel with us on the plane. Dose anyone know how easy it is to find fuel in Kotz??
    Thank you for your input.................
    For years we have used "Trangia" alcohol stoves. No noise; no parts like pump or washers to mess up and very clean burning.. Will boil a quart of water in about six minutes.
    Usually buy from the "bulk plant" and re-package in clean quart oil containers.
    Joe (Ak)
    I've not bought from this company but they apparently carry a full range of the product.
    http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/trangia-stoves.html