Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raft Recovered! x Posted

Thumbs up Raft Recovered! x Posted

I just wanted to repost this original thread of our raft that was stolen almost a year ago:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=12406

Long story short. It was stolen. It was date stamped on ODD. We found it before someone was getting ready to float it down the Chena River. We contacted State Troopers and through much research, it was recovered tonight!
    I owe huge thanks to a ton of you that helped me located names, addresses, people, and the serial number.
    Thank You:
    Michael Strahan. LuJon. AlaskaTrueAdventure. BlueMoose. Maravia. Wild AK Rivers Co. Alaska Raft and Kayak.
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!!
    I am going to have happy children returning from Colorado and a happy youth group that will take advantage of the raft, too.
    Lurker.

Default recovery...

What a great ending to your story. Great endings do not happen often enough. I know how hard I work for my stuff, and assume you do also. Great to see the good guys recovery what you worked for. Hope the bad guys "get what they deserve".
    I just recently re-registered my rafts and hope I don't need to go through the legal process you just experienced.
    Dennis

That is a way cool story.

I am curious on more of the story though on how you found it. Were you just at the river and noticed your raft or did you get a tip?

Thanks, Dennis. I really do appreciate it!

More of the story is x (cross) posted on the General Discussion side.
    I'll post bullet points here, though.
    *Stolen July 2007
    *Thief sold to new owner August 2007
    *June 2008
    -Driving by AlaskaLand (Pioneed Park) to find that they were ready to push our boat to do a Chena River float.
    -We exchanged information and I started researching it quickly.
    -Found who we thought we got it from (Alaska Raft and Kayak), but instead, through Maravia, found out it was through Wild AK Rivers Co.
    -I contacted BlueMoose to find information.
    -I PMed and contacted Michael Strahan to find information.
    -Alaska Raft and Kayak contacted Maravia (since they are a vendor) and forewarned that I would be contacting them.
    -Maravia provided all the information that I needed
    -I am still in the process of getting more information so that we can get the raft insured through our personal articles policy.

The State Trooper contacted me and told me that the guy had to turn it into me within 24 hours and we plugged in later that evening so that he could return the raft.
    Ironically, he lives down the street from me.
    Hm?
    He also can't remember who he bought it from nor show the Trooper where the location of the property is that he bought it from.
    Imagine that.
    So....

Yay... we got our raft back!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Thanks, Dennis. I really do appreciate it!

More of the story is x (cross) posted on the General Discussion side.
    I'll post bullet points here, though.
    *Stolen July 2007
    *Thief sold to new owner August 2007
    *June 2008
    -Driving by AlaskaLand (Pioneed Park) to find that they were ready to push our boat to do a Chena River float.
    -We exchanged information and I started researching it quickly.
    -Found who we thought we got it from (Alaska Raft and Kayak), but instead, through Maravia, found out it was through Wild AK Rivers Co.
    -I contacted BlueMoose to find information.
    -I PMed and contacted Michael Strahan to find information.
    -Alaska Raft and Kayak contacted Maravia (since they are a vendor) and forewarned that I would be contacting them.
    -Maravia provided all the information that I needed
    -I am still in the process of getting more information so that we can get the raft insured through our personal articles policy.

The State Trooper contacted me and told me that the guy had to turn it into me within 24 hours and we plugged in later that evening so that he could return the raft.
    Ironically, he lives down the street from me.
    Hm?
    He also can't remember who he bought it from nor show the Trooper where the location of the property is that he bought it from.
    Imagine that.
    So....

Yay... we got our raft back!
    I think he got it from your house.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I think he got it from your house.....
    Is that an educated guess or have you read my previous posts?
    Even more so... do you think that you might have a lead for me.

Yes... he stole it from the pond on our property. We lock up all of our stuff now and insure the important stuff.
    Lurker.

Right on! Good for you!!

That is way cool you got it back.

I hope the dudes next raft tears open 30 miles from a road where he has to use a sat phone and spend big money to get rescued.

Of course I want him to live. But you know what they say about Karma

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Right on! Good for you!!
    Thanks. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    That is way cool you got it back.

I hope the dudes next raft tears open 30 miles from a road where he has to use a sat phone and spend big money to get rescued.

Of course I want him to live. But you know what they say about Karma
    You know... I hear you on this, but this is what I remind myself all the time in these situations.
    For you, karma, for me: Psalm 94:1 Vengence belongs to God.

So... whomever stole it from us doesn't have to deal with the wrath of COtoAK, but the wrath of God Himself.
    How's that for 'karma'?
    Lurker.

Thats awesome.congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Thats awesome.congrats!
    Thanks! If you hear something (since you are in my small world of North Pole) please send on the information. The other guy is going to pursue finding the original thief.
    Lurker.

Thanks. I really appreciate it!

You know... I hear you on this, but this is what I remind myself all the time in these situations.
    For you, karma, for me: Psalm 94:1 Vengence belongs to God.

So... whomever stole it from us doesn't have to deal with the wrath of COtoAK, but the wrath of God Himself.
    How's that for 'karma'?
    100% agree on that

Thanks! If you hear something (since you are in my small world of North Pole) please send on the information. The other guy is going to pursue finding the original thief.
    So, he is going to run circles around himself is he?

100% agree on that
    Glad that I am not alone on that.

So, he is going to run circles around himself is he?
    Oh... so you are saying that you think that he was the one that did it? Although I wonder it truly myself (as well as the Trooper), I'd like to believe to give him enough of the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't him.
    (He had a good sob story...) Or... maybe I just have way too big of a heart.
    Lurker.

What are the odds that a guy steals your raft and sells it to a guy that lives just down the street from you? I am glad you got your raft back, but this is just too convenient to me.

Yeah I kind of doubt any money was ever traded.

But you hate to drive by that house now and not wonder. That must be a drag.

I would at least honk when I drove by with the raft and wave

What are the odds that a guy steals your raft and sells it to a guy that lives just down the street from you? I am glad you got your raft back, but this is just too convenient to me.
    Yeah I kind of doubt any money was ever traded.

But you hate to drive by that house now and not wonder. That must be a drag.

I would at least honk when I drove by with the raft and wave
    I'll be very open and honest on here. He seemed to be genuine or maybe I am just naive.

I can only base it on how he physically responded when he saw my daughter running from my vehicle and pushing up and down on the raft saying that it was ours.
    Facial expressions are priceless and either he felt incredibly terrible and realized that he stole it from children or he was quite embarrassed in front of his 10 friends that were getting ready to float the Chena.

The Trooper speculated that he was not telling the truth either. I told this guy that I would get the list of the wedding party to him if he wanted to pursue something more. I suggested that he pull his bank records and his call logs from August last year to find that telephone number and to show that he pulled out the $. I even told him that I'd be willing to testify in his behalf to obtain his money back, too.

You know, talking about this openly now, there was something else that was really odd about him and I meeting to exchange the raft. We met at this place called Cup-a-chena and for those that are familiar with the area know where that's located at. Apparently he lives down CHSR (Chena Hot Springs Road) and we live on the on the road that is perpendicular to CHSR. He suggested that he just go ahead and drive it to my house. Are you kidding me? A week prior, I was almost ready to cold sock the guy in the face for having my raft, but he was willing to drive it to my house?
    Never under estimate a Land Rover. The raft was deflated and it fit right into the back with the seats pulled down.

We will see how much further he will take this.

Strange. Usually I discern liars and thieves and he just didn't strike me as one. He didn't have common sense, but it doesnt mean that he wasn't genuine. It also doesn't mean that I am not naive as well.
    Lurker.

Default re

Where in the world are the serial numbers on a raft?

That's a great question. I am staring at the raft as I type this and I do not know where the serial number is located at.
    I had other ways of finding out the serial number.
    I'll answer your question tomorrow when it's not raining and when I am able to take it off the top of my LR.
    Lurker.

Typically what I've seen is a small metal plate that is on the front/rear of the raft with the serial number stamped into it. Mine are located on the inside tube. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast