Thread: The Other Whittier Report

Default The Other Whittier Report

Well, it was my first time fishing in PWS, I had a guy bail who was coming along with pots and so I posted a request to borrow some and wouldn't you know it, someone on here came through and loaned me 5 complete setups!! Pretty nice guy!!
    Anyway it was my first trip on the new boat and I was a little apprehensive to go out too far. I had studied the chart for weeks and asked you all tons of questions, and was pretty zoned in on one spot in particular. Anyway, as I was approaching Culross I decided not to go any farther and just stick close. THe shrimping was good for my first time. We came up with 600, and didn't even have a puller. THis however was the frst time that I have ever been skunked fishing in the salt. I grew up and spent my whole life on or near the water and have always been pretty savy about rippin lips in the salt. But I can tell know we needed to go farther, and next time I will. The funny part was that at the ramp I talked to fellow with 2 buts, he had been exactly where I was gonna head, so it made me feel a bit better.
    PS I am loking for some shrimp gear, preferrably used at this point. I especially a,m looking for the stackable model.
    Also I am thinking of setting up a block and tackle 3 to 1 mechanical advantage for hauling pots. Has anyone tried this???

I saw 5 stackable shrimp pots last night on Craigslist for $250. These run about $70 new.

Default shrimp question

how long did you let your pots soak for. we didn't do very well last week. but set pretty close to whittier and only soaked 3 hours. the weekend trying further out.. south culross and have longer to poke around.. any tips?

In order for your 3:1 block/tackle to work, you'll need a pulley on the pot, pulley on the boat, and three times your depth in rope length. You will not gain any mechanical advantage with ropes/pulleys unless you have a pulley on the pot. This is not practical.

Default The other Whittier report

Good job Dawg. Do you have any photos of the shrimp you caught? We all love photos to drool over . Hopefully Momma is happy and we will bump into each other this season and the next. I just talked to a guy coming back from Whittier who nailed the hailbut in an area where I have been shrimping for the last 2 years and can't wait to get out onto the water and slay some butts and get some shrimp.

Dave

So where is your shrimping spot anyway? A buddy an I have been planning on trying our hand at shrimping but the waters are so deep in Whitter.

peanuts - Yes, the waters are deep, but that's where the shrimp are. You'll mostly be wasting time and effort shrimping in anything shallower than 300', and it'll only get better until you get down to 600'.

After 400, I found that you don't get trash fish in your traps.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK