Thread: Griz or "Phase" Black

Default Griz or "Phase" Black

Got a story and maybe someone can help me decide what it was. Was out checking the bait station. As I pulled up on the 4 wheeler I see something that looked light brown running away from where the station was. I stopped to see if I could get a good look to determine if it was a bear or moose. But of course I heard nothing as it ran off. Anyhow, as I am trying to figure it out I see a 2' long black cub coming down out of the tree just above the bait barrel. I wait a couple more minutes to see if a second cub will show up. Nothing, so I go check the station, and find it had been hit and at least 4 piles of scat. Hoping that there were others also hitting it I went back to cabin, grab my rifle and get taken back out to sit in my stand that evening. I get there at 8 and forgot to check to see if the uncle was coming back after me or if I was going to walk out later. Well I sat there till 12:10 am. I stand up and throw my rifle over my head and get ready to climb down when I spot a light brown bear walking about 75 yds behind me. I never head it walk in. I go to unshoulder my rifle again and spooked the bear. I waited another 20 minutes while trying to hear it walk to see if it was coming back. But no such luck. Well it is now 12:30 in the morning and getting rather dark in the woods. I decided to get down and start the long walk back towards the cabin. I leave the stand of woods I was in and entered the small swamp area. I am about 20 yards into the swamp and I hear barking, like if my Labs were barking at me walking through the woods, and I see what looked like my dogs running through the brush. Then all of a sudden a black bear cub or at least very dark bear cub flies up a tree and about 40 yds in front of me a 7+ ft bear stands up and starts looking at me. I backed up and she went back down of all 4's and I backed up against a couple larch Birch trees and waited another 10 or 15 mins before I started skirting the swamp and made my way back to the cabin. Now that I am not being looked at like dinner for a sow and cub and talking to other people I am confused. My question is since I didn't ever get a good look at her back or broadside was this Sow a Black "Phase" bear or a Griz? I have been told that Griz don't bark like dogs and I have been told yes they do. I was also told that Griz cubs don't climb trees or when that do that are not good at it. the "little" bear was up that tree in about 2 seconds. If she is a "Phase" bear she will be legal to shoot this fall when she looses the cub or by next spring. So what do you know about Browns vs Black bears?

Default Phase bears

Here's a sow black bear with cinnamon phase cubs...don't think black daddy bear was too happy.....hehehe

I would have to say a cinny....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Here's a sow black bear with cinnamon phase cubs...don't think black daddy bear was too happy.....hehehe
    COOL PICTURE.