Thread: Walk-in sheep hunts

Default Walk-in sheep hunts

Anyone have any suggestions on some walk-in areas for a sheep hunt?
    I just moved out of Alaska but am coming back this August for one last resident hunt. I have done walk-in hunts out of Permaneti road near Sutton, Pinnacle mountain out of Chickaloon, Eureka, Crystalline mountains, and above Chitina. Only successful one was above Chitina but had a shot on a legal ram out of Eureka too. I am looking to find a new area maybe.

Try the Brooks Range, or the Nabesna road. There is lots of options. Good luck.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Nabesna Road is a good option. It seems that after they closed some of the trails to fourwheeler use that there are less people now. The previous five years saw a pretty big increase in the number of hunters, specifically at the Suslota Creek Trailhead where I counted almost a dozen vehicles with trailers in 2006 on opening day. Caribou Creek Trail and Trail Creek Trail are good options. I've seen sheep from the road at the head of those two trails; however, most of those are sub-legal (even in the 3/4 curl area) because anything legal and close to the road doesn't last long. If you use the trails to get close to the mountains and then get off the trails by moving a drainage or two over you'll do well.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Walk-ins

If your gonna walk, your gonna have to out-walk the competition, there are some die-hards on here, that will walk 50-plus miles on a 12 day hunt, into some pretty remote country. Theres also more places to go such as the Talkeetnas, white Mtns ets. , just do the research.

Another way to get some ideas is to look on the Fish and Game website. There are harvest reports that you can sort through that show which units, drainages, etc. people have been successful in, and it also tells what mode of transportation people used (i.e. look for those that walked in). It takes some time to sort through, but if you put the puzzle pieces together, it can be helpful.