Thread: New Grizz

Default New Grizz

Just picked up my new 08 Grizz 700 fi w/ power steering, full aluminum skid plate package, winch, and trailer.

CAN'T WAIT TO HIT THE TRAILS!

I wanted a non-power steering 700 fi, but Anchorage Yamaha only had 1 of those left and it had crate damage. I ended up getting a power steering 700 fi for $400 more.

Anyone got any advise for a new Grizz owner?

Congrats on the new purchase!

As far as advise...take lots of pictures now. It will never be this clean or shiny again!

1) get rid of the stock tires and get some with at least 1" lugs.

2) Pull apart your electrical connections and dielectric grease them, including battery connections and ESPECIALLY the connectors on your front differential.

3) Handwarmers for cold weather riding.

4) Hardbox for rear rack.

5) flat gas container for front rack (longer than 60 mile days).

6) The TSP cable is a well known and documented weak spot for stranding you on the trail. If it gets wet it CAN short out. It can be siliconed to prevent this.

7) Go to highlifter.com in the yamaha section to get ALL the knowledge you need from hundreds of other 700 owners, to keep it running smooth and to prevent having to give the dealers any more $ than necessary in the future.

If you don't mind saying how much did you pay in anch?

Congrats on the Griz. My buddy just got one. I rode it briefly and man that power steering is the hot setup. You can actually steer it with Diff Lock engaged. I have an 02 Griz and with Diff Lock engaged it's pretty much straight going. Tough to steer. Oh, get some offset wheels to go with your new tires. Add a little width to it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

correction on my number 6 - It's TPS or throttle position sensor

You bought a nice four-wheeler. Like someone else already said, get better tires.

Why didn't you want the power steering? Best option on that four-wheeler IMO. My brother has an '07 grizzly and it kicks ass with p.s.

I can comfortably say that buying my Grizz was the absolute best toy I have ever purchased! I haven't regretted it for a minute. I just ordered the full skid plate package for mine. Should be here on Monday.
    EricL

I love 700 and I think the power steering is the best feature over the 660.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Just picked up my new 08 Grizz 700 fi w/ power steering, full aluminum skid plate package, winch, and trailer.

CAN'T WAIT TO HIT THE TRAILS!

I wanted a non-power steering 700 fi, but Anchorage Yamaha only had 1 of those left and it had crate damage. I ended up getting a power steering 700 fi for $400 more.

Anyone got any advise for a new Grizz owner?
    Congrats on the Grizzly. You will love the power steering!!!! I will never own a quad without power steering again. The first thing you need to do (other than ride) is go here: http://www.grizzlycentral.com/. This is the best Grizzly site on the net. Tons of good information for anything you would want to know about the Grizzly. Feel free to PM on Grizzly Central with any questions. My screen name is the same over there. Again....GONGRATS on an awesome quad!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Congrats on the Grizzly. You will love the power steering!!!! I will never own a quad without power steering again. The first thing you need to do (other than ride) is go here: http://www.grizzlycentral.com/. This is the best Grizzly site on the net. Tons of good information for anything you would want to know about the Grizzly. Feel free to PM on Grizzly Central with any questions. My screen name is the same over there. Again....GONGRATS on an awesome quad!!!
    Not to change topics, but thanks for that link to the site, Muddy. I have tried several different forums to get some information on the Grizz with no luck. I had my eyes opened a little on a couple forums by all the folks admitting to trespassing, littering, and everything else. No wonder we have to fight for our hobbies!! Anyway, thanks again.
    EricL

Thanks guys. I have yet to get out on my new Grizz, but I plan on riding at Eklutna Lake this Sunday just to start off with an easy trip to vary speed and RPMs a lot to break in the motor.

I thought I didn't want power steering just because they said it was going to be like $1000 more and I'm used to non-power steering machines. When I got them down to $400 more for the power steering machine, it was a no-brainer.

I've heard it's awesome, so I just can't wait to get out and ride!

Anyone have any suggestions for good tires and where to buy them?

-Zeb

Yep, I would get some 26" or 27" mud lites for that wheeler. Stay away from the mud shark tires, whatever you do.

Another good forum is atvfrontier.com They have a good Yamaha and Alaska forum. I know the guy who owns the site and a good friend of mine is a Griz fanatic and mods the Yamaha forum, silvertipgriz. He has got to have the most tricked out modded 660 (686 big bore now) Griz in the state. And he just bought a 700 FI and is working on it as well.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have owned an 07 700 Grizzly SE for just about a year to the day. Beyond the power adders the best thing a guy can do is toss on a set off Mud Lites. The thing I would suggest is a flat gas can or two. I plan on using it to keep the front end down when I ap climbing serious hills. Yet can take them off when I want to "play". I have so far opted to not get a winch....I don't get stuck and everyone else has one so wy should I get one. My wife likeed mine so much we just got her one in red.

I'm assuming the rattle is not anything serious. Now for the next question. How do you like the power steering? Do you agree with me that it is great?

The power steering is nice, but it's not the end all. I don't think it deserves the hype.

The rattle has me concerned enough that I'm going to take it back to the dealer.

My new Grizz is also konking out at low RPM, but idles just fine????

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post

My new Grizz is also konking out at low RPM, but idles just fine????
    There is no fix for this one. a lot of the new 700 efi grizzlys do this, it will quit doing it after 100 or 200 miles.

I second the ATV Frontier site. Seem to be very nice people.