Thread: What to do? Seldovia.

Default What to do? Seldovia.

Hey guys, Going to fly the wife down to Seldovia, Jakalof Bay, English Bay area for the fourth of july weekend. Any suggestions on hiking trails in the area, good places to eat, Fishing spots, anythng outdoorsy and fun. Never been to this area and it is about time. Would love to hear some ideas.

Josh

Default Fishing

Go to the State Dept. Of Transportation website to find a good aerial photo of the airport. You will see a creek/lagoon near one end of the airport. People catch kings in the lagoon, very near the airport. I have not done it yet but would like to try it.

Mac

Check out the Seldovia Chamber web site. There are some VERY good walking paths and trails all over the place. Some of them along the beach. You can easily walk into town from the airport.The Mad Fish used to be an OK restaraunt, there are a couple of CAFE type places that have weird hours and lazy employees. The Laundry mat has tacos, movies and ice cream. I have eaten at the Laundry mat more times than anywhere else.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the information. Found a great map on the chamber web site. I was also reading in the boating forum and it sounds like it could be a zoo down there being the fourth of july. Overall, sounds like we need to throw in the hiking boots and the fishing poles. Now lets just hope for good weather.

Plus bring your own ropes for the Seldovia Airport..
    If you are on floats the salt water boat harbor is what passes for the seaplane base.

Watch out for goof balls not using their radios and going against the pattern over in Seldovia on the 4th...

If you get stuck down in this area due to weather give me a call.

Default Seldovia, Great place

The fourth of July is the big time in Seldovia. We have events all day and into the evening, most people in Seldovia all year. It's a good time for all ages. The Linwood bar is fun and has food, next door the Tide Pool is an excellent restrauant and open all day and into the evening. The laundry mat is sold and now a coffe shop and sandwhich shop. All the places for lodgeing are great and the people are nice. As far as the lazy people comment goes, I take offence to it and might remind visitors that we live a little slower than the city and thats why we are there, if you which the fast paced life you have the opt. of staying in Anchorage.
    The airport is 1800' gravel and kept in great shape. The approach can be a bit tricky if the wind is cranking, just be ready for bumps. Also on 122.9 ask the homer air or smokey bay pilots for a pirep, they are pro's and are happy to help out. If the weather or conditions aren't good you can land in Homer, park in transit and take Homer Air or Smokey Bay over and back very reasonible, Please come and enjoy a wonderful place.

Default Thanks to all!

Thank you guys very much. I greatly appreciate all of the input. Now just hopeing the weather will cooperate as much as all of you on the forum have. Thanks again.

Default pacer in AK

AKPacer, What year Pacer do you fly? I'm a Pacer guy also, we have a PA22-20 135 and a 59' 160hp 22-20. I won't be in town the 4th but next time your heading down drop me a line.

Default Pacer

Algonquin, I fly a 1957 PA-22-20 150. Will do sometime on the look up. Its always good to know and talk to people with similar interests. Do you live in seldovia?

Default Fishing

Algonquin
    How is the fishing at the airport this year? I am thinking of brining my daughters down for some fish and chow at the tide pool. Is it worth the hike from ANC?
    Drew

Default Hi Toddler

Hi Toddler, your getting a bit late for the Kings off the bridge, but they are still getting some. It's been a bit slow but there are fish to be had. For the Kids by the pipe is fun when the pinks and chums run in during July and Aug.
    Of course to me its alway worth the trip to Seldovia. If you see my yellow/red/white pacer on the ramp ask around for me and I'll try to help you out. Tom Hines

Default Silvers

Hey do you guys get any silvers in down there along with the pinks and chums? If so, are they in now. Thinking i may need to take a day trip.

We haven't had much of a silver run over the years, only a few confussed ones, but the state started a plant a few years back and they should start showing up soon. The only dependable run is a late run into Jacklof bay in late Aug. and early Sept.. You might try the slew as they may be there soon. Good luck.

Anyone landed on the strip at Jakalof Bay? What's it like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW this thread is OLD.......

Quote Originally Posted by brianwalch View Post
    Anyone landed on the strip at Jakalof Bay? What's it like?
    A few weeks ago I flew down to Seldovia, the Jakalof Bay strip was underwater with driftwood all over it. According to Foreflight "Area subject to tidal flooding & debris, under water at +18 ft tide, possible logs during high tide".
    Phil Whittemore
    If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore