Thread: Charter distances

Default Charter distances

Is the fact the fuel is costing more preventing some company's from running there normal distance to the holes that produce or are they cutting back how far they run so they save a little money rather than satisfy there clients with fish and hope they land on a chicken hole?

Default No Way

I can't speak for the other guys, but I tell my clients right up front that we will not skimp or short trip in anyway. I would be so upset if I paid for a service and the provider decided to short me in some way and I will not do that. I'll raise my rates if I have to, but NO SHORT TRIPS! The price of gas hurts, but not getting out to the real fishing grounds will hurt much worse in the long run.
    I will say this on this subject also:
    My clients so far this season have been MORE GENEROUS to my deckhand and I with tipping. We do what we do, because we love it, but recognition from our guests is a wonderful thank you. I don't mean to say money is the thanks we need though. We love a compliment or better yet a referral.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Thats great to hear fishin 45 I was just wondering if it gets bad enough for some if they would even consider going less distances it's good to know that there are respectable company's out there that think about there clients rather than what it will cost to fill up when they get back. I personally tip well when I'm out on a charter even though I would rather do everything myself rather than have someone helping me. I fish on my buddy's boat in the summer and take charters maybe 1-2 times a year cause the company pays for them but I will still tip good even though I didn't pay for the trip. We go out on the same charter boat and with the same captain every year and he has done nice things for us uncluding leaving the dock at 5am to catch the tide and stay out late to limit the boat it just goes to show you if you take care of them they will take care of you

I would say that cutting trips short would be the beginning of the end of the charter industry up here.

No way, not us, we only fish rivers, and don't use as much fuel at the boats out of Whitter, Seward or Homer, but we will go the distance if needed up the rivers, to try and get you on some fish.

Big Lings Are My Thing .... Our Clients Come First ......just Do It......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Is the fact the fuel is costing more preventing some company's from running there normal distance to the holes that produce or are they cutting back how far they run so they save a little money rather than satisfy there clients with fish and hope they land on a chicken hole?
    The charter I took out of Homer last year definitely did cut our trip short, and I wasn't impressed. It was supposed to be an all day trip, and the charter came highly recommended, but we were back at the dock before 2pm, with a limit of chickens

I made sure I discussed this when I booked with someone out of Seward this year, and they said they still go out as far as normal, but there may be a fuel surcharge. So be it. Ask before you go!

I went on a charter last week and the captain told us he wouldn't take us as far as usual due to fuel prices, but he said he wasn't going to take us to a chicken patch. The man kept to his word, and we got a few nice fish and then chickens, weather was bad.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Never short the running distance. I know several in Juneau that fish for little ping-pong paddles close to town, but it's so they can charge more for a 'butt trip and get 2 runs in per day... Just today I saw a cooler full of h&g butts from one of the charterboats - none were bigger than 5 to 10 lbs. All I can do is shake my head and know I'm doing what I think is the right thing...

Prices may be higher to cover the fuel cost and rising commissions, but the longer runs should always be made.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will glady pay more to get on good fish! Ping Pong paddles do not interest me!

I am still running without regard for how far but I have slowed my speed down to maximize efficiency. I am saving 4 galllons per hour by slowing from 22 to 19 knots. That is a savings of 10,000 dollars per year. You do get 15 or 20 minutes less of fishing time but at least I am going as far as need be.

Our New Shirts Say '' No Chicken Tonight!'' The Back Says '' Will Fish For Fuel'':d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default fishn's fishn.

I think its a wise thing to consider the ever-rising cost of fuel these days... whether it be for a saltwater charter or simply driving down the road...

if a charter operator is not concerned about their fuel burn this year then they will soon succumb to their own short-sightedness... it is a business after all... resources are finite, be it fish or fossil fuel. it will be interesting to see how many guided outfits go under in the next couple years due to increased overhead costs...

with that said, society as a whole needs to shift our behavior away from resource intensive practices and towards more sustainable operating models.

...running further to find fish is a means to an end, especially when you spend half the time running right over potential fishing grounds. guides run the distance because thats what they know. the true innovator will find fish where no one thought there were fish to be caught.

any respectable charter outfit will give you the trip you paid for. whether they go the distance should not be the primary concern, but how they treat their customers and how hard they try to put you on the fish.

and besides... less running time means more fishing time...
    you do the math.

Talking

Testing The '' New'' Grounds Is Burnsville At Its Finest...thanks But No Thanks.....you Have The Tides And Weather To Deal With.. Most Of Our Customers Are Awesome And Said They Would Pay Extra To Go Do The Spots From Last Year...we Declined Their Offer.....less Knots Means More Fuel Saved As Stated By Ak Capt. And If This Job Was A Money Only Gig I Would Have Stuck With Modeling.....:d

I know quite a few guides in Seward and Deep Creek. It's a mixed bag and hate to say this but some only take tourist groups so far others take anyone so far and some have just figured profits will be less and pray for no break downs.

The trips I have booked for business I made it clear up front if it's more money needed then let me know but I want to go where the fish are.

I also know a few salt guides that are really struggling this year with bookings. They are down. Then I know some others that you cannot buy a spot until late August.

So I really think it is a mixed bag

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post

...running further to find fish is a means to an end, especially when you spend half the time running right over potential fishing grounds. guides run the distance because thats what they know. the true innovator will find fish where no one thought there were fish to be caught.

any respectable charter outfit will give you the trip you paid for. whether they go the distance should not be the primary concern, but how they treat their customers and how hard they try to put you on the fish.

and besides... less running time means more fishing time...
    you do the math.
    So is it fair to the customer that the charter company is using there money to prospect for there own good by trying new spots? i don't think so, that is there job to know where the fish are otherwise you are going for a $200 boat ride and they sure wouldn't survive in business for very long giving $200 boat rides and no fish. The charter company's are running far out cause they know there are fish out there and choose to satisfy there clients with fish not $200 boat rides. Most company's are raising the rates to some what offset fuel costs so they can continue to run where the fish are and not use there clients money to benifit themselves by prospecting area's closer to port. By all means prospect on your own time not the time I paid for but that's just my opinion

AKCAPT> If you are using up 20min. of your clients fishing time so you can save money and gas how about you just stay out 20min. longer than normal?

I will be coming up in July 2009 and i plan on taking a few charter trips. I have booked with a very solid charter that will do what it takes and if i pay a bit more thats ok. the friend i am coming to see has a halibut boat in Homer so i have access to the close in fish with him. i am taking a charter out to where the big dogs bark so i would be really pissed if we went to a chicken hole close by. thats not why i booked with them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin 45 View Post
    I can't speak for the other guys, but I tell my clients right up front that we will not skimp or short trip in anyway. I would be so upset if I paid for a service and the provider decided to short me in some way and I will not do that. I'll raise my rates if I have to, but NO SHORT TRIPS! ....
    uhhhh - and for those of us who might be interested in this at some point (i.e., in paying a little more for a guarantee of no skimpage), can you please post a link/contact info?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I will be coming up in July 2009 and i plan on taking a few charter trips. I have booked with a very solid charter that will do what it takes and if i pay a bit more thats ok. the friend i am coming to see has a halibut boat in Homer so i have access to the close in fish with him. i am taking a charter out to where the big dogs bark so i would be really pissed if we went to a chicken hole close by. thats not why i booked with them.
    I agree with you, I have already contacted the charter I plan on going out with in valdez in July and told him because I booked before he chose to raise prices due to fuel that I would gladly pitch in more to go out a little further he seems like a stand up guy and appriciated the offer. I didn't even plan on going out on a halibut charter i wanted a shark charter but the only opening another company had was on sunday and since I am gonna be there for the weekend for that trip I thought to myself why not book a halibut charter for saturday so that's what i did. Nail 2 birds with one stone lol