Thread: Russian River Rainbows

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Question Russian River Rainbows

I know there have been quite a few of us chasing them since the opener. I fished them on the Russian on saturday and Sunday. Fishing seemed a bit "tougher" so far for them this year. I know the water is high. The one thing I saw though is around 4 pairs on one cut bank, shallow water, well kind of shallow under 16 inches and they seemed to be setting up on thier spawning beds. I watched a huge hen roll and kick gravel and lay over it as a few "crazed" males worked around here. Between the wife and I we saw this with 5 different fish. Are the bows late spawing too. I know is sure took alot of effort to get them to hit too all over the river. Just wondering what your guys and gals thoughts are on this. I have fished this stream for a long time and dont recall seeing them doing this in mid june.
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 06-18-2008 at 17:16. Reason: info
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Fishing your hole before you get there

It's a late spring/summer. The water temperatures are not as high as they normally are for this time of year. This will prolong the spawning season.

Eagle River, AK

I saw it on the middle Kenai on Wednesday as well. I was fishing from the shore on the upstream side of the mouth of the Upper Killey. There were a number of rainbows sitting in there, most in pairs and holding right over what appeared to be their redds.

Saw several Bows on redds myself last weekend, I'm guessing the eggs don't stand a chance with crowds wading up and down the river. It's very discouraging.